Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Heavenly Scourge Black IIPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #141
Reuben1012
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesm View Post
Seems like a long primary and secondary. Did you notice it need to be aged longer or was it for attenuation? And when did you start the dry hopping? Looks like a great recipe ad a great brew!
I had a good pipeline going at the time so it sat for a while, attenuation was quick with the big starter of 05. I think these beers would be good young too, because you would get even more hoppy goodness I started the dry hopping 10 days before I racked to the keg. I want to make it again but need more bulk hops first.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #142
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 19

just added my dry hops this morning, and thiefed a little. oh, I had forgotten how good this beer tastes!

. SN Tumbler Clone
. Nierra Sevada
Secondary:
Primary:
. SN Tumbler Clone 10g
. Sycamore Oatmeal Porter 10g
. Nierra Sevada 10g
On Deck:
Kegged:

Being a perfectionist does not make one perfect.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #143
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 9

This recipe and various modifications are one of the two favorites that I make. In fact, planning on using it for holiday treats this year.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #144
JLW
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewitt View Post
This recipe and various modifications are one of the two favorites that I make. In fact, planning on using it for holiday treats this year.
I too have made a few modifications. Mostly changed the hops to what have in stock. I have made this three times now and I plan on brewng this again either later this year or January.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is difficult to detrmine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
Fine Creek Brewery

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Kegged: Indian Brown Ale

Old 10-31-2012, 05:23 PM   #145
JLW
Recipes 

I wonder what this would taste like with alittle rye in it?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is difficult to detrmine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
Fine Creek Brewery

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Old 10-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #146
brrman
Recipes 

I would think the malt profile is strong enough to handle the "spiciness" of the rye malt. Might add a whole new element to the beer.

. SN Tumbler Clone
. Nierra Sevada
Secondary:
Primary:
. SN Tumbler Clone 10g
. Nierra Sevada 10g
On Deck:
Kegged:

Old 10-31-2012, 09:02 PM   #147
JLW
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrman View Post
I would think the malt profile is strong enough to handle the "spiciness" of the rye malt. Might add a whole new element to the beer.
I think I am going to do this real soon.

Fine Creek Brewery

Secondary:

Old 11-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #148
hopdropper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

All I got to say is "dang!". Been sitting on this one since April and down to a few bottles. Popped the top on one today and this thing is a real winner. Only deviation from the OPs recipe was 8oz of chocolate malt and I mashed the Carafa III for the entire 60 minutes. This is a HUGE beer with a pile of roast/chocolate/bitterness backed up by a hefty 9% ABV. Oh, and the head on this beer? You could bounce a quarter off it...check out the pic. I'm down to three 12 oz bottles and I'm going to hang on to them till the next local comp...
Crap...not a very good pic...this hog is midnight-black, very clear and just flat-out righteous.

black-ipa.jpg  

Old 11-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #149
hopzicle
Recipes 

Just brewed this today. I also mashed the Carafa III for the entire 60 minutes. Can't wait!

Old 11-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #150
brrman
Recipes 

So, this evening I just tasted my most recent batch - it is in the keg only 2 days on gas so it's still a little flat, but it makes me wonder why I haven't brewed this more often.

I always mash the carafa for the full 60 now as well. I have found little to no difference from adding in the last 10 mins. Perhaps I should change the original recipe post.

. SN Tumbler Clone
. Nierra Sevada
Secondary:
Primary:
. SN Tumbler Clone 10g
. Nierra Sevada 10g
On Deck:
Kegged:

Quick Reply