Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Heavenly Scourge Black IIPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #101
redXstripe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW
Getting ready to order ingredients for my second round of brewing this. Will Carafa II work just as well and Carafa III?
Carafa II would be fine.

I used Carafa I-but steeped for the whole mash (by mistake) and the brew turned out great.

Carafa II is a little less roasted than Carafa III-if following the original recipe posted-you may want to add the Carafa II for the last 20 mins of the mash as opposed to last ten minutes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #102
redXstripe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by winvarin

I have it on tap now. It's not quite garbed but the aroma is a little better. I only dry hopped a week before kegging and have not had good luck dry hopping in the keg. I can get mostly pellets around here and have noticed that I don't care for the flavor as much when I hop in the keg in a tea diffuser.

Thinking about hopping a little longer and maybe with some whole flowers from an online shop. What's a good amount of time to dry hop without getting grassiness?
Dry hopping with pellets for more than 7 days can extract unwanted flavors. Swap out the hops if you want to dry hop longer.

I'm with brrrman on the type of hops making a big difference. Also consider the amount you are using.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #103
redXstripe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by winvarin

I actually went that route. I drank the black ipa from laughing dog over the weekend and held to the light it is also more a dark brown than black. Plus I was pleased with the color of my hydrometer sample when poured into a glass. Darned close to black.

Dry hopped it Monday and will split half into bottles and keg the rest this weekend. One other question though. Should I expect a marked increase in hop aroma after dry hop? I am going with 2.5 oz of centennial, an ounce of Amarillo, and an ounce of Liberty at 68f for about 5 days. I went with what I had on hand for the dry hops.

I don't dry hop often and I know the only hop additions after the 60min addition were essentially knock out. I tasted and smelled my hydrometer sample. Nice, smooth bittering (I love magnum for that). But my hop aroma was very subdued. Hoping the dry hop will straighten that out.

I also like a prominent citrus flavor in an ipa. Thinking about moving a portion of the Amarillo to 15 or 20 min.
If you really want that citrus To stand out I would be generous with using the Amarillo at 5, 1, or at 0 minutes. 15 or 20 is going to burn off that aroma.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #104
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrman View Post
Beersmith File HERE[/URL]
Can someone please save this as a BeerXML file for me. You can PM me or post it to the list. I have BeerAlchemy and it doesn't seem to take BeerSmith files directly.

Thanks in advance and thanks for the amazing sounding recipe. This will probably be my next brew.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:00 AM   #105
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

OK, just entered it in by hand, converted it to a "partial extract" to make up for my compromised capacity for mashing (12.5 lb grain, 3 lb DME). I ordered the goods so this is my next brew. Can't wait!

Old 11-08-2011, 07:21 AM   #106
dankev
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just brewed this on Saturday. It was my 2nd all grain, but everything seemed to go OK, and I ended up at 1.08. I used Carafa 3 with the husks (I didn't realize the recipe was for dehusked), and I added it at the same time as the rest of the grain. My LHBS was out of Amarillo, so I used Simcoe that I already had. It's been bubbling away happily for 2 days. I can't wait for fermentation to slow down so I have an excuse to sample it.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #107
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I wouldn't be a bit concerned about your hop choice. Should be great. This is my favorite beer I have made so far. I did tweak the hops a little bit but mostly as indicated. I did use the dehusked Carafa III and added it at 15 min so I can't speak to that. From what I understand it might be a little harsher and more roasty. It's reasonably roasty as written but sounds like you will be fine.

Enjoy

Old 12-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #108
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I am finally getting back to this recipe. I haven't brewed it in over a year now. Going to brew 5 gallons this weekend.

. SN Tumbler Clone
. Nierra Sevada
Secondary:
Primary:
. SN Tumbler Clone 10g
. Sycamore Oatmeal Porter 10g
. Nierra Sevada 10g
On Deck:
Kegged:

Being a perfectionist does not make one perfect.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #109
JLW
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrman View Post
I am finally getting back to this recipe. I haven't brewed it in over a year now. Going to brew 5 gallons this weekend.
I'm brewing it the last week of December. I have friends asking when I will brew again. So tasty.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is difficult to detrmine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
Fine Creek Brewery

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Kegged: Indian Brown Ale

Old 12-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #110
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I have to admit it is one of my most memorable tasting beers. I have brewed lots that I can't even remember but this one sticks in my head.

. SN Tumbler Clone
. Nierra Sevada
Secondary:
Primary:
. SN Tumbler Clone 10g
. Sycamore Oatmeal Porter 10g
. Nierra Sevada 10g
On Deck:
Kegged:

Being a perfectionist does not make one perfect.

Quick Reply