Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Kern River Citra DIPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #31
mooshimanx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I just made this beer and just put it on keg. It's not completely carbed up (although I shook some in, but apparently not enough to get it completely carbonated.

I ended up scaling the recipe up to a 6 gallon recipe because I (correctly) figured the trub and hop losses were going to be pretty significant. I also ended up modifying the recipe to use up all of the 2 oz. hop bags, so a lot of the weird numbers were rounded up from numbers like .85 oz. to just full ounces in the dry hop in particular and I used Warrior instead of Nugget as the bittering charge because I just got a pound of 2012 Warrior in and I couldn't justify buying more hops just for a 1 oz. bittering charge. I think I threw in .5 oz. of Citra at flame out as well since I had a lonely bit of Citra just sitting in the bag and I wasn't going to dry hop for 10 days.

In any case, the beer turned out great and I went from a slight OG undershoot down to 1.011. The beer was fermented using US-05 @ 68 ambient in my house the entire time. The only thing I'm slightly skeptical about is the necessity for the 12 day aggressive dry hop. As much as I like dry hops I think its kind of overkill to do it this way. It also makes the beer quite expensive to brew. I also think people will be skeptical when I tell them this is a double. The bitterness level is both quite smooth and not really all that high in the first place, not that these are bad things.

I'd definitely brew this one again, although in retrospect I think I'd modify the dry hop to be less labor intensive and just put a huge charge in at Day 9 and another huge charge ~3-4 days after that and rack off on Day 8 or 9, or even put that one bagged straight into the keg.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #32
bighorn_brew
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Can you please post your scaled up recipe please? I do six gallon batches as well....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #33
sk888smooth
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Having an issue here. I'm using iBrewmaster and it is reading an OG of only 1.059 after I plugged everything in using a 70% efficiency. I changed the 2-Row to Briess, but that is the only alteration. Is there something I could be missing here?

One of the grains is off the screen, but they're all up there.

Thanks!

screenshot_2013-02-14-09-25-32-1-.jpg  

Primary: Citra DIPA
Secondary:
Kegged: Barleywine, Hard Cider, Wookey Jack Clone, Encohs's IPA
Next on Deck: English ESB

Old 02-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #34
sk888smooth
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I see my efficiency is a bit off - upped it and got closer, but still a bit off. I think the original recipe is a few points off

Primary: Citra DIPA
Secondary:
Kegged: Barleywine, Hard Cider, Wookey Jack Clone, Encohs's IPA
Next on Deck: English ESB

Old 02-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #35
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk888smooth View Post
I see my efficiency is a bit off - upped it and got closer, but still a bit off. I think the original recipe is a few points off
Not sure what's going on there. I've just pulled it up in beersmith and get the same numbers as in the OP. I noticed the SRM is quite a bit darker in ibrewmaster, wonder if there are just some differences with the grain information between the programs?

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 02-16-2013, 12:12 AM   #36
mooshimanx
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorn_brew View Post
Can you please post your scaled up recipe please? I do six gallon batches as well....
Its on my computer at home, but I mostly just scaled up using Beersmith's scaling function. I did correct some of the hopping (mostly in the dry hop) so that it would end up using all of the little 2 oz. foil packs of hops I had on hand. If I were doing it with 1 lb. bags there's no reason to correct.

I think I also ended up bumping the 60 min. Warrior addition by a minute amount based on the AA% of this year's crop, but it should have been the same. I'm not at home to put the recipe up at the moment, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk888smooth View Post
Having an issue here. I'm using iBrewmaster and it is reading an OG of only 1.059 after I plugged everything in using a 70% efficiency. I changed the 2-Row to Briess, but that is the only alteration. Is there something I could be missing here?

One of the grains is off the screen, but they're all up there.

Thanks!
Well the original OP recipe is 75% efficiency and yours is 70%, but that probably wouldn't account for 11 gravity points. I wonder if iBM has some different gravity point contribution for one or more of the malts? It could also be your boil off rate/equipment settings - I usually boil off a lot more than 8/10 of a gallon in 60 minutes myself.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #37
comeimalion
Recipes 

Would anyone be interested in converting this to extract?

Old 03-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #38
mooshimanx
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeimalion View Post
Would anyone be interested in converting this to extract?
The wheat, the Munich and the Honey malt all require a mash. You could use very small amounts of wheat and munich extract, but I think that would be prohibitively expensive given the amounts used in the recipe. Unless you want to partial mash, I'd recommend skipping them and proceeding with a little extra C40 (which will result in a darker color, but might get you some of the sweetness from the missing Honey Malt).

I just brewed this again and used 2012 crop Citra. I'll let you guys know how it turned out; same recipe as before, subbed Warrior for Nugget as bittering based on AA%.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:01 AM   #39
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooshimanx View Post
I just made this beer and just put it on keg. It's not completely carbed up (although I shook some in, but apparently not enough to get it completely carbonated.

I ended up scaling the recipe up to a 6 gallon recipe because I (correctly) figured the trub and hop losses were going to be pretty significant. I also ended up modifying the recipe to use up all of the 2 oz. hop bags, so a lot of the weird numbers were rounded up from numbers like .85 oz. to just full ounces in the dry hop in particular and I used Warrior instead of Nugget as the bittering charge because I just got a pound of 2012 Warrior in and I couldn't justify buying more hops just for a 1 oz. bittering charge. I think I threw in .5 oz. of Citra at flame out as well since I had a lonely bit of Citra just sitting in the bag and I wasn't going to dry hop for 10 days.

In any case, the beer turned out great and I went from a slight OG undershoot down to 1.011. The beer was fermented using US-05 @ 68 ambient in my house the entire time. The only thing I'm slightly skeptical about is the necessity for the 12 day aggressive dry hop. As much as I like dry hops I think its kind of overkill to do it this way. It also makes the beer quite expensive to brew. I also think people will be skeptical when I tell them this is a double. The bitterness level is both quite smooth and not really all that high in the first place, not that these are bad things.

I'd definitely brew this one again, although in retrospect I think I'd modify the dry hop to be less labor intensive and just put a huge charge in at Day 9 and another huge charge ~3-4 days after that and rack off on Day 8 or 9, or even put that one bagged straight into the keg.
I too was skeptical having brewed this before having the real thing. But I recently had the real thing and it's not very bitter, is very heavily hopped, and tastes an awful lot like the clone.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 03-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #40
mooshimanx
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
I too was skeptical having brewed this before having the real thing. But I recently had the real thing and it's not very bitter, is very heavily hopped, and tastes an awful lot like the clone.
I'm about to go into the dry hop for this beer again due to a request to have it ready for a second go-round. However, this time, I used all Citra from the 2012 crop instead of leftover 2 oz. bags from an unknown year. I don't feel this is going to make a huge difference, but it might be interesting to see if there's an aroma difference. This time, however, I hit my volumes and gravity a lot closer, producing a 1.072 wort instead of 1.065. Just a slight overshoot.

When I first carbed this beer up and poured a pint, it had this crazy tropical fruit flavor to it that was really interesting, but it faded out within a few days. It was really excellent both ways. This is a really great recipe, although I'm not entirely sure if the dry hop charges are supposed to be removed after each addition. What I ended up doing was dry hopping in the primary for the first 2 additions, then racking to a CO2 purged secondary and dry hopping the next two additions, and then racking to a keg to serve.

My intent for the second batch was to use WLP001 like the actual recipe to test the liquid/dry differences (even though they are purportedly the same yeast). However, I managed to mess up the starter I had prepared so I used 2 backup sachets of US-05 again. I guess I'll have to make a third batch to do the comparison.

Quick Reply