Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Fresh Squeezed IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011, 01:51 AM   #21
chapa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Drinking this now. Very tasty brew. It reminds me of a Ranger IPA, since it does have similar hops, but I'd have to say this is definitely better! Has more of a citrus/orange flavor than Ranger, which I think rounds it out more, Ranger almost gets catty to me after a little while of drinking them.

I used the oak cubes but dont notice them really, and unless it tastes like a tree, I'm not good at detecting that flavor. I think I can taste it more in the mouthfeel and maybe adds a little smooth dryness to it. It seems to blend well with the hops.

I think I could have left the dry hops and oak in for a few more days. It's got a great aroma, but it may have been better if I would have left them on for 10 days. I got anxious and kegged after 6 days of dry hopping.

It's still rounding out, as it's only been in the keg for maybe 2 weeks or so, but definitely digging it so far! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Edit: I did a pretty different malt bill also, so this might change the overall flavor profile, as you used more crystal malts and some munich, but obviously the hops are the spotlight of this recipe, so I doubt it made a huge difference. However I don't think the extra crystal is a bad idea with this one. Either way it's a great beer!

Here's a picture of it in action :-)

forumrunner_20110504_195033.jpg  
Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 06:11 AM   #22
ThePell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I've been extract brewing for the last 5 months (newbie) and I want to use this amazing sounding recipe as my first all grain. This beer sounds so up my alley. I don't have all the gear to do a normal mash/sparge but I just got an awesome pot to do BIAB. Anyone want to suggest any changes to the grain bill for me? I've read how BIAB can be a bit less efficient than the standard AG methods.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #23
Brewenstein
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Brewed this last evening with a few slight changes. Used some C-15 as well as C-40 and only used 1/2 pound of carapils. Also only did a 60 minute boil and adjusted the amount of hops slightly to account for this. Think I ended up with 80 IBU's and an OG of 1.060. I was aiming for a slightly lower alcohol version. I ended up with 6.5 gallons, so I split it between two ale pails. Used a slurry of Notty from my house amber that I bottled a few days ago. I am thinking of dry hopping each one with different hops, just to see what it does. I will wait until then to decide, based on what I think I would like with how it is tasting. I will try to remember to update when I do that.

Thanks for the tasty looking recipe !

Old 06-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #24
Lodovico
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewenstein View Post
Brewed this last evening with a few slight changes. Used some C-15 as well as C-40 and only used 1/2 pound of carapils. Also only did a 60 minute boil and adjusted the amount of hops slightly to account for this. Think I ended up with 80 IBU's and an OG of 1.060. I was aiming for a slightly lower alcohol version. I ended up with 6.5 gallons, so I split it between two ale pails. Used a slurry of Notty from my house amber that I bottled a few days ago. I am thinking of dry hopping each one with different hops, just to see what it does. I will wait until then to decide, based on what I think I would like with how it is tasting. I will try to remember to update when I do that.

Thanks for the tasty looking recipe !
How did these changes come out?

On Draft: Mild
On Draft: IPA
On Draft: Belgian Pale Ale
In Bottle: Brett Porter
In Bottle: Flanders Red
In Bottle: Oud Bruin
Fermentor: Biere De Garde
Fermentor: Belgian Amber Ale

Old 06-10-2011, 09:35 PM   #25
Brewenstein
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

I just bottled this last night. I dry hopped with an ounce of amarillo and an ounce of cascade for one week. My OG was 1.060 and my FG was a little high at 1.020 with 80 IBUs . (Just order an oxygenation kit from Williams Brewing - I think that will take care of some under attenuation issues I have been having.) It tasted really good, perhaps a bit sweet, but I will wait until it is carbed for final analysis.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:57 AM   #26
smack2000
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodovico View Post
I'm curious if you followed the recipe straight through and added the oak? I'm going to make a batch this weekend and try it without the oak and also make one and double the oak to see what I get. This one never stays around long.
Any update? How did your with and without oak experiment turn out?

Old 06-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #27
Lodovico
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack2000 View Post
Any update? How did your with and without oak experiment turn out?
I have no way of explaining it, but it seems that my batch without the oak, has a little less citrus aroma than the oaked versions. I know it doesn't make sense, but it's not there.

I think the oak does provide a certain smoothness in the drinkability as well, so I'm going to go back to oaking this one. Cheers!

On Draft: Mild
On Draft: IPA
On Draft: Belgian Pale Ale
In Bottle: Brett Porter
In Bottle: Flanders Red
In Bottle: Oud Bruin
Fermentor: Biere De Garde
Fermentor: Belgian Amber Ale

Old 06-14-2011, 01:42 AM   #28
smack2000
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodovico View Post
I have no way of explaining it, but it seems that my batch without the oak, has a little less citrus aroma than the oaked versions. I know it doesn't make sense, but it's not there.

I think the oak does provide a certain smoothness in the drinkability as well, so I'm going to go back to oaking this one. Cheers!
Thanks. I was just curious. I have no intention of changing a thing in this recipe. Will probabl do another batch in a couple of weeks. Down to my last few bottles.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #29
ThePell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

We'll see how this turns out for me. LHBS didn't have Simcoe so I used Centennial instead. I started way too late like a dummy and was up until 4am working the brew Monday night. My boil off rate was far higher than I expected and I only ended up with 4 gallons at a whopping 1.082 SG. I do have to say though that I was stunned I was able to BIAB that much grain with the limited equipment I have.
Crossing my fingers...

Old 07-08-2011, 01:53 AM   #30
Mr_Pear
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I have some med french oak chips, do you think if I did an oz of these it would impart more oak then the cubes? I like the idea of the added smoothness but don't really want to add more oak flavor. I might just get some cubes to have anyway but wanted to see what people thought, hopefully brewing this tomorrow night, looks and sounds wonderful!!

Quick Reply