Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Hopslam Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #61
ne0t0ky0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Brewed this last night... Really excited about the taste of the final product as the sample that went into the fermenter was amazing... this huge sweet malt flavor and then *BAM* huge bitter punch in the face and a nice, long, lingering bitter.

Very stoked about this.

Brew session was all over the place though. I forgot to lower my efficiency for a nearly 20# grainbill, so, I was short about 7 points pre-boil, ended up adding about 22oz of DME to hit target, and then ended up about 1.096 out of 1.099.

Also, I normally use pellet hops, but I've still got some Amarillo leaf, and I always have trouble draining with leaf. Next time I use this leaf, I'm bagging that stuff. Half of the wort went through the place chiller, the other half was dumped through a nylon bag and then used my back-up immersion coil.

Pitched a 1056 yeast cake into 5 gallons of this and 12 hours later and I'm already getting blowoff pushing out of a 6.5 gallon carboy...

A friend is going to see about getting some Hopslam bottles from out-of-state since we don't get this beer in Texas.

Thanks for the recipe; I'll follow up with pics and results in about 4 weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #62
LouBrew13
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

I want to make this for the fall. Did those who made it use a hop spider or bags for the insane amounts if hops added? And what about the dry hopping? I've never brewed a beer with this amount of hop additions. Thanks for the recipe.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #63
ne0t0ky0
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBrew13 View Post
I want to make this for the fall. Did those who made it use a hop spider or bags for the insane amounts if hops added? And what about the dry hopping? I've never brewed a beer with this amount of hop additions. Thanks for the recipe.
I've always used bags or spiders; and I would urge you to do so here as well. For the dry-hop, depending on your fermentation container, I would suggest a bag of some sort. My last experience with a 4oz dry-hop in a carboy loose left me with about 1 gallon of beer that I couldn't siphon. Bagging in a glass carboy can be tough as getting it back out can prove difficult. There was a thread that talked about using nylon stockings and the neck of the carboy to "squeeze" the beer back into the chamber as you pull it out.

I haven't done that myself, but I might try it with this one given the large dry-hop dose as well.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #64
Firebat138
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 28

We have brewed this teice with no starter and dry yeast... everything turned out great... What advantage does the starter do again...

Fermenting:
20 gal Galactic Black IPA, 10 gal Ypers Pale Ale,
10 gal Belgian WitX2, 10 Gal 2 Hearted Clone,10 gal Samhain Pumpkin, 10 gal Green Flash West Coast IPA
10 gal Coffee Stout,10 Gal Raging Beeatch, 10 Gal Hop Head IPA

Old 08-31-2012, 12:43 AM   #65
furner
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bells recommends using yeast from Amber Ale or Best Brown Ale to clone Hopslam as they share the same yeast.. They say the yeast in the bottle is the fermentation yeast but the high ABV in Hopslam probably makes it a poor choice for culturing. They specifically mention Winter White Ale as one that does NOT use the same yeast as Hopslam.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:01 AM   #66
tfratzke
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBrew13
I use a spider for sure. For the 3oz of dry hopping I just dumped the pellets in. After about five days they were settled to the bottom. No problem.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #67
HopSpunge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just got done chefing this one up. Had to substitute alot of different hops due to the hop embargo but stayed as true as I could to the recipe. Tasted fanominal in the raw going into the fermenter. Can't wait till its done. Love the grain bill on this. The only regret is not doin 10 gallons... Thanks for the great recipe....

Old 09-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #68
JJ86
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Planning on brewing this up next weekend and using honey. Anyone have a recommendation for type of honey?

Old 09-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #69
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

This one is on my radar. Looks fantastic!

Old 09-10-2012, 02:48 AM   #70
tfratzke
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ86
Planning on brewing this up next weekend and using honey. Anyone have a recommendation for type of honey?
I just used 32 oz of regular clover honey from the grocery store. Turns out it's about 1.4lbs by weight exactly.

Quick Reply