Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Kern River Citra DIPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #111
SoCalMark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Bottled three weeks ago and this is the final result. Epic brew with heavy tropical fruit and very well balanced. Going into the regular rotation!

citra.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #112
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I wrapped up my fermentation last weekend went with the nugget since I don't have warrior on hand. I cold crashed Thursday night and kegged with the final Dry Hop on Saturday around 10 PSI. I would have done the dry hop warm, but since I can't get back to it for two weeks I figured this would be safer. The plan is to bleed it, open it up, and pull the hop bag out next weekend. Can't wait to see how this turns out!

PS - +1 for dry hopping in primary. I did my PTY clone in a single 6.5 gal carboy, so I figured I'd do the same here. One less bottle to clean.

Brewguyver - the man who does everything wrong so you won't have to!

Old 06-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #113
linerndunch110
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just legged this. I altered the hop additions slightly(made additions in .5 and 1 oz quantities). Came out very very good. Definitely a very passion fruit/cities nose with a week rounded bright body. A hop monster but subtle in the attack. Definitely a citra fan here.

Keg: Autumn Cider, Schizophrenic Mexican, Oktoberfest
Bottle: Brown Ale
Ferm: Citra DIPA, Cider revision,

Old 06-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #114
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMark View Post
Bottled three weeks ago and this is the final result. Epic brew with heavy tropical fruit and very well balanced. Going into the regular rotation!
oh my god.. that looks incredible. I need to brew this again.. my favorite IPA recipe to date.

Fall Line Brewing Company

Keg 1 - German Pils
Keg 2 - Falconer's Flight IPA
Keg 3 - Chocolate Porter

Old 06-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #115
jaredr
Recipes 

Brewed this two weekends ago, OG came in at 1.046. Figured out after the fact that my thermometer (been using it for years) was completely inaccurate so I likely mashed around 137 or 138.

That said its down to 1.006 now and the sample still tasted great

This will be my next beer too so I can do it properly.

Thanks for the recipe vegan, enjoy your blog too, will be doing your abrasive recipe sometime soon.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #116
ndak
Recipes 

Was wondering what water to grain ratio and mash time you have been using for this?

Thanks,

Vince

Old 06-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #117
linerndunch110
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Personally, I'm a naturalist if you will. I don't use a hyrdometer(ill get around to it), and I have a very "some of this some of that" cooking/brewing style. I should note my beers get rave reviews among friends and guest, including blind tastes, but I've never entered one in competition.

That said,

I did a partial mash, 1.75g mash to 4lbs grains(2lb 2 row), sparge with 1.75g. Combine, add 6lb dme before the boil.

Sat in primary for 3 weeks. .001 is a savage. Most activity was in day 2-6, and was cleaning up nicely by day 10. Dry hopped after 2 weeks, Kegged and force carbed. Still sitting on the gas and where I want it.

Solid IPA. Definitely a fav. Looking back I might add a touch more zythos(Amarillo) and back off of the first citra addition just a hair. The nose is very passion fruit, and its fantastic the aroma itself could have a bit more body to match the mouthfeel.

I could definitely see kern river tinkering with this one endlessly.

Keg: Autumn Cider, Schizophrenic Mexican, Oktoberfest
Bottle: Brown Ale
Ferm: Citra DIPA, Cider revision,

Old 07-01-2013, 07:12 AM   #118
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Would the fact that I milled my grains 3 weeks ago be the main reason my OG was 1.051? I thought it would be way higher since all the temperatures seemed to be correct for mashing and sparging. Was trying to figure out what else I can do, was thinking of adding a lb of corn sugar. I will pitch yeast in 12 hours or so.

I usually have some difficulty with hitting the OG, but this is ridiculous. My grains were milled 3 weeks ago and kept in my house which can get in the 80's during the day.

Started brewing February 2012:
All grain and partial mash brewer depending on time. Meads and apfelwein also.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #119
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I ended up throwing 4 oz of light DME, 8 oz of amber DME and 12 oz of sugar in a pot and boiled for 15 minutes with a small dose of hops and upped my OG ten points to 1.062 then oxygenated and pitched 2 packs of S-05. Not my preferred plan, but basically what I had available to work with. Will see how it goes.

Started brewing February 2012:
All grain and partial mash brewer depending on time. Meads and apfelwein also.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:45 AM   #120
mooshimanx
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arborman View Post
Im sure you'll be OK.... I purposely modified my recipe to hit 1.074, and actually hit 1.073. Turned out amazing.. Used 001 as well with a hefty starter. I finished at 1.012

One problem I am starting to have: I am about 1/2 way thru my keg. I think my dry hopper from stainless brewing let out a TON of hop particulates into my keg while dry hopping... In fact, I know it did... I get a thick layer of particulate in each glass I pull, and it has not gone away. I am starting to pick up some funky flavors in the beer now. Its not nearly as good as it was when I took my first few pints. Im a little bummed out with this device... I had high hopes for it, but I am now going to be nervous about using it again. I may use it, but put my hops in a bag and then put into the sleeve. I have a surly furious clone to do, and that one uses 8.5 oz of dry hops.
If you do everything on KRBC timelines, the first pint tastes like straight up mango and then levels out to a more traditional flavor profile in about a week. My guess is that the flavor you get on Day 1 of it being carbonated is not the intent.

I just throw the hops directly into the secondary; I assume the stainless unit goes straight up in the keg? I would have assumed that it would just sink out rather than float around like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewguyver View Post
I wrapped up my fermentation last weekend went with the nugget since I don't have warrior on hand. I cold crashed Thursday night and kegged with the final Dry Hop on Saturday around 10 PSI. I would have done the dry hop warm, but since I can't get back to it for two weeks I figured this would be safer. The plan is to bleed it, open it up, and pull the hop bag out next weekend. Can't wait to see how this turns out!

PS - +1 for dry hopping in primary. I did my PTY clone in a single 6.5 gal carboy, so I figured I'd do the same here. One less bottle to clean.
Well, the Nugget is the original recipe, so its probably closer. I didn't see any reason to go with Nugget after doing it with Warrior (which is my generic bittering hop of choice), but I bet any difference would be exceedingly marginal.

Quick Reply