Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Hopslam Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012, 12:10 AM   #31
Klichty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Brewed this back in November and served over Christmas to the family. Not a single person had anything bad to say and I was very pleased with it myself. Thank you for the great recipe!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #32
moonpig
Recipes 

put this on the keg a couple of days ago and it turned out great. Bought a Growler of the original Hopslam- it is the beer on the right. Mine is not as clear, that may still come with settling but I really do not care about clarity- IT TASTES GREAT, sorry about the bad picture quality

Thank you for the recipe- job well done

2012-01-26_15-35-30_890.jpg  

Old 02-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #33
Beerfly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is that grain bill right? I have to lower the base malt to 13 Lbs. to get the SG of 1098. Hopslam is a 10% abv beer and this comes out to 11.5. Is Beersmith just wrong or am I missing something? I did set the efficiency to 70%.

Scratch that, I had it set for 5 gallons instead of 5.5.

Last edited by Beerfly; 02-12-2012 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Correction

Old 02-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #34
HiggyTheBrewer
Recipes 

I have to say that this recipe looks fantastic. Congratulations on getting that score! Ill be trying this out in the next few weeks and putting it on tap. It would be awesome to do a side by side comparison brew with honey vs sugar by splitting the wort but ill give it a go with corn sugar first.

Thanks again for the recipe, cant wait to brew
-Higgy

Old 02-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #35
Firebat138
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 28

we are kegging our Hopslam and Two hearted this week... cant wait

Fermenting:
20 gal Galactic Black IPA, 10 gal Ypers Pale Ale,
10 gal Belgian WitX2, 10 Gal 2 Hearted Clone,10 gal Samhain Pumpkin, 10 gal Green Flash West Coast IPA
10 gal Coffee Stout,10 Gal Raging Beeatch, 10 Gal Hop Head IPA

Old 02-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #36
msu09
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great looking recipe!

I brewed this last weekend via BIAB. Due to the large grain bill (and probably my own brewing errors) I only got 50% Brewhouse efficiency. Also, I have no idea what my SG was. I dropped my hydrometer between the mash and the end of the boil....

I'm assuming that my SG is around 1.070 (I also added an extra pound of sugar to try and make up for my lackluster efficiency). I accidentally boiled a bit too much off and ended up with slightly under 5 gallons. I followed the hop schedule up to this point but don't know if I should add the dry hops. I tasted the wort when putting it into the carboy and it seemed very sugary and bitter. It's starting to taper down it's fermentation and I would add the hops somewhat soon.

Also, I'm fermenting it in a 6 gallon carboy but don't have a secondary (my only secondary broke while transferring wort last month... lost 5 gallons of a nice ipa). How long should I leave it in the primary? Should I purge it with co2 every so often?

Thank you for the great recipe!

Old 03-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #37
Beerfly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu09 View Post
Great looking recipe!

I brewed this last weekend via BIAB. Due to the large grain bill (and probably my own brewing errors) I only got 50% Brewhouse efficiency. Also, I have no idea what my SG was. I dropped my hydrometer between the mash and the end of the boil....

I'm assuming that my SG is around 1.070 (I also added an extra pound of sugar to try and make up for my lackluster efficiency). I accidentally boiled a bit too much off and ended up with slightly under 5 gallons. I followed the hop schedule up to this point but don't know if I should add the dry hops. I tasted the wort when putting it into the carboy and it seemed very sugary and bitter. It's starting to taper down it's fermentation and I would add the hops somewhat soon.

Also, I'm fermenting it in a 6 gallon carboy but don't have a secondary (my only secondary broke while transferring wort last month... lost 5 gallons of a nice ipa). How long should I leave it in the primary? Should I purge it with co2 every so often?

Thank you for the great recipe!
Wow, that had to be one big bag of grains! After fermentation slows up I would air lock it if it isn't already. No need to add C02, all the oxygen on top has been purged with fermentation. I would still dry hop, that won't add bitterness but rather that nose full of hops you want. Document your recipe and procedure, you might find out it's awesome and want to make it again.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:13 AM   #38
arondee
Recipes 

I made 10 gallons of this on Sunday and 5 ended up on the ground. A moment of silence please.

Primary: Amarillo Two Hearted IPA
Kegged: Citrillo IPA, Brandon O's Graff

Old 03-09-2012, 12:22 AM   #39
HOUZERSON
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arondee
I made 10 gallons of this on Sunday and 5 ended up on the ground. A moment of silence please.
No !

HOUZ

Old 03-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #40
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arondee
My head is bowed

Quick Reply