Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Partial - Imperial IPA/Barleywine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2011, 01:52 AM   #1
JBrew1989
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Partial - Imperial IPA/Barleywine

Recipe Type: Partial Mash
Yeast: California V
Yeast Starter: n/a
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: n/a
Batch Size (Gallons): 4
Original Gravity: 1.091
Final Gravity: 1.022
IBU: 90-100
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: Light Brown
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days, 60-75 degrees
Additional Fermentation: Bottle Conditioning
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14, 60-75 degrees
Tasting Notes: Very bitter on the back end, no carbonation, still sweet from priming sugar

Hey, I was attempting to make a 5 gal IPA and instead ended up with a 4 gal nearly Barleywine. This is only my second batch and I haven't been taking gravity readings (like I will next time) but using an online calculator I figure this beer is sitting at 9%. I have already tried this beer after a week (I know, I'm eager!) of conditioning, and it is pretty much flat. I'm realizing now that it may be too much for the yeast. Any experience with California V and alcohol tolerance? Any hope for my flat beer? Will it finish conditioning after several more weeks?

Any thoughts will help. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 02:54 AM   #2
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Over 5% alcohol is considered toxic to yeast. Even at 9% though you are not killing them right away. It takes a while. With a proper pitch rate it should be capable of 12%, maybe 15%. Give it at least 3 months and try another.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 10-13-2011, 03:28 AM   #3
coypoo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'm sure the yeast are probably cranky, but not dead. Just give it time to mellow and re-yeast at bottling

Rowdy Reptile Brewing
http://rowdyreptilebrewing.blogspot.com/

Old 10-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
JBrew1989
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coypoo View Post
I'm sure the yeast are probably cranky, but not dead. Just give it time to mellow and re-yeast at bottling

It is already bottled and I did not re-pitch. There was a significant amount of yeast still in suspension and stirred up during transfer, so I expected that would be enough. I will know re-pitch at bottling from now on. I've had bottles that were well carbonated before without re-pitching yeast, but it wasn't nearly as big of a beer as this. Would rousing the yeast by turning the bottles help?

Old 10-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
JBrew1989
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice, guys. After two weeks it is about 3/4 carbonated and bubbles pretty good, although there's still a bit of residual sweetness from priming sugar. I guess I've just got to be patient. It's hard when you're first starting out and you don't have a homebrew reserve to drink from.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
gstrawn
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrew1989

It is already bottled and I did not re-pitch. There was a significant amount of yeast still in suspension and stirred up during transfer, so I expected that would be enough. I will know re-pitch at bottling from now on. I've had bottles that were well carbonated before without re-pitching yeast, but it wasn't nearly as big of a beer as this. Would rousing the yeast by turning the bottles help?
You don't need to repitch at bottling except in high alcohol beers. A standard beer should be fine. I would only repitch if beers were past 10% personally. I've never had problems not repitching on my higher FG beers (~1.090ish). They just take a bit longer to properly carb but you should be letting it condition a little longer anyways

Quick Reply