Double IPA Kern River Citra DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theveganbrewer

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
8 @67 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
12 @67 degrees
Tasting Notes
Delicious
Clone Recipe Adapted from Can You Brew It with Jamil featuring Kyle from Kern River.

Basically Kyle came on the show and told everyone how to brew the beer and what ingredients to use. He used the 7BBL recipe for everything except the dry hopping which was given in 20BBL dosage. I have adapted the numbers down to a 5 gallon batch and messed with the hop utilization rates a bit.

Imperial IPA
Type: All Grain Date: 7/24/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.74 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Volume 6.24 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 6.00 gal Est Mash Efficiency 75.0 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs 6 oz Great Western 2 Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 82.0 %
9.2 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.6 %
9.2 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.6 %
9.2 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.6 %
4.4 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 6 2.2 %
4.4 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.2 %
1.00 oz Nugget [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 34.3 IBUs
0.60 oz Citra [10.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 16.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [10.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 8.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [10.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 6.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [10.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 3.6 IBUs
1.15 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 12.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 12.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
0.70 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 9.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
0.90 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 6.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
1.10 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml] Yeast 12 -

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.070 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.070 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.8 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.9 %
Bitterness: 69.9 IBUs Calories: 235.0 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 6.3 SRM

Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 10.4 oz

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 19.73 qt of water at 162.0 F 148.0 F 60 min
Sparge Step: Fly sparge with 3.88 gal water at 168.0 F
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

Notes

Grains-
Briess Carapils, Munich, Crystal, White Wheat.
Gambrinus Honey Malt.

Mash-

Mash for 60 minutes at 148 degrees, no higher than 150. Single infusion. No vorlauf.

White Labs Yeast Nutrient. Koppakleer Tablets from Brewer's supply group, added with 5 minutes left in the boil. No filter.

Whirlpool for 20 minutes after flameout. Cool to 70-78. Kern adds the yeast in the tubes between the boil and the fermenter and it hits an oxygen stone on the way.

Yeast-

California Ale, White Labs 001. Pitch at 70 degrees, hold at 67 the entire time.

Water-
Unfiltered water, same as Sierra Nevada. It's hard water.

Fermentation-

6-8 days in primary. Do not raise temp.

Dry Hopping (pellets)-

Dry hop 2 days after fermentation is complete. Pull yeast off, then dry hop (go to secondary). All dry hopping done warm at 67 degrees. Each dry hop is 3 days. So if you put in the 1st DH on Monday, the next one goes in 2 days later, the day you put them in counts as a day. They cap off the fermenter after each DH. Crash on 12th day for a couple of days. Dump hops and yeast. Carb and drink. :rockin:

I have this fermenting right now. I followed the recipe pretty closely, but i made some adjustments on the dry hopping schedule.

Interested to hear your results. What did you change about the dry hop? I know Jamil and the guys messed with the schedule because of the hop utilization rates. Their numbers are a bit different too.

I brewed this recipe about 4 weeks ago. I missed by OG by about 7 points :( but decided to just let it ride. I was worried that it might be overly bitter, but I tried my first glass last night and it was delicious. The mango/citrus aroma and flavor are over-the-top (in a good way). This is one that I will definitely brew again for my annual club competition.

I'm just about to start dryhopping and the airlock activity smells delicious. I'm very excited. Can't wait for the new crop of Citra to hit the market.

Vegan, let me know how it turns out. I love this beer, and other than hitting my gravity next time, I can't think of anything I'd change.

I just brewed this on Sunday but my lhbs was out of Citra so I subbed in galaxy. I'm excited to try it out, I haven't tried galaxy hops yet.

Interested to hear about Galaxy, I thought about trying them in another recipe calling for copious amounts of Citra. FYI, I called HopsDirect and they are preparing the Citra harvest to release at the end of August and then another batch at the end of October. Apparently they've doubled output. Over 500 acres of citra planted in Washington.

I've only brewed with Galaxy once - a single hop pale ale. I'd say the flavor is less pronounced than Citra, but it's a nice hop. I think you're really going to like it in this recipe.

I brewed this on 8/6 and just took my gravity reading prior to adding my first dry hop. 1.011, right on schedule for a 1.010 finish after the secondary. So, according to the head brewer at Kern, then move off the yeast at day 8 and then start the dryhopping, so that day will be tomorrow for me. No airlock and seal off the fermenter during the dryhop. The taste so far was very good but the dryhopping is going to kick this beer in the ass.

