Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - India Red Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 04:58 AM   #161
StarksChef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Just racked into my secondary as I only have one keg, and I just filled that with my pale ale. Gravity looks good, and tasted great. Dry hopped with .5 oz simcoe .5 amarillo, and 1 oz cascade. The recipe is a bit altered at this point, but I have a felling it will be delicious.
Although I am a bit woried it is going to taste like oranges because I ran out of star-san so I just used orange scented dawn to sanatize....
Haha you can all breath thats a joke! RDWHAHB!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 03:29 AM   #162
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Oh, right, I guess I never came back with my impressions on this. So I brewed it with some Apollo, Summit, and Cascade as I mentioned in one of my previous posts, otherwise using the grain bill from the 2nd recipe with even amounts of C40 and C80, scaled down to 2.5 gallons. I like it, but it's really got a little too much sweetness for my taste and it's a bit hot. Maybe it's just too early to tell, it's been in the bottle for almost 4 weeks. I tend to dive into my beers pretty early since I mostly do IPAs. It is good, I like it, I'll probably keep this recipe and work on it for a future brew. I'll just have to give it some time to see how much I like it.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:42 AM   #163
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Give it another 2 weeks or month. It really is slow to come to its potential. I am usually not good at waiting, but recipe needs it. Seems like 4-6 weeks in the keg(I do not secondary) helps it all smooth out and find a sweet harmony. This recipe is sweeter than the average NW IPA for sure, so you may want to play with the grain bill to suite your tastes. I have never had this beer have that hot alcohol character, so I hope that disappears for you.

Cheers,
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZero View Post
Oh, right, I guess I never came back with my impressions on this. So I brewed it with some Apollo, Summit, and Cascade as I mentioned in one of my previous posts, otherwise using the grain bill from the 2nd recipe with even amounts of C40 and C80, scaled down to 2.5 gallons. I like it, but it's really got a little too much sweetness for my taste and it's a bit hot. Maybe it's just too early to tell, it's been in the bottle for almost 4 weeks. I tend to dive into my beers pretty early since I mostly do IPAs. It is good, I like it, I'll probably keep this recipe and work on it for a future brew. I'll just have to give it some time to see how much I like it.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #164
DustBow
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBrewz View Post
DustBow, I think if you do as mentioned; and bring the crystal down a bit you will find the hops shining through a bit more. I have also tried decreasing the munich to 3 lbs and the upping the 2 row to 8.5 lbs, and that made the hops pop a bit more too. Glad it turned out OK and you are trying another iteration.
Interestingly enough, this beer actually seemed to get hoppier the longer it was in the keg....so we drank it faster....the keg has been kicked for a while now, but forgot to follow up.

Great grain bill that is versatile and can handle just about any hop bombing you want to throw at it

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Old 09-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #165
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Give it another 2 weeks or month. It really is slow to come to its potential. I am usually not good at waiting, but recipe needs it. Seems like 4-6 weeks in the keg(I do not secondary) helps it all smooth out and find a sweet harmony. This recipe is sweeter than the average NW IPA for sure, so you may want to play with the grain bill to suite your tastes. I have never had this beer have that hot alcohol character, so I hope that disappears for you.

Cheers,
Tim
I'm optimistic, I made an IRA before this one that I originally named "Red Dragon" because it's so hot, but even that one is cooling off bit by bit. I kinda wish I hadn't bottled it in bombers. I'm sure this one will come around, and it's drinkable as it is.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #166
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Brewed this iteration today with some awesome hops just harvested and dried from BC hop farms in Woodburn OR Notched the gravity down a bit to make it more sessionable. Also did more of a "hopbursting" hop schedule, getting about 1/2 the IBU in the last 5 min. Cut the crystal to just 6% of total grain bill.

OG 1.060
IBU 60
6 gallons
Color 16.7 SRM

6.5 lbs Great Western Organic 2-row
5.0 lbs Great Western Organic Munich (6L)
.5 lbs Great Western Organic C-40
.25 lbs Great Western Organic C-120
.125 lbs. Briess Organic Chocolate Malt

1 oz Magnum (14%) at 30 min
2 oz Centennial (10.1%) at 5 min
2 oz Cascade (8.2%) at 5 min

to dry hop with 2oz Falconers Flight 7 Cs pellets

Slurry of Safale 05 from wet hop IPA
Fermenting at 63f in basement.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #167
StarksChef
Recipes 

I am gonna have to brew this one again soon. I thought it was really good. I might need to learn how to not drink the keg in a week to get some age on it lol

Old 10-10-2012, 01:25 AM   #168
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarksChef View Post
I am gonna have to brew this one again soon. I thought it was really good. I might need to learn how to not drink the keg in a week to get some age on it lol
When this beer comes out right, it really is hard to save! Glad you enjoyed it.

The "light" version I did about 10 days ago is really tasty already. The 7c's as a dryhop is very nice. There is still plenty of malt and hops, but will not kick my ass as quickly. I have a feeling this batch will see an early end!

Old 10-16-2012, 03:37 AM   #169
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

This recipe is too dry, so I cut the crystal a little too much. I also like the original hop bill much more. Oh, well it is still pretty good! \

Edit: I spoke too soon, had one last night and it is getting better, more rounded. Need to heed my own advice and sit on this one for a another few weeks.

Quote:
Brewed this iteration today with some awesome hops just harvested and dried from BC hop farms in Woodburn OR Notched the gravity down a bit to make it more sessionable. Also did more of a "hopbursting" hop schedule, getting about 1/2 the IBU in the last 5 min. Cut the crystal to just 6% of total grain bill.

OG 1.060
IBU 60
6 gallons
Color 16.7 SRM

6.5 lbs Great Western Organic 2-row
5.0 lbs Great Western Organic Munich (6L)
.5 lbs Great Western Organic C-40
.25 lbs Great Western Organic C-120
.125 lbs. Briess Organic Chocolate Malt

1 oz Magnum (14%) at 30 min
2 oz Centennial (10.1%) at 5 min
2 oz Cascade (8.2%) at 5 min

to dry hop with 2oz Falconers Flight 7 Cs pellets

Slurry of Safale 05 from wet hop IPA
Fermenting at 63f in basement.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #170
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm gonna give this bad boy a try, just in time to serve at Thanksgiving to the family in the keg!

Using Cascade and Amarillo (2012 crop) that I just got in the mail last week.

Thanks for the great recipe! I've been wanting to do an IRA.

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Burton IPA
ON TAP: Belgian Wit
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

Quick Reply