Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Kern River Citra DIPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #51
arborman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

This looks like a great brew. However, has anyone boosted the malt a bit? It seems a little light on the ABV side for a double IPA. I was thinking of raising my 2 row to 13lbs. I'd be curious to see if anyone else has done this to gain some gravity points, and if so, what did you add?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #52
ILoveBeer2
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think this recipe tastes good as is. You can boost the gravity but you will also need to boost bitterness to keep the beer balanced. BeerSmith can help you with the calculation. I'd do it for you but I'm at work.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #53
Dave1096
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Just about to transfer out of primary and I think I will dry hop in the keg so that I can sleep at night dry hopping without an airlock or any kind of pressure release. Anybody know whether or not each dry hop addition is supposed to be removed before adding the next addition?

Also, I need a little clarification on the dry hop schedule. In the podcast, Kyle says that he counts the day that each addition is added as a day. For example, If I add my first dry hop addition on Monday I'm adding my second addition on Wednesday (Mon, Tues, Wed = 3 days). So do I count Wednesday as the last day of my first addition and also as the first day of my second addition? Is it 12 calendar days or 12 counted days? After listening to the podcast I was under the impression that it should look like this:

1st addition - Mon, Tues, Wed
2nd addition - Wed, Thurs, Fri
3rd addition - Fri, Sat, Sun
4th addition - Sun, Mon, Tues

That's 12 counted days, but really only 8 consecutive days of dry hopping. Did anybody else get this from what Kyle says in the podcast? Thanks for your input, guys.

Anybody?

Old 04-03-2013, 12:01 AM   #54
hopstupid
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1096 View Post
Just about to transfer out of primary and I think I will dry hop in the keg so that I can sleep at night dry hopping without an airlock or any kind of pressure release. Anybody know whether or not each dry hop addition is supposed to be removed before adding the next addition?

Also, I need a little clarification on the dry hop schedule. In the podcast, Kyle says that he counts the day that each addition is added as a day. For example, If I add my first dry hop addition on Monday I'm adding my second addition on Wednesday (Mon, Tues, Wed = 3 days). So do I count Wednesday as the last day of my first addition and also as the first day of my second addition? Is it 12 calendar days or 12 counted days? After listening to the podcast I was under the impression that it should look like this:

That's 12 counted days, but really only 8 consecutive days of dry hopping. Did anybody else get this from what Kyle says in the podcast? Thanks for your input, guys.

Anybody?
hit up kyle he is cool guy I'm sure he will get back to you if want know exactly

beer@kernriverbrewing.com

Old 04-03-2013, 12:21 AM   #55
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1096 View Post

Anybody?
It doesn't matter that much, but 3 days each. M-W, Th-Sat, Sun-Tue,Wed-Friday. Ready to go on Saturday morning.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 04-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #56
Jeremy_N
Recipes 

I plan on making this my next brew. Are you guys leaving each dry hop addition in there until bottling/kegging? Or are you pulling them out after 3 days. Sorry if that question was answered... I did not see that addressed. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #57
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_N View Post
I plan on making this my next brew. Are you guys leaving each dry hop addition in there until bottling/kegging? Or are you pulling them out after 3 days. Sorry if that question was answered... I did not see that addressed. Thanks for the help.
Pull them out. IMO you could probably cut this into 2 or 3 part dry hop and not tell much difference.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 04-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #58
Dave1096
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_N View Post

I was wondering the same thing. I'm dry hopping mine in the keg, and I just threw in my second dry hop addition with my first. I have my dry hops in a muslin bag, and I'm going to leave all of the additions in together until it's done dry hopping...shouldn't have to worry about grassy flavors after 12 days, but to be safe I'll probably cool the keg from 67 degrees down to serving temp right when I add my fourth addition. It smells awesome after only 3 days dry hopping, though.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #59
Jeremy_N
Recipes 

Thanks guys. I'm going to dry hop in the keg at my basement temp of 68 to keep my aromas from blowing off as well. I'll be using the hop bags. I'll probably pull each addition out when the next is added. Or a hybrid where I pull the oldest addition out after 7 days.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #60
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I might have to pickup some of those bags. If I drop them in directly the later additions may not have time to precipitate out and I don't want a murky looking beer.

Secondaries - Sunday Night Hoppy Pale Ale
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: American Wheat/Rye, Nut Brown Ale, Munich Helles, Belgian Stout, Resurrection Milk Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Baltic Porter

Quick Reply