It looks interesting, though the bitterness ratio looks pretty darn low. Maybe it is personal preference speaking but when I do DIPAs I aim for around 1.6-1.8 bittering ratio especially if I am using something as good as citra/simcoe/galaxy.

It looks interesting, though the bitterness ratio looks pretty darn low. Maybe it is personal preference speaking but when I do DIPAs I aim for around 1.6-1.8 bittering ratio especially if I am using something as good as citra/simcoe/galaxy.

I just went off what the head brewer at Kern provide as IBU targets. Everything I've read about the beer says it's a slight, smooth bitterness. Will be tasting on Friday, so we'll see.

I've only brewed with Galaxy once - a single hop pale ale. I'd say the flavor is less pronounced than Citra, but it's a nice hop. I think you're really going to like it in this recipe.

I just did the first dry hop addition and the mixture of amarillo and galaxy smelled great. I hit 1.010 as my final gravity and the sample tasted very good so I have high hopes for this beer.

This recipe looks great, I look forward to trying it. One question though.... I added up the grain bill and got a total of 12.65lbs of grist. The mash step of this recipe suggests 15lbs. This is a 12.65lb recipe right?

Good eye CrystalShip, I think I might have had part of the 6 gallon batch on my blog post. I've corrected the OP, it's 12 lbs 10.4 ounces.

I just kegged this today and ended up with a lot less than I expected because I ran out of pellet and had to use whole leaf on the last half of the dry hop. But, I had a sample and it was really amazing. Nicely balanced, smooth lingering bitterness, ridiculous fruity nose, completely surrounded by citrus fruits . The color is spot on, a lovely cloudy golden orange color.

I can't wait to have this carbed up and on tap for all of about 5 days till we drink it all. Better bottle a couple for safe keeping a month later.

This recipe sounds great! I'm a newbie on the boards. I've been on HBT a million times, but finally decided to sign up.
Grain bill looks really good. I was wondering about using the same grain bill, but go with completely different hops.
5 gal brew
Bittering Hop: Pacific Jade (13.1% AA) at 60 mins - 1 oz.
Aromatic Hops: Riwaka (5.9% AA) & Zythos (10.0% AA) at 20, 10, 5, 0 mins - 0.5oz. each addition.
Dry Hops: Amarillo (9.2% AA) & Citra (14.5% AA) in the secondary for 7 days - 1.0oz. each

I really like the citrusy aroma of the citra and amarillo hops. I have yet to try the Pacific Jade, Riwaka, and Zythos - although I have read that they also have amazing citrus/floral aromas.
Has anyone used the above hops before? Any info or feedback would be appreciated!

I am drinking this now...I made it exactly as listed except I used Pacman yeast and my dry hopping was one ounce for each interval to make it easy. It's fantastic! I've made lots of IPA's and this is the tops. Having several people over this weekend who are all IPA fans, so we'll see what they think. But I'm plenty happy. I hit 1.071 OG and 1.011 FG. I love this beer!!!!!

I made this recipe from the podcast as well. I also tweaked the recipe for hop utilization and scaled it up a bit for trub/hop loss. Let me know if anyone wants my exact recipe. This beer turned out fantastic. Actually best beer I have made but thats probably because I am a hop head and obcessed with Citra. It was planned for our homebrew club summer picnic in September and it took second best out of 27 brews. Lost to a mead, lame :mad:. Dont ask, it was best of show. :off:

I would highly suggest anyone to brew this if you can acquire the Citra hops. I like the Galaxy hop substitution idea. I cant get anymore Citra and I have friends begging me to make this again. Maybe I will try that. Let us know how the Galaxy mix turns out.

I listened to the podcast again.

The recipe in the OP seems to go with the Recipe/percentages laid out by Kern's head brewer.

At the end of the show, Tasty said his clone had a couple differences:

1.) Tasty used Warrior for bittering instead of Nugget.
2.) Tasty also moved the 30 minute addition to flame out.

I am wondering where he bridged the gap on IBU's as 16-17 is a decent percentage of the bitterness. I guess you could up the 15 minute addition - thoughts?

I have the original recipe in the mash tun now. I was tempted to up the ABV but resisted the urge. Really wanted more bite for the amount of Citra I am using. Anyone tried to do that? Maybe next time I will.

Followed the recipe from the CYBI podcast as well; my OG came out low and my FG high, but otherwise the beer is very tasty. Huge hop aroma and flavor, as you'd expect.

