Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - The Hoptopus

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2012, 05:10 AM   #11
brewski08
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

a lot of brewers who are new to all grain struggle at first with getting high and consistent efficiency values. the recipe i provided would produce a 1.085 OG assuming the brewer had an efficiency of 70%.

it looks like your process yielded around a 50-60% efficiency this time. don't sweat it. you'll get better with your process as you gain more experience. there are tons of useful threads on this site that discuss ways to increase your efficiency. my barley crusher and BierMuncher's hybrid sparge technique (discussed in the All Grain and Partial Mash forum) are mainly what helped me get consistently high efficiencies.

don't worry though...your beer may be a little more on the hoppy/bitter side as opposed to the malty/sweet side, but i'm sure it'll be delicious.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 05:17 AM   #12
jookoo
Recipes 

well it's finally fermented out, cleared up, and kegged, and i must say that this beer is absolutely fantastic.

a little on the malty side as described earlier but bursting with hop flavor. the simcoe and citra are both extremely present in this beer. almost tastes like someone mixed a SN Torpedo and a Hopslam together.

very bold in flavor. the hops and malt definitely jump out at you.

definitely will be brewing this again. i'll probably bottle a couple just to save throughout the summer.

brewski- how do these beers do with age? thanks again for the recipe.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #13
brewski08
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jookoo View Post
well it's finally fermented out, cleared up, and kegged, and i must say that this beer is absolutely fantastic.

a little on the malty side as described earlier but bursting with hop flavor. the simcoe and citra are both extremely present in this beer. almost tastes like someone mixed a SN Torpedo and a Hopslam together.

very bold in flavor. the hops and malt definitely jump out at you.

definitely will be brewing this again. i'll probably bottle a couple just to save throughout the summer.

brewski- how do these beers do with age? thanks again for the recipe.
glad you liked this so much!

as for age, i wish i could tell you otherwise, but this does absolutely horrible with age. i just popped open a bottle last night that i transferred from the keg. it's been sitting in my fridge for about 3 months, and there was absolutely no hop aroma. really depressing actually.

i suppose this is true with a lot of IIPA's.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:21 AM   #14
TRIPLEMSU
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What's the recipe for extract. Looks fantastic!!!

Old 06-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #15
Jbatten22
Recipes 

Did you dry hop starting at 2 weeks taking the primary fermentation to 3 weeks or did you start the dry hopping at 3 weeks for a total of 4 weeks in the frementor?

Thanks

Old 06-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #16
brewski08
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPLEMSU View Post
What's the recipe for extract. Looks fantastic!!!
hm, i'm not an extract expert, so let me try and figure this out for you.

i've read that the honey malt must be mashed. would you be capable of performing a partial mash?

it's looking like you'll have to substitute malt extract for the two-row, vienna, and munich and partial mash the crystal and honey malts.

give me a day or so, and i'll post a partial mash recipe for ya.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #17
brewski08
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbatten22 View Post
Did you dry hop starting at 2 weeks taking the primary fermentation to 3 weeks or did you start the dry hopping at 3 weeks for a total of 4 weeks in the frementor?

Thanks
i dry hopped in a secondary as soon as my gravity readings in the primary were consistent for ~2 days.

you don't necessarily have to transfer your beer to a secondary in order to dry hop, but it's very beneficial you dry hope once fermentation is complete. when fermentation is still occurring, the yeast continue to blow of gaseous CO2. this gaseous CO2 carries hop aroma with it and out of your carboy, thus weakening your hop aroma.

so if you've had consistent gravity readings, you're ready to dry hop.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS