Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Hopslam Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #21
booherbg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Late Additions

Hi guys! (popping the cherry here).

I've actually been reflecting on the low-IBU of hopslam ever since I read an email from the head brewer @ Bell's. I think it makes a lot of sense. IBU does not indicate how many hops are added to the brew, after all, it only indicates how early the hops were added. Right?

Compare, for example, the difference when you add 5oz of 10% Centennial hops to a 5-gallon boil

60 minutes: 271 IBU
30 minutes: 208 IBU
10 minutes: 98 IBU
5 minutes: 54 IBU
1 minutes: 11 IBU

You can see how drasticly this simple example changes when you change the addition time. I know us brewers already understand the relationship between IBU and how long the hops are boiling, but it makes me think a lot about the relationship HopSlam has with the hops. We already know most of the smell and taste comes from late additions, and HopSlam has aroma and taste out the wazoo. But what about bitterness? What if HopSlam simply slams the hops all in at the last minute, making an incredibly hoppy beer that has very little bitterness. It's kind of neat when you think about it. Deceptive, even.

It makes me really want to brew up a few different batches of Maris Otter / CaraPils and vary only when the hops are added. I actually have a freezer full of 1lb of hops (centennial / cascade / magnum) but I only brew 1 gallon at a time. Maybe I'll experiment with this on a small scale. I couldn't afford to drop 20oz into a 5 gallon brew, but I think I can handle 4oz into a 1gal brew I bet the Centennial will be perfect for this (I'd need too much cascade and the magnum isn't known for its aroma, but for its smooth bittering properties).

Take care,
Blaine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 01:21 AM   #22
cercueil
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks for this post schweaty. I brewed this up about 6 weeks ago and just served it at my sons birthday party on Saturday. It was a huge hit. People commented on the nice grapefruit taste and the great hop flavor. It was nice and dry but there was a slight sweetness from the honey malt. Due to the hop shortage I threw cascade in there instead of simcoe. I wouldn't change anything in this recipe and I can see why you got the 42 out of 50!

Up Next
Oaked IPA?

Old 12-20-2011, 03:06 AM   #23
moonpig
Recipes 

Recipe looks awesome will brew this in January your mash temp seems a little low I may take it up to 153 or 155 but we shall see.
Thanks for posting an awesome looking clone cannot wait to try it.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #24
jkahrs595
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpig View Post
Recipe looks awesome will brew this in January your mash temp seems a little low I may take it up to 153 or 155 but we shall see.
Thanks for posting an awesome looking clone cannot wait to try it.
I wouldn't. This is an IPA and should be mashed lower for less unfermentables.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:19 PM   #25
moonpig
Recipes 

Ok I will do this first batch lower and see how it looks

Old 12-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #26
southside2234
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmarley View Post
Is there an extract version for this?
I threw the ingredients in beer calculus and here is what I came up with. Keeps the proportions right, and assumes a 70% efficiency.

10 lb 12 oz Pale Liquid Extract (70%)
2 lb 2 oz Vienna Malt (14%)
12 oz Caramel 20 L (5%)
8 oz Gambrinus Honey Malt (3%)
8 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3%)

12 oz Honey (5%) (late addition for flameout)

Estimated OG: 1.098
Estimated Final Grav: 1.025
SRM: 10

Estimated abv 9.7%.

Not sure what to do about the SRM, or the hops that are FWH in the all grain.

Can anyone else help out??

Old 01-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #27
DHUKILL
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goterdid
I brewed this last night and checked this morning and thanks to the nice starter I had was bubbling away. Due to the lack of Simcoe I substituted for the Falconers' Flight. I plan to secondary when gravity reaches correct level and dry hop for some days with the FF. Super Excited. Thanks for posting!
How did the FF sub work out with this? Im looking to brew up an IPA without the bitter bite. This sounds like a contender! Thanks

Old 01-04-2012, 01:39 AM   #28
moonpig
Recipes 

The 2 oz Amarillo and the 2 oz of Simcoe that you have listed as 0 boil minutes Hop Steep. How long do you steep these and I assume this is done at the end of the boil at flame out.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:27 AM   #29
DHUKILL
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by booherbg View Post
Hi guys! (popping the cherry here).

I've actually been reflecting on the low-IBU of hopslam ever since I read an email from the head brewer @ Bell's. I think it makes a lot of sense. IBU does not indicate how many hops are added to the brew, after all, it only indicates how early the hops were added. Right?

Compare, for example, the difference when you add 5oz of 10% Centennial hops to a 5-gallon boil

60 minutes: 271 IBU
30 minutes: 208 IBU
10 minutes: 98 IBU
5 minutes: 54 IBU
1 minutes: 11 IBU

You can see how drasticly this simple example changes when you change the addition time. I know us brewers already understand the relationship between IBU and how long the hops are boiling, but it makes me think a lot about the relationship HopSlam has with the hops. We already know most of the smell and taste comes from late additions, and HopSlam has aroma and taste out the wazoo. But what about bitterness? What if HopSlam simply slams the hops all in at the last minute, making an incredibly hoppy beer that has very little bitterness. It's kind of neat when you think about it. Deceptive, even.

It makes me really want to brew up a few different batches of Maris Otter / CaraPils and vary only when the hops are added. I actually have a freezer full of 1lb of hops (centennial / cascade / magnum) but I only brew 1 gallon at a time. Maybe I'll experiment with this on a small scale. I couldn't afford to drop 20oz into a 5 gallon brew, but I think I can handle 4oz into a 1gal brew I bet the Centennial will be perfect for this (I'd need too much cascade and the magnum isn't known for its aroma, but for its smooth bittering properties).

Take care,
Blaine
I went my my local beer shop and noticed sold by the single bottle is a brew my Mikkeller (hopefully spelled correct). They are doing this very thing. They are selling 15 or 20 different beers all brewed with the same base malts, but each one uses a different hop. They gave the impression that the same amount of hops were used for bittering, aroma and dry hopping. I only picked up 3 to test. They were $5 each so I couldn't pick up as many as I wanted. It really gives a good example of the flavor of each hop. So far Amarillo gives me what I was looking for. I think I will use some centinnial as well in my next IPA.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #30
booherbg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHUKILL View Post
I went my my local beer shop and noticed sold by the single bottle is a brew my Mikkeller (hopefully spelled correct). They are doing this very thing. They are selling 15 or 20 different beers all brewed with the same base malts, but each one uses a different hop. They gave the impression that the same amount of hops were used for bittering, aroma and dry hopping. I only picked up 3 to test. They were $5 each so I couldn't pick up as many as I wanted. It really gives a good example of the flavor of each hop. So far Amarillo gives me what I was looking for. I think I will use some centinnial as well in my next IPA.
I also just saw one of these Mikkeller brews online, haven't tried them. I'll have to get my hands on some. Thanks!

Quick Reply