Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Kern River Citra DIPA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #11
Vertra
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

It looks interesting, though the bitterness ratio looks pretty darn low. Maybe it is personal preference speaking but when I do DIPAs I aim for around 1.6-1.8 bittering ratio especially if I am using something as good as citra/simcoe/galaxy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #12
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertra View Post
It looks interesting, though the bitterness ratio looks pretty darn low. Maybe it is personal preference speaking but when I do DIPAs I aim for around 1.6-1.8 bittering ratio especially if I am using something as good as citra/simcoe/galaxy.
I just went off what the head brewer at Kern provide as IBU targets. Everything I've read about the beer says it's a slight, smooth bitterness. Will be tasting on Friday, so we'll see.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 08-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #13
Tombstone0
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound View Post
I've only brewed with Galaxy once - a single hop pale ale. I'd say the flavor is less pronounced than Citra, but it's a nice hop. I think you're really going to like it in this recipe.
I just did the first dry hop addition and the mixture of amarillo and galaxy smelled great. I hit 1.010 as my final gravity and the sample tasted very good so I have high hopes for this beer.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #14
CrystalShip
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 13

This recipe looks great, I look forward to trying it. One question though.... I added up the grain bill and got a total of 12.65lbs of grist. The mash step of this recipe suggests 15lbs. This is a 12.65lb recipe right?

Old 08-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #15
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 264

Good eye CrystalShip, I think I might have had part of the 6 gallon batch on my blog post. I've corrected the OP, it's 12 lbs 10.4 ounces.

I just kegged this today and ended up with a lot less than I expected because I ran out of pellet and had to use whole leaf on the last half of the dry hop. But, I had a sample and it was really amazing. Nicely balanced, smooth lingering bitterness, ridiculous fruity nose, completely surrounded by citrus fruits . The color is spot on, a lovely cloudy golden orange color.

I can't wait to have this carbed up and on tap for all of about 5 days till we drink it all. Better bottle a couple for safe keeping a month later.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 08-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #16
striles
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As anyone tried making a clone of Fort George's Vortex IPA? If so, please share. Thanks

Old 08-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #17
Sowen
Recipes 

This recipe sounds great! I'm a newbie on the boards. I've been on HBT a million times, but finally decided to sign up.
Grain bill looks really good. I was wondering about using the same grain bill, but go with completely different hops.
5 gal brew
Bittering Hop: Pacific Jade (13.1% AA) at 60 mins - 1 oz.
Aromatic Hops: Riwaka (5.9% AA) & Zythos (10.0% AA) at 20, 10, 5, 0 mins - 0.5oz. each addition.
Dry Hops: Amarillo (9.2% AA) & Citra (14.5% AA) in the secondary for 7 days - 1.0oz. each

I really like the citrusy aroma of the citra and amarillo hops. I have yet to try the Pacific Jade, Riwaka, and Zythos - although I have read that they also have amazing citrus/floral aromas.
Has anyone used the above hops before? Any info or feedback would be appreciated!

Old 09-13-2012, 03:13 AM   #18
bguzz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am drinking this now...I made it exactly as listed except I used Pacman yeast and my dry hopping was one ounce for each interval to make it easy. It's fantastic! I've made lots of IPA's and this is the tops. Having several people over this weekend who are all IPA fans, so we'll see what they think. But I'm plenty happy. I hit 1.071 OG and 1.011 FG. I love this beer!!!!!

Old 09-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #19
curry767
Recipes 

Thanks much for posting this recipe.

I love this beer and I'll have a crack at it soon.

Cheers

Old 10-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #20
dhardeman
Recipes 

I made this recipe from the podcast as well. I also tweaked the recipe for hop utilization and scaled it up a bit for trub/hop loss. Let me know if anyone wants my exact recipe. This beer turned out fantastic. Actually best beer I have made but thats probably because I am a hop head and obcessed with Citra. It was planned for our homebrew club summer picnic in September and it took second best out of 27 brews. Lost to a mead, lame . Dont ask, it was best of show.

I would highly suggest anyone to brew this if you can acquire the Citra hops. I like the Galaxy hop substitution idea. I cant get anymore Citra and I have friends begging me to make this again. Maybe I will try that. Let us know how the Galaxy mix turns out.

Quick Reply