Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Kern River Citra DIPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #131
mooshimanx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I really love this homebrew recipe and get requests to keep it on all the time. Definitely give it a try if you haven't and want to wow people with an IPA.

I did this beer again but changed the hop additions from Citra to Amarillo and the Amarillo dry hop additions to Nelson Sauvin (again used Warrior for bittering). I really like the grain bill in this beer for a DIPA at the bitterness level of the regular Citra beer (maybe I'll try and get it up to 100 IBU next time and see if I like it as much). Its got the right amount of sweetness, dryness and the right amount of bitterness. Not sure how changing the hop bill will affect it, but I had a crapload of 2011/2012 Amarillo hops I bought in the freezer, so I figured I'd use 'em up in the big dry hop. I did increase most of the Amarillo additions to compensate for the age of the hops + lower oil/AA content of Amarillo v. Citra.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #132
linerndunch110
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yea I'm with you buddy. I've now brewed this 4 or 5 times with varying hop profiles and the same grain bill.

Dry hopping seems to be an abridged 9 days with some blended Amarillo.

I've done continously hopped citra every 5 min with .25 oz starting at 40 min for a 60 min boil. Amarillo blended in at 25, 15, and 5. Came out very nice.

The profile is a touch sweeter and inviting for the mouthfeel. Lots of freedom here.

Love it!

Keg: Autumn Cider, Schizophrenic Mexican, Oktoberfest
Bottle: Brown Ale
Ferm: Citra DIPA, Cider revision,

Old 08-09-2013, 11:10 PM   #133
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have opened a few bottles already at less than 2 weeks and it is like liquid citra (what I named it). My OG was 1.052 after brewing and I added some DME and sugar to some water and boiled it with a small dose of citra. After that I got it to 1.062 and added per the hop schedule except I subbed centennial for Amarillo since they are nearly impossible to find currently and I only used 1 oz of centennial instead of the 1.5 oz.

It went from 1.062 to 1.006 and does taste phenomenal. Can't wait until it is fully carbed. Hoping to come across some Amarillo soon to try that, but it will probably be a while before I make this again. Blows away the IPA I made last year with no dry hopping.

Started brewing February 2012:
All grain and partial mash brewer depending on time. Meads and apfelwein also.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #134
trginter
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Completely missed my OG, measured 1.046. Boiled up 3lbs of DME and added it to the fermentor. Took a new reading and it read 1.052. 3lbs of DME should of added more than 6 gravity points. It was also my first time using dry yeast, US-05. I boiled a cup of water and stirred the yeast in. Although I think the water was too hot when I added in the yeast. No signs of fermentation after 36 hours so I sprinkled another packet into the fermentor. Heres hoping this beer is at least drinkable...

Old 08-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #135
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

3 lbs of DME should add .120/5= .024 or so gravity points to your beer. (1.040 points per gallon). I ended up adding less DME than that with what I had available, but I also boiled some hops with mine to keep up with the bitterness and flavor of the beer and did not add much water. It seems like this has greatly improved to a super bitter (good) and citra aromatic Double IPA 3 weeks after bottling. It's pretty amazing in my opinion. I botched up my recipe and did the same thing, but not with as much DME and it turned out amazing.

For anyone new to all grain, I would add more base grain to bump up the gravity if you have trouble hitting the targets. This beer is awesome even if you don't.

trginter Likes This 
Old 08-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #136
Brewbien
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Just added my second dry hop addition to a Conan version of this. Can't wait to taste it.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #137
trginter
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I brewed this about a week ago and sampled some today to check flavors and gravity and it's tasting pretty hot (boozy). I'm hoping it's still got some fermenting to do and those flavors will mellow out.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #138
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Although I probably can't duplicate the results on my batch that I added a gravity patch to, it ended up scoring a 45 and 43 in my monthly master brewer contest and took first place. It is my first first place beer award and more incentive to brew this again. Not overly bitter and the aroma is thru the roof.

Might brew again for bluebonnet next year.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #139
HappiBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Must try this. I love Citra heavy IPAs.

Support your local roller derby.

No T.V. no beer make Homer something something something...

Old 10-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #140
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewbien View Post
Just added my second dry hop addition to a Conan version of this. Can't wait to taste it.
How did the Conan turn out? Did it attenuate well? Going to be brewing this with Conan next weekend.

Quick Reply