Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - India Red Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 12:15 AM   #141
SilverZero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Just had my first IRA the other night, decided I'd be brewing one of these next. This recipe looks great. I'm going to give the original write-up a swing, except I'm leaning toward replacing the Amarillo with Citra (suggestions?). My LHBS didn't have Amarillo last time I went in, said they might never get any again . . . some malarkey about somebody in Belgium (?) buying it all up or something.

This will be a stretch for me as I've basically just honed my skills in balancing out a bomber 9% IPA with tons of NW hops, but I really liked the sweetness in the IRA I had so I gotta try it!

BTW, BeerSmith is giving me 14.8 SRM, does that sound about right? I'm terrible with color. Looks more amber than red, but I don't actually know how well my computer screen compares with what I end up with in the lab.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 12:37 AM   #142
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Yep Amarillo are tough to get right now. Try the Citra. Galaxy is another hop that may be a good Amarillo sub?

That color isclose but 14.8 SRM is a bit lighter than I usually get(16-17), but I use BeerTools and the calculators may use different methods. You may just be choosing a slightly lighter Lovibond grain. For example, I use Bairds Black patent, which is 550L and the default black malt in BeerTools is 500L. So I have to manually change that aspect for the recipe. Also, I use 10L Munich where some Munich is as low as 6L. With 5 lbs in the recipe, that can make a difference in the final color calculation.

Glad you are trying this recipe!

Old 06-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #143
SilverZero
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBrewz View Post
Yep Amarillo are tough to get right now. Try the Citra. Galaxy is another hop that may be a good Amarillo sub?

That color isclose but 14.8 SRM is a bit lighter than I usually get(16-17), but I use BeerTools and the calculators may use different methods. You may just be choosing a slightly lighter Lovibond grain. For example, I use Bairds Black patent, which is 550L and the default black malt in BeerTools is 500L. So I have to manually change that aspect for the recipe. Also, I use 10L Munich where some Munich is as low as 6L. With 5 lbs in the recipe, that can make a difference in the final color calculation.

Glad you are trying this recipe!
Cool, thanks for the input. BeerSmith does default to 500L for black patent, and there may be some other issues (I only have options for C80 or C120, no C90, so I went C40 and C80). Really it's just for rough-drafting my shopping list, and things always come out different in real life anyway. I should be tweaking the program according to my real efficiency and such, but I don't.

And greetings to a fellow Oregonian.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:44 AM   #144
BOYDBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Hey Tim... Im brewing this recipe tomorrow and unfortunately am unable to get simcoe... What Do you think would be a nice substitute centenniel or citra?

Old 06-16-2012, 04:23 AM   #145
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Hey Boyd, with Simcoe as the bittering hop, you can sub just about any high alpha hop. I have used Magnum in this beer when Simcoe was in short supply and the result was very good. I chose Simcoe because it has a very low co-humulone level and lends a super smooth background bitterness and a character that can shine a bit even after an hour in the boil. Between Centennial and Citra, I would go with Centennial mostly because I have read that Citra can become "catty" if used for bittering, whereas I have never seen anything to indicate that Centennial has issues like this. Thanks for trying the recipe, happy brewing!

Tim

Old 06-23-2012, 05:57 PM   #146
BOYDBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBrewz
Hey Boyd, with Simcoe as the bittering hop, you can sub just about any high alpha hop. I have used Magnum in this beer when Simcoe was in short supply and the result was very good. I chose Simcoe because it has a very low co-humulone level and lends a super smooth background bitterness and a character that can shine a bit even after an hour in the boil. Between Centennial and Citra, I would go with Centennial mostly because I have read that Citra can become "catty" if used for bittering, whereas I have never seen anything to indicate that Centennial has issues like this. Thanks for trying the recipe, happy brewing!

Tim
Thanks Tim!
I brewed this last weekend and am just about to transfer to secondary. It smells delicious! Going to dry hop with centennial, amarillo and was thinking about citra... I did use centennial, amarillo and centennial in the boil..

Old 07-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #147
SilverZero
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOYDBrew

Thanks Tim!
I brewed this last weekend and am just about to transfer to secondary. It smells delicious! Going to dry hop with centennial, amarillo and was thinking about citra... I did use centennial, amarillo and centennial in the boil..
Whew, that's a big dry hop party! Not saying it's bad, but it will be busy.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #148
GoldenShowerGladiator
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

somehow only ended up with 1.052 OG. hit my mash temp (152 degrees / 1 hour). oh well. i'm sure it'll turn out good

Old 08-06-2012, 12:41 AM   #149
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenShowerGladiator View Post
somehow only ended up with 1.052 OG. hit my mash temp (152 degrees / 1 hour). oh well. i'm sure it'll turn out good
If its too bitter, just age it a bit.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #150
SilverZero
Recipes 

Finally decided to give this a go today. I'm heating my strike water as we speak, doing a 2.5 gallon batch just as an afternoon diversion. The hop schedule is going to be way out from this recipe (the updated one) due to the shop's inventory. No Simcoe, no Amarillo, no Citra, nothing I like! I ended up getting some Cascade, Apollo, and Summit. I'll play around with them to see how I want to add them in, but I really need to start planning ahead and ordering my hops online instead of just putting myself at the mercy of the LHBS.

Quick Reply