Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Ithaca Flower Power Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #81
Dumpsterboy
Grateful Beer Company
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I ferment in my basement which is around 67 degrees. This keeps my fermentation temp around 72 for the first 24-48 hours, and that has always been fine. One time it got a little warm in my basement and my fermentation temp climbed to 78--- this was the only time where I noticed an off flavor of what I describe as nail polish remover. Super, Super slight actually, but I picked it up. I asked 3 or 4 others and they couldn't pick up the off flavor, but since then I have always tried to keep my fermentation temps at 72 or below. Good luck.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #82
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My beers have probably always fermented mid 70's at least as Ive only recently ponied up the $5 for a rope tub, butter than nothing. I'm heading out to the GABF tomorrow, I'll see if I can get any secrets

Old 10-11-2012, 03:44 AM   #83
gunmetal
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Yea, my batch got up to 72 degrees for a part of the day while I was at work, I still have a blowoff tube in it on day 4! Part of the reason is because I wanted a good 5 1/2 gallons or so because with such a big beer I knew there would be more loss to trub than on a smaller beer. Plus, the 3 ounces of dry hop are gonna suck up some precious wort. I actually ended up just shy of 6 gallons in my 6.5 gallon primary. So, I don't have too much room for krausen. It is still bubbling nicely, as soon as the krausen gives me a little headroom, I will put in the airlock. I may secondary the extra 1/2 gallon in a growler with an ounce of citra, and bottle it in 3 bombers! I used citra as a dry hop in my last brew and it was fantastic. I too prefer less malty beers, and I did not see your post about using less honey malt until after my brew day. However, I think the 8 ounces in the boil will still balance it out. This is the most hops that I have ever used in a boil, so I can't wait to try this. Because I am fermenting in a temp controlled fridge, when you open the door it smells incredible.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:09 AM   #84
gunmetal
Recipes 

Default flow pow

Well, I want to chime in and give an update. I brewed this beer over 4 weeks ago. I knew dumpsterboy did not have great efficiency, so I adjusted my recipe to 15 pounds of briess, 1 pound honey malt, and here is where I f@cked yp, I used a full pound of c40L. I use an electic rims set up and I used 173 degrees with the 17 pounds to hit the 153 degrees almost head on. I did use 5 gallons and about an extra 1.25 qts for my strike water. My crush is pretty fine and because of the rims system, I like to use a thinner mash because of the recirculation. Well, that went all to hell when the mash seemed to get stuck right away. Fearing a stuck mash and scortched wort because of my rims setup, I kept stirring the mash to keep the return flow up. I think this really helped my efficiency, because my O.G. was 1.085. I also added an extra rehydrated pack of US-O5 on day two because of this. I think this helped consume the extra sweetness as dboy said, and reduce the maltiness, even though I used a full pound of caramel malt. Now onto the fermentation. I wanted to go just over two weeks of primary, but, my brother died of an unexpectected heart attack. I'm not exactly sure, but I think the primary went to about 3 weeks. I decided to rack to secondary because of the large amount of trub. At that time it measured 1.020 gravity. I think the beer finished a couple of points lower on the secondary.
this puts the beer over 8.5 ABV which helps balance out the malt profile. I also went about 11 days of dry hopping because of everything at work going on, he was also my coworker. well, I finally kegged the beer tonight. The dry hopping is incredible. The aroma is insane. I bought the ingredients at my LHBS and told the guy that it is the most expensive beer that I have ever made. He said it will probably be the best beer that I have ever made. Well, I think it was.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #85
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 334 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 559

^Sorry to hear about your broski.

This is going to be my next brew. Will follow the original recipe - maybe reduce the honey malt by a ****hair or so.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #86
Dumpsterboy
Grateful Beer Company
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Gunmetal,--Whoa--Sorry to hear about your brother.

I keep brewing this one over and over. I do however adjust the hop schedule occasionally. By doing this it changes the taste ever so slightly, but it's always delicious. And yes I sometimes lower the honey malt a bit, but if I use 2 packets of safale us-05, it eats up any additional sweetness, so I usually just add 1lb for the slightly higher gravity. This recipe makes for a very low malty, highly bitter IPA--which is exactly how I like it. I can't believe how malty some other IPA's taste compared to this one, but everyone has their preference. Enjoy!

Old 12-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #87
Hopsferatu
Recipes 

Had the original for the first time last night and it was great. It obviously motivated me to look for a recipe out there to give it a go. I'll have to add this to my brew schedule. Thanks.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:41 AM   #88
gunmetal
Recipes 

Well, I have to admit that this was a great brew. I think I will adjust the malt sweetness the next time I brew it, but the hop combos are great. I was going to bottle some for a tasting and beer exchange this holiday season, but when I started to bottle (using BierMuncher's counterpressure bottle filler), I only ended up with two bottles before she kicked. I guess I didn't realize how good it really was.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #89
barkscruff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Does anyone have any ideas on how to convert this recipe into a partial mash? I just moved from extract to PM and would love to try this recipe as its one of my favorite IPA's.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #90
Knecht_Rupprecht
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkscruff View Post
Does anyone have any ideas on how to convert this recipe into a partial mash? I just moved from extract to PM and would love to try this recipe as its one of my favorite IPA's.
I would look at something like
6# light dme
3# 2-row
1# honey
6oz crystal 40

If you can manage more grain in your mash you could up the 2-row and lower the dme. I would also look at your efficiency and use some calculators to get a sense of where your OG ends up.

Quick Reply