Posted my brewday and tasting notes on my blog if anyone wants to compare their results:

http://meekbrewingco.blogspot.ca

I just poured my last and kicked the keg, exactly 3 months after brew day. Damn tasty. Mine ended up at 7.9%, thanks to a pure O2 kit and healthy starter. I've never had this much aroma in a beer this old, could smell it coming out of the tap. I've bottled two 22ozs for future consumption.

Just finished brewing. Only hit 1.065, a bit disappointing considering my FG is always high. Hopefully mashing around 149 and pitching two re-hydrated packs of S-05 will get me to 1.011 (7%).

I listened to the podcast again.

The recipe in the OP seems to go with the Recipe/percentages laid out by Kern's head brewer.

At the end of the show, Tasty said his clone had a couple differences:

1.) Tasty used Warrior for bittering instead of Nugget.
2.) Tasty also moved the 30 minute addition to flame out.

I am wondering where he bridged the gap on IBU's as 16-17 is a decent percentage of the bitterness. I guess you could up the 15 minute addition - thoughts?

I think I am going to go with Warrior next time, there was something just a tiny bit off in mine and I think Warrior will fix it. To match IBUs, 1oz of Warrior for 60 minutes and moving the 30 minute Citra to flameout will come out equal. I'm going to give that a shot next month.

I think I am going to go with Warrior next time, there was something just a tiny bit off in mine and I think Warrior will fix it. To match IBUs, 1oz of Warrior for 60 minutes and moving the 30 minute Citra to flameout will come out equal. I'm going to give that a shot next month.

Cool - that's what i was thinking as well.

I brewed this yesterday but with mosaic hops. I might be brewing it again. With Citra around the time you do.

I've not tried them but am interested to hear how yours turns out.

Sampled a bottle early last night (7 days bottled). Very happy with this beer. Mosiac is the closest thing to Citra I've had so far. Strong aroma and it works VERY well this grain bill. It would be fun to do this brew again with Mosaic AND Citra 50/50.

I am brewing Tuesday, and if I didn't already have my grains weighed out for an English IPA; I would be brewing this again. I hate to be cliche, but this has got to be one of the best recipes I've brewed.

I just made this beer and just put it on keg. It's not completely carbed up (although I shook some in, but apparently not enough to get it completely carbonated.

I ended up scaling the recipe up to a 6 gallon recipe because I (correctly) figured the trub and hop losses were going to be pretty significant. I also ended up modifying the recipe to use up all of the 2 oz. hop bags, so a lot of the weird numbers were rounded up from numbers like .85 oz. to just full ounces in the dry hop in particular and I used Warrior instead of Nugget as the bittering charge because I just got a pound of 2012 Warrior in and I couldn't justify buying more hops just for a 1 oz. bittering charge. I think I threw in .5 oz. of Citra at flame out as well since I had a lonely bit of Citra just sitting in the bag and I wasn't going to dry hop for 10 days.

In any case, the beer turned out great and I went from a slight OG undershoot down to 1.011. The beer was fermented using US-05 @ 68 ambient in my house the entire time. The only thing I'm slightly skeptical about is the necessity for the 12 day aggressive dry hop. As much as I like dry hops I think its kind of overkill to do it this way. It also makes the beer quite expensive to brew. I also think people will be skeptical when I tell them this is a double. The bitterness level is both quite smooth and not really all that high in the first place, not that these are bad things.

I'd definitely brew this one again, although in retrospect I think I'd modify the dry hop to be less labor intensive and just put a huge charge in at Day 9 and another huge charge ~3-4 days after that and rack off on Day 8 or 9, or even put that one bagged straight into the keg.

Having an issue here. I'm using iBrewmaster and it is reading an OG of only 1.059 after I plugged everything in using a 70% efficiency. I changed the 2-Row to Briess, but that is the only alteration. Is there something I could be missing here?

One of the grains is off the screen, but they're all up there.

Thanks!

Screenshot_2013-02-14-09-25-32[1].jpg

I see my efficiency is a bit off - upped it and got closer, but still a bit off. I think the original recipe is a few points off

I see my efficiency is a bit off - upped it and got closer, but still a bit off. I think the original recipe is a few points off

Not sure what's going on there. I've just pulled it up in beersmith and get the same numbers as in the OP. I noticed the SRM is quite a bit darker in ibrewmaster, wonder if there are just some differences with the grain information between the programs?

Can you please post your scaled up recipe please? I do six gallon batches as well....

