Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Heavenly Scourge Black IIPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2011, 06:23 AM   #91
brrman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 22

awesome! hope you like it.

. Heavenly Scourge Black IIPA
On Deck:. Sycamore Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 05:48 AM   #92
opteek
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Racked this onto my second dryhop addition of 1.5oz Centennial/.5oz Amarillo today. I dryhopped with 1.5 oz Amarillo in the primary. It tastes absolutely awesome right now!! I cannot wait to bottle this in 5 days. This was my first time with such a large grain bill and I got around 60-65% efficiency rather than my usual 70%. My OG was 1.073 and it finished a little drier than expected at 1.014 for an ABV of 8.17%

I made a partigyle brew from some of the 2nd and 3rd runnings but it only ended up being 1.027 and finished really low at 1.004 so I think it's infected. I let it sit in the fridge overnight before boiling but that shouldn't be a problem? I was shooting for a dark mild and hopped around 4 gallons with an ounce of willamette. I'm debating on whether or not I should bother botteling it. Since the OG was so low, is there a chance that the yeast took it down that low or am I probably looking at an infection?

Old 05-09-2011, 02:36 PM   #93
chapa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've never brewed a beer that small, but I wouldn't think theres a problem at all. Likely it's just because your og was so low. You could maybe blend it if you want, or even boil up some dme and add it in to get some more flavor. The ultimate question tho, is how does it taste? Maybe a little watery?

Sounds like your black iipa is going to come out good though! Congrats on that!

Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

Old 05-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #94
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts

Brewed this on Friday. Had to change the hop bill up a little to account for what the LHBS had on hand. It's fermenting at 66F now. Hit my mash dead on at 154F. My system is not quite as efficient on bigger beers and I didn't boil off as much as I'd hoped. Gravity was a little lower, (about 1.070), which is OK because I'd also scaled back on the hops by about 15 IBUs to make it a little more palatable for my wife.

However, with the more dilute beer and the lower than expected efficiency, the fermenting beer is more of a dark, dark brown than a true black. With my experience on volume and SRM, it is only likely to lighten up once it's in the glass.

In order to keep the color on target in terms of what I am shooting for, I am considering trying Sinamar. I've never used it before so a couple of questions:

1. Is it OK to use after ferment? Most of what I've read sounds like this would be an "end of the boil" additive. If I use the entire amount from an unopened bottle (cleaning the rim with rubbing alcohol of course), infection should not be an issue should it? I was considering just adding it to my secondary when I rack the beer over for dry hopping.

2. How much? One ounce is supposed to give a 6 SRM color shift. It looks like morebeer.com sells it in 1 ounce increments. I would think at a dark brown, 2 ounces should get me into the black range without issue.

3. Should I just not worry and let this fall out where it will. Even at deep, reddish-brown, this is still going to be a hop buffet.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #95
brrman
Recipes 

I would leave it and drink as is. It doesn;t have to be black. Just call it a Dark IIPA... I have to brew this again... damn I miss having this on hand.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:40 PM   #96
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrman
I would leave it and drink as is. It doesn;t have to be black. Just call it a Dark IIPA... I have to brew this again... damn I miss having this on hand.
I actually went that route. I drank the black ipa from laughing dog over the weekend and held to the light it is also more a dark brown than black. Plus I was pleased with the color of my hydrometer sample when poured into a glass. Darned close to black.

Dry hopped it Monday and will split half into bottles and keg the rest this weekend. One other question though. Should I expect a marked increase in hop aroma after dry hop? I am going with 2.5 oz of centennial, an ounce of Amarillo, and an ounce of Liberty at 68f for about 5 days. I went with what I had on hand for the dry hops.

I don't dry hop often and I know the only hop additions after the 60min addition were essentially knock out. I tasted and smelled my hydrometer sample. Nice, smooth bittering (I love magnum for that). But my hop aroma was very subdued. Hoping the dry hop will straighten that out.

I also like a prominent citrus flavor in an ipa. Thinking about moving a portion of the Amarillo to 15 or 20 min.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #97
brrman
Recipes 

Dryhop should help the aroma... It's been two weeks - have you tried it since dryhopping?

Old 06-15-2011, 01:37 AM   #98
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrman
Dryhop should help the aroma... It's been two weeks - have you tried it since dryhopping?
I have it on tap now. It's not quite garbed but the aroma is a little better. I only dry hopped a week before kegging and have not had good luck dry hopping in the keg. I can get mostly pellets around here and have noticed that I don't care for the flavor as much when I hop in the keg in a tea diffuser.

Thinking about hopping a little longer and maybe with some whole flowers from an online shop. What's a good amount of time to dry hop without getting grassiness?

Old 06-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #99
brrman
Recipes 

Grassiness will depend more on the hop type than the length of time. Usually one weeks is sufficient though.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:23 PM   #100
JLW
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Getting ready to order ingredients for my second round of brewing this. Will Carafa II work just as well and Carafa III?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is difficult to detrmine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
Fine Creek Brewery

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Kegged: Indian Brown Ale

Quick Reply