Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Kern River Citra DIPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #61
hopstupid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by joety View Post
I might have to pickup some of those bags. If I drop them in directly the later additions may not have time to precipitate out and I don't want a murky looking beer.
the real deal citra is murky but delicious

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #62
arborman
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopstupid

the real deal citra is murky but delicious
I like murky

Old 04-12-2013, 02:00 AM   #63
arborman
Recipes 

So, I am planning on brewing this next weekend.... I listened to the podcast, and have all my ingredients. One thing I really took away from the Podcast was when Kyle said that its really easy to over do Citra... He mentioned that if overdone, it can make it seem like you are drinking fruit juice.

Well, this week I had single hop beer that is made by Knee Deep Brewing. Its a Citra Pale Ale. My final impressions on that beer was that I almost felt like I was drinking fruit juice. I am hoping it may have been a bad bottle ( it was also very lightly carbonated), as they are one of my favorite breweries right now, but I became worried about brewing this Citra IPA.

I like bitterness in my IPA, and not an overly sweet IPA. Are any of you who brewed this finding that its a bit overdone on Citra, or that is has fruit juice qualities to it? Man, I don't want to brew Mango juice! I am hoping you guys who have brewed this, or have had the real deal, can ease my mind that brewing this is the right thing to do. I am committed to brewing this, I just hope it turns out to be a great beer like its cracked up to be!

Old 04-12-2013, 02:14 AM   #64
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by arborman View Post
So, I am planning on brewing this next weekend.... I listened to the podcast, and have all my ingredients. One thing I really took away from the Podcast was when Kyle said that its really easy to over do Citra... He mentioned that if overdone, it can make it seem like you are drinking fruit juice.

Well, this week I had single hop beer that is made by Knee Deep Brewing. Its a Citra Pale Ale. My final impressions on that beer was that I almost felt like I was drinking fruit juice. I am hoping it may have been a bad bottle ( it was also very lightly carbonated), as they are one of my favorite breweries right now, but I became worried about brewing this Citra IPA.

I like bitterness in my IPA, and not an overly sweet IPA. Are any of you who brewed this finding that its a bit overdone on Citra, or that is has fruit juice qualities to it? Man, I don't want to brew Mango juice! I am hoping you guys who have brewed this, or have had the real deal, can ease my mind that brewing this is the right thing to do. I am committed to brewing this, I just hope it turns out to be a great beer like its cracked up to be!
It is fruit juicy. At ~60IBUs, it's to be expected, it's also very close to what the real deal tastes like, which, this being a clone, is a good thing. If you really want bitterness, you should add some harsher traditional bittering hops if you want to get away from the Citra juice effect.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 04-12-2013, 02:22 AM   #65
hopstupid
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:

It smells like fruit juice, it has a really good balance if u get it down to 1.010 it won't be to sweet. Drank my last bottle a couple weeks ago from the last release it smelled like pineapple juice. yum It's not really bitter though it's just right

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/14064/56082

Old 04-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #66
sk888smooth
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My keg sadly ran dry of this one last night. It is a sad day today. This beer was a hair bitter when I first kegged it, but it wore off and was perfect afterward. This actually tasted identical to Zombie dust with an oz of cascade in the dry hop vs Armarillo.

Primary: English ESB
Secondary:
Kegged: Barleywine, Wookey Jack Clone
Next on Deck: Gumball Head Clone

Old 04-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #67
Jeremy_N
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Just started the mash. First attempt at this recipe.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #68
Dave1096
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_N View Post
Just started the mash. First attempt at this recipe.
Just added my 4th dry hop addition yesterday and began force carbonation. Hopefully will be drinking quality Citra by this time next week, but the flat sample I had today was awesome.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #69
arborman
Recipes 

Curious to know if everyone is going into a secondary with this one? I'd prefer to keep in primary, even with the dry hopping schedule, but would do a secondary if its recommended. Cheers!

Old 04-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #70
Dave1096
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Curious to know if everyone is going into a secondary with this one? I'd prefer to keep in primary, even with the dry hopping schedule, but would do a secondary if its recommended. Cheers!
I did my secondary and dry hopping in the keg. Worked great for me. Also, I emailed Kyle from Kern River Brewing, and he told me that he leaves all of the dry hop additions in together until he racks after 12 days of dry hopping...doesn't remove each addition before adding the next.

Quick Reply