Its on my computer at home, but I mostly just scaled up using Beersmith's scaling function. I did correct some of the hopping (mostly in the dry hop) so that it would end up using all of the little 2 oz. foil packs of hops I had on hand. If I were doing it with 1 lb. bags there's no reason to correct.

I think I also ended up bumping the 60 min. Warrior addition by a minute amount based on the AA% of this year's crop, but it should have been the same. I'm not at home to put the recipe up at the moment, though.

Having an issue here. I'm using iBrewmaster and it is reading an OG of only 1.059 after I plugged everything in using a 70% efficiency. I changed the 2-Row to Briess, but that is the only alteration. Is there something I could be missing here?

One of the grains is off the screen, but they're all up there.

Thanks!

Well the original OP recipe is 75% efficiency and yours is 70%, but that probably wouldn't account for 11 gravity points. I wonder if iBM has some different gravity point contribution for one or more of the malts? It could also be your boil off rate/equipment settings - I usually boil off a lot more than 8/10 of a gallon in 60 minutes myself.

Would anyone be interested in converting this to extract?

The wheat, the Munich and the Honey malt all require a mash. You could use very small amounts of wheat and munich extract, but I think that would be prohibitively expensive given the amounts used in the recipe. Unless you want to partial mash, I'd recommend skipping them and proceeding with a little extra C40 (which will result in a darker color, but might get you some of the sweetness from the missing Honey Malt).

I just brewed this again and used 2012 crop Citra. I'll let you guys know how it turned out; same recipe as before, subbed Warrior for Nugget as bittering based on AA%.

I just made this beer and just put it on keg. It's not completely carbed up (although I shook some in, but apparently not enough to get it completely carbonated.

I ended up scaling the recipe up to a 6 gallon recipe because I (correctly) figured the trub and hop losses were going to be pretty significant. I also ended up modifying the recipe to use up all of the 2 oz. hop bags, so a lot of the weird numbers were rounded up from numbers like .85 oz. to just full ounces in the dry hop in particular and I used Warrior instead of Nugget as the bittering charge because I just got a pound of 2012 Warrior in and I couldn't justify buying more hops just for a 1 oz. bittering charge. I think I threw in .5 oz. of Citra at flame out as well since I had a lonely bit of Citra just sitting in the bag and I wasn't going to dry hop for 10 days.

In any case, the beer turned out great and I went from a slight OG undershoot down to 1.011. The beer was fermented using US-05 @ 68 ambient in my house the entire time. The only thing I'm slightly skeptical about is the necessity for the 12 day aggressive dry hop. As much as I like dry hops I think its kind of overkill to do it this way. It also makes the beer quite expensive to brew. I also think people will be skeptical when I tell them this is a double. The bitterness level is both quite smooth and not really all that high in the first place, not that these are bad things.

I'd definitely brew this one again, although in retrospect I think I'd modify the dry hop to be less labor intensive and just put a huge charge in at Day 9 and another huge charge ~3-4 days after that and rack off on Day 8 or 9, or even put that one bagged straight into the keg.

I too was skeptical having brewed this before having the real thing. But I recently had the real thing and it's not very bitter, is very heavily hopped, and tastes an awful lot like the clone.

I too was skeptical having brewed this before having the real thing. But I recently had the real thing and it's not very bitter, is very heavily hopped, and tastes an awful lot like the clone.

I'm about to go into the dry hop for this beer again due to a request to have it ready for a second go-round. However, this time, I used all Citra from the 2012 crop instead of leftover 2 oz. bags from an unknown year. I don't feel this is going to make a huge difference, but it might be interesting to see if there's an aroma difference. This time, however, I hit my volumes and gravity a lot closer, producing a 1.072 wort instead of 1.065. Just a slight overshoot.

When I first carbed this beer up and poured a pint, it had this crazy tropical fruit flavor to it that was really interesting, but it faded out within a few days. It was really excellent both ways. This is a really great recipe, although I'm not entirely sure if the dry hop charges are supposed to be removed after each addition. What I ended up doing was dry hopping in the primary for the first 2 additions, then racking to a CO2 purged secondary and dry hopping the next two additions, and then racking to a keg to serve.

My intent for the second batch was to use WLP001 like the actual recipe to test the liquid/dry differences (even though they are purportedly the same yeast). However, I managed to mess up the starter I had prepared so I used 2 backup sachets of US-05 again. I guess I'll have to make a third batch to do the comparison.

Back