Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Kern River Citra DIPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2013, 04:14 AM   #81
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'm planning on a double batch ~10 gallons for Home Brewer day (5/4). Any final verdict on using original recipe (Nugget for bittering and WLP001) vs using warrior and another yeast?

Brewguyver - the man who does everything wrong so you won't have to!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #82
Dave1096
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveBeer2 View Post
I am truley lazy and dry hopped leaf and pellets without a bag. i even cold crashed with the hops in for a few more days. No grassy flavors.

This beer gets better with age. It gets less grapefruit and more balanced every day. Unfortunetly this keg will kick soon. May have to tinker with this one to make it my own. Next time I'm using a different yeast.
My next batch based on this recipe I'm going to use Conan yeast to see how that turns out.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #83
mooshimanx
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I recommend against changing the gravity on this one. Its balance and flavor work really well where they are at and I agree its a very borderline "imperial IPA."

I've had very good luck so far making it as a 6 gallon recipe and doing 100% of the dry hopping in the fermenting bucket, and then crashing on Day 12. I then rack off of the sludge and got close to commercial levels of clarity (well, the commercial brewers who aren't flat-out filtering to sterile levels) in the 8 days it took to carbonate.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:29 PM   #84
arborman
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooshimanx
I recommend against changing the gravity on this one. Its balance and flavor work really well where they are at and I agree its a very borderline "imperial IPA."

I've had very good luck so far making it as a 6 gallon recipe and doing 100% of the dry hopping in the fermenting bucket, and then crashing on Day 12. I then rack off of the sludge and got close to commercial levels of clarity (well, the commercial brewers who aren't flat-out filtering to sterile levels) in the 8 days it took to carbonate.
Well, I'll let you know how my batch comes out. Going for a 5 gal batch, and bumped the gravity to 1.075. Pretty small increase, so I hope it keeps things in balance.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #85
arborman
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 33

How long did you guys find it took for this beer to ferment for? I'm coming up on 7 days, and I'm going to pull a hydro sample. Per the podcast, they say it can be anywhere from 6-8 days before they rack and dryhop. I used San Diego super yeast from white labs, which is supposed to be a fast fermenting yeast. My ferm started within 2 hrs of pitching

Old 04-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #86
Dave1096
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by arborman View Post
How long did you guys find it took for this beer to ferment for? I'm coming up on 7 days, and I'm going to pull a hydro sample. Per the podcast, they say it can be anywhere from 6-8 days before they rack and dryhop. I used San Diego super yeast from white labs, which is supposed to be a fast fermenting yeast. My ferm started within 2 hrs of pitching
I left mine in primary for 12 days (probably longer than I had to) and transferred to my corny keg for dry hopping/secondary. When I transferred my gravity reading was 1.010 and had been for about 4 days. Be patient with this beer. After the 12 days of dry hopping I couldn't wait to get it carbed up so I could drink it, and at first I was a little disappointed. It was good but nothing special. It's been kegged for about 2 weeks now, and it tastes like a completely different beer than it did 10 days ago. It's hitting it's sweet spot, and it's awesome.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #87
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1096

I left mine in primary for 12 days (probably longer than I had to) and transferred to my corny keg for dry hopping/secondary. When I transferred my gravity reading was 1.010 and had been for about 4 days. Be patient with this beer. After the 12 days of dry hopping I couldn't wait to get it carbed up so I could drink it, and at first I was a little disappointed. It was good but nothing special. It's been kegged for about 2 weeks now, and it tastes like a completely different beer than it did 10 days ago. It's hitting it's sweet spot, and it's awesome.
I went 22 days in the conical then racked to carboys for dry hopping. I was at 1.014. It fermented at about 62 degrees.

Secondaries - None
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: Belgian Dirty Blonde Trappist Ale, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Chocolate Cherry Stout

Old 04-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #88
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 32 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 3430

Just brewed this yesterday, had to use 8oz corn sugar to hit the OG. My efficiency is a little low.
Wort smelled delicious as a i racked to the FV. Great brew that ive been trying to get my hands on but it seems this is a close clone so 5gal will suffice!

Cheers vegan thx for another sick DIPA recipe. Brewing your updated Heady recipe on sunday!

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone
theveganbrewer Likes This 
Old 05-01-2013, 04:54 AM   #89
2centswort
Recipes 

I brewed this on 3/24 and stuck to the recipe with the exception of of using wyeast 1056. Kept in primary for 21 days and racked to a keg for dry hopping. Got down to 1.008. Close to 8% ABV. It turned out awesome. The balance between the hops and malt is perfect and goes down SMOOTH. If you can find citra hops I highly encourage you to try this one out. Think of it as a double Zombie Dust.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:11 AM   #90
hopstupid
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Kern is bringing citra to the Firestone Walker Invitational Beer Festival

If you go make sure to stop by their booth

Quick Reply