Double IPA Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1056
Yeast Starter
Yes - 2L or Yeast Cake
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
11.9 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 days @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 68F
Tasting Notes
For a dryer finish, mash for 90 minutes
Recipe: Imperial IPA
Date Brewed: 10/24/2008
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.58 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 62%

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.088 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.2%
Bitterness: 105.4 IBU
Calories: 376 cal/pint
Est Color: 11.9 SRM

Grains and Sugars
12.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 57.83 %
5.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 24.10 %
1.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 4.82 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2.41 %
0.25 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 1.20 %
2.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 9.64 %

Hops
2.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 64.5 IBU
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (30 min) Hops 35.8 IBU
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 5.1 IBU

--Dry Hop--
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days)
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days)

Yeast
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale
Use 2L starter or pitch onto existing yeast cake

Mash and Sparge
1. Mash in with 5.86 gallons of 161F water for a target of 150F
2. Hold mash for 75 minutes at 150F
3. No Mash out
4. Add FWH to boil kettle
5. Vorlauf and drain first runnings (start burner at this point)
6. Batch sparge with 5 gallons of 175F water...sparge with more water as necessary to collect 7.5-8.0 gallons of wort.

The first time I did this, I made the mistake of not making a yeast starter. It took 3 weeks to get down to 1.020 in gravity...and probably didn't attenuate completely due to under pitching. This contributed to a sweeter IIPA than is typical for the style, but I have to say still VERY tasty. But next time, I'll be brewing a house pale ale or amber ale, and pitch directly onto the yeast cake. Alternately, make a 2-3 liter starter 2 days before pitching. Pitching a larger starter and using the 2# of corn sugar will help the beer reach a lower FG for a dry finish.

The dry hop of just 4 ounces is surprisingly strong and quite aromatic. I think the full 2 weeks of dry hopping ensures that all of that hoppy aroma is sucked into the wort. I used whole leaf hops, since that what was readily available and was definitely pleased with the aroma...and ease of racking out of the secondary. For the first time brewing this, I'd have to say I'd give it 85/100 for a taste rating. Next time with adjustments to the yeast starter I think this recipe will be a home run.

You probably know this but, I have read that US-05 is the same strain as Wyeast 1056. I have had really good luck with both US-05 and Nottingham for IPA's and IIPA's. I used 1056 once. I'm lazy and don't like making starters. :D

I think I will only use liquid yea$t for Belgians.

You probably know this but, I have read that US-05 is the same strain as Wyeast 1056. I have had really good luck with both US-05 and Nottingham for IPA's and IIPA's. I used 1056 once. I'm lazy and don't like making starters. :D

I think I will only use liquid yea$t for Belgians.

Yeah, I should try Safale...haven't dabbled with that yeast yet, but I love Nottingham. Next time I brew this (next month I think), it will be going on top of a yeast cake of Nottingham from my Amber Ale. Should be an explosively good time :D!

That looks like one KILLER of a beer. My IPA is entirely centennial. I'm ape**** over that hop. I love it. :mug:

That looks like one KILLER of a beer. My IPA is entirely centennial. I'm ape**** over that hop. I love it. :mug:

Yeah, the centennial in addition to the cascade was very good for the dry hop. I was worried the two would clash, but the citrusy aroma is just killer and I think stands out a bit more than just Cascades. Actually, centennial is becoming one of my favorite all around hops!

Is it possible to mash this recipe in a standard 10 gallon chest-style cooler?

I think I'm gonna make this next (or something close to it). Brewed my first imperial stout last weekend and tasted my first imperial ipa the other day the alpha dog brewed here in idaho...mm yum is all I can say. Thanks for the recipe!

Right on, this one was definitely a tasty brew...although there is quite a kick to it! Let me know how yours turns out. Cheers!

Right on, this one was definitely a tasty brew...although there is quite a kick to it! Let me know how yours turns out. Cheers!

Will do. I need to get some bulk maris otter in so these tasty imperial brews I'm getting into don't cost so damn much to brew :p The russian imperial stout I made last weekend cost a ton but damn it'll be worth it!

Will do. I need to get some bulk maris otter in so these tasty imperial brews I'm getting into don't cost so damn much to brew :p The russian imperial stout I made last weekend cost a ton but damn it'll be worth it!

Mmmm, that RIS sounds nice for the fall and winter. What recipe did you use?

Mmmm, that RIS sounds nice for the fall and winter. What recipe did you use?

It was the first imperial Ive done and Im getting hooked, a recipe from a guy in my brew club I'll get that and post it if he's cool with it (not sure why hew ouldnt). Ended up with extra volume to boil down and add later.

Mash and Sparge
3. No Mash out
6. Batch sparge with 5 gallons of 175F water...sparge with more water as necessary to collect 7.5-8.0 gallons of wort.

Next up for me is an IIPA kinda similar to this, and I have a question for you. Why do you recommend not mashing out? What does that do / not do to the final product?

Any sub for:

My lhbs is out, thanks

Next up for me is an IIPA kinda similar to this, and I have a question for you. Why do you recommend not mashing out? What does that do / not do to the final product?

It basically extends the length of the mash to include your sparge time. By mashing longer you ensure that conversion is complete, and it also tends to help lower your final gravity.

Any sub for:

My lhbs is out, thanks

1# of CaraPils would do the trick. I just wanted something in there for some body and head retention while not affecting the flavor. I have a ton of bulk white wheat malt which is why I use it frequently in place of CaraPils.

1# of CaraPils would do the trick. I just wanted something in there for some body and head retention while not affecting the flavor. I have a ton of bulk white wheat malt which is why I use it frequently in place of CaraPils.

Cool. I'm going to be buying a pallet of grain soon (may start carrying kits! I know kits arent very big for ag brewers due to efficiency and personal recipe creation..but still) and am looking forward to having maris otter in there so I dont spend like 90 bucks like I did last weekend forthat RIS..lol and the Rogue Imperial Stout I drank while BREWING it was another $14....$14 well spent (worth the kickass botle).

Recipe: Imperial IPA
Date Brewed: 10/24/2008
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
<SNIP>
[5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 5.1 IBU

--Dry Hop--
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days)

Yeast
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale
Use 2L starter or pitch onto existing yeast cake

Mash and Sparge
3. No Mash out

Just out of curiosity, what software are you using to generate these recipes, calorie, efficiency numbers? I like the format and I'm been looking into some software. Thanks.

austinhomebrew.com has a deal going through today an extra 10% off on top of the prices they have now, may make sense to get a kit or ingredients for a kit there now..sorry to take it off topic but its related :p

Can I ask why the centennial hops are broken up into two 1 oz groups for the dry hopping?

Thanks
Mark

I brewed this recipe and I am getting no carbonation at all. I think all the yeast have died because the alcohol content is so high.

Also this is some DARK beer for an IPA. I cannot see through my glass!

Also the taste of alcohol is noticeable.

Can I ask why the centennial hops are broken up into two 1 oz groups for the dry hopping?

Thanks
Mark

I'm also interested in this question. Are the dry hop additions meant to all go in for 14 days or 14 days for each addition?

I'm gonna give this a crack tomorrow.... anything I should be aware of?

I've made a 1ltr starter out of one packet of US05, and I will pitch that, along with another whole pack of US05... hopefully that gives me the attenuation I need.

I brewed this recipe and I am getting no carbonation at all. I think all the yeast have died because the alcohol content is so high.

Also this is some DARK beer for an IPA. I cannot see through my glass!

Also the taste of alcohol is noticeable.

Yep, I got that too... but the 20Litres I kegged has turned out FANTASTIC... very good beer :)

Back