Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Hopslam Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 05:26 AM   #111
hopzicle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Ok I was a little nervous because when I brewed this my OG was 1.10, when I went to bottle I was sitting at 1.010 for an abv of 11.8%. Yeah I overshot it just a bit, I assume because of efficiency. Well I bottled this brew and I cracked one open after 2 and a half weeks and I was shocked to see very little carbonation! However after a few home brews I reminded myself that IIPA's sometimes require a lot more time to get a good carb to them. So after 4 and a half weeks I decided it was time to crack another one. I was very happy to see that there was a lot more carbonation to the brew. The beer probably needs a couple more weeks before it reaches it's peak but it definitely had some decent carb. Even at it's current state I had to come to this thread and say how good this recipe is. One of the best malty brews I've done. Even with the high ABV I had, it wasn't overpowering. I used natural honey purchased from a farmers market and the sweet that came through this brew mixed with the malty flavour really came through. Props go out to the OP for posting this one, I will definetly be brewing this again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #112
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopzicle View Post
Ok I was a little nervous because when I brewed this my OG was 1.10, when I went to bottle I was sitting at 1.010 for an abv of 11.8%. Yeah I overshot it just a bit, I assume because of efficiency. Well I bottled this brew and I cracked one open after 2 and a half weeks and I was shocked to see very little carbonation! However after a few home brews I reminded myself that IIPA's sometimes require a lot more time to get a good carb to them. So after 4 and a half weeks I decided it was time to crack another one. I was very happy to see that there was a lot more carbonation to the brew. The beer probably needs a couple more weeks before it reaches it's peak but it definitely had some decent carb. Even at it's current state I had to come to this thread and say how good this recipe is. One of the best malty brews I've done. Even with the high ABV I had, it wasn't overpowering. I used natural honey purchased from a farmers market and the sweet that came through this brew mixed with the malty flavour really came through. Props go out to the OP for posting this one, I will definetly be brewing this again.
My OG was the same. It's still fermenting now. Technically it's in barlywine territory but I'm not complaining.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #113
nullifidian
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed a modified version of this (based on what I had on-hand) 2/17 and think I may have messed up big time! I didn't want to buy more Vienna than I had on hand, so I reduced the Vienna by 8 oz and increased the honey malt to a full 1 lb. To make matters worse, I forgot to add the corn sugar near the end of the boil. My OG was 1.082, which should have tipped me off that something was wrong! Given the potency of honey malt, I'm guessing that leaving the beer as-is will result in an undrinkably sweet beer. Is it too late add corn sugar? I used cultured Bells yeast, which I understand is not very flocculent, thus I'm assuming there should be enough in suspension to ferment the sugar. And ideas on how much corn sugar I should add to up the abv (and possibly dry it out a bit) to balance the increased sweetness? Would 1.5 lbs be too much? If I do this, I'd wait another week before dry-hopping.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #114
taurean
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This will be my first All-Grain brew. Did you mash the entire grain bill or does any of it get steeped? I'm also not going to dry hop, instead I will do a hopback. Anyone else try this?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #115
furner
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have had this on gas since last week, drew the first glass a few minutes ago. This is so damn close to the original I don't think I could tell the difference. Great beer. I dry hopped 7 days in a 5 gal paint strainer bag.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #116
Kidagora
Mr.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

What's the general consensus on the IBUs? I see from several posts that the original Hopslam is closer to 65-70 IBUs and this recipe has it closer to 130+. That seems like a pretty significant difference. Is it noticeable? Does it matter? How close to the original Hopslam is this? The reason why I ask is that I've seen several clones for this out there and I have about 8 bottles left from Feb. to try and compare. Im trying to decide which recipe to use and thought one with stats closer to what Bell's states would be "better". Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

"The idea is to remain in a state of constant departure while always arriving. It saves on introductions and goodbyes. The ride does not require explanation - just occupants."

Old 03-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #117
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidagora View Post
What's the general consensus on the IBUs? I see from several posts that the original Hopslam is closer to 65-70 IBUs and this recipe has it closer to 130+. That seems like a pretty significant difference. Is it noticeable? Does it matter? How close to the original Hopslam is this? The reason why I ask is that I've seen several clones for this out there and I have about 8 bottles left from Feb. to try and compare. Im trying to decide which recipe to use and thought one with stats closer to what Bell's states would be "better". Thoughts, comments, suggestions?
I decided to aim for 100 IBU's when I did mine. I lowered the FWH and 60 minute additions.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #118
Kidagora
Mr.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I was thinking about halving all hop additions to get it closer to 70 IbUs.

"The idea is to remain in a state of constant departure while always arriving. It saves on introductions and goodbyes. The ride does not require explanation - just occupants."

Old 03-15-2013, 02:39 AM   #119
Hanso
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidagora
I was thinking about halving all hop additions to get it closer to 70 IbUs.
Bells says upper 60s Tinseth is what you should be aiming for, so that sounds spot on. Maybe the other IBUs are calculated in Rager?....

Old 04-14-2013, 10:00 PM   #120
taurean
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have to say, cheers for this recipe! I only got a 1.74 OG, but got down to 1.012. My efficiency is way off, but it is also my first AG, so I am learning, as well as learning my set-up. I think it tastes great! My only changes are that I used 2lbs of local honey, and I did 3oz of leaf Simcoe in a Hoprocket hopback (I also ended up dry hopping as well). I will keep brewing it until I get the OG right though!

Quick Reply