Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Fresh Squeezed IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2013, 02:19 AM   #141
JusBiz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Just bottled today. Tasted great. A lot of grapefruit came through. Drank a whole glass warm and uncarbonated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #142
epicac2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Old 07-31-2013, 10:10 PM   #143
lebucheron
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Brewed this about a month ago, came out really nice and great hop taste! I backed off on the crystal 40 though, seemed a bit more than I have a taste for (used 1lb instead of 1.3). Thanks for the recipe!

Old 08-01-2013, 03:55 AM   #144
martiniw2olives
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 35

My next project, thank you!

"How about you, Lash LaRue? You think you can keep your spurs from jinglin' and janglin'?" Winston Wolf

Old 08-23-2013, 04:09 AM   #145
torso
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Looks great! How did you dry hop? Just drop them in the carboy or do you have a way of suspending them in the beer?

Old 08-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #146
mattmeiske12
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Brewing this next weekend... but I'm especially excited to use my homegrown hops for it. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Bottled: Harvest Ale, Mojito