IPA "Lite"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alcibiades

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-05
Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
6 srm
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1- 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 - 68
Tasting Notes
Light body, extremely hoppy, but deceptively deadly with over 8% ABV.
IPA "Lite"
Type: All grain Size: 5.0 gallons
Color: 8 HCU (~6 SRM)
Bitterness: 71 IBU
OG: 1.079
FG 1.013!

Grain:
2 lb. Marris Otter
6 lb. German Pilsner
3 lb. American Vienna
1 lb. American crystal 10L
8 oz. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
1 lb. American 2-row
Mash: 79% efficiency (BIAB Method)

Hops: (all whole leaf)
.5 oz Centennial (11.2% AA, FWH)
.5 oz. Centennial (11.2% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Centennial (11.2% AA, 25 min.)
1 oz. Centennial (11.2% AA, 15 min.)
2 oz. Amarillo (9.1% AA, 5 min.)
3 oz Centennial Dry Hop, 1 week
1 oz Centennial Dry Hop, 2 weeks

Mashed at 150
4.6 gallons mash
2.3 gallons sparge
60 min boil.

Two packets S-05

--------------------------------------------------------------
This is one of the best beers I've ever tasted, let alone homebrewed. It is extremely light bodied, crisp, and the hop aroma flavor/aroma is ridiculously delicious. If you don't like malty imperial IPAs, this beer is for you. There is a slight fusel alcohol taste - to be expected with this ABV - but that will go away with aging.

There is a slight fusel alcohol taste - to be expected with this ABV - but that will go away with aging.

Not to be a knit-picker, but fusel alcohol is not more likely with higher alcohol content and, as far as I know, will not age away. The fusel alcohol comes, typically, from fermentation temps that are too high.

Thanks for the nit-picking - this is why I like the forum. After I did more research, maybe im wrong about the term "fusel." Its not an unpleasant alcohol taste (like a solvent), but rather a very slight hotness, and is mostly in the stomach. It does not detract from the beer's flavor at all, and I would only expect such "hotness" in an 8.7% alcohol beer that has only aged two weeks in the bottle and that has no thick malt backbone to "cover up" the hotness.

Or....maybe it's fusel and I ruined christmas

I'm by no means an expert here, but "hotness" is the word I usually see used to describe fusel alcohols. Maybe you just have a high alcohol belly warming beer and not fusel alcohols. I can't really say.

If it is fusel alcohol, it will not age away. Once present, that stuff stays. (Again, this is all based on what I have read... no personal experience with it.)

Back