American IPA Harvester of Sorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remmy

Drink First, Ask Questions Later
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast British Ale 1098
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
4.9 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
24 days @ 68F
Tasting Notes
Well-balanced, crisp beer. The bitterness is not in-your-face. Quite smooth.
Ingredients

16.00 lb American 2-Row
1.50 lb German Cara Pils
11.70 oz. Dextrose/Corn Sugar

Hops

0.5 oz Columbus (60 min.)
2.0 oz Columbus (10 min.)
2.0 oz Simcoe (10 min.)
2.0 oz Columbus (0 min.)
2.0 oz Simcoe (0 min.)

Yeast

Wyeast British Ale 1098 (very small starter w/harvested 1098).

Mash at 150F for 90 minutes.
Batch sparge with 185F water.

hos.jpg

Awesome name!

Is that sugar addition correct? If so, what size batch is this?

I almost always use Chico strain yeasts and beer to try something different; how would you say this yeast is different from wlp001 etc?

Yikes, I meant ounces. Corrected that.

I hate when I get those mixed-up. :D

Awesome name!

Is that sugar addition correct? If so, what size batch is this?

I almost always use Chico strain yeasts and beer to try something different; how would you say this yeast is different from wlp001 etc?

Thanks.

I've yet to use White Labs' version of that type of yeast (West Coast/Cali ale). So, I can't comment on that.

I had harvested the 1098 from a stout I made. So, I figured I'd use it for this brew. I know a lot of American IPAs are brewed with this strain and that's why I decided to give it a shot.

The 1098 left me with a clean, crisp beer. Attenuation was good. Give it a shot. It does its thing and allow your malt(s) and hops to do all the talking.

For some reason, the fields HBT requires for a recipe do not appear on the mobile version. So, that could be why he is asking. I'll let the mods know about it.

This was a 5.5-gallon batch.

Jesus, who the hell are you, the forum cop? I didn't get an answer so I asked again and Remmy nicely answered. It's not even your topic so f-off please.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Jesus, who the hell are you, the forum cop? I didn't get an answer so I asked again and Remmy nicely answered. It's not even your topic so f-off please.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

So angry, RDWHAHB :)

Also: don't start things then cry about it ;)

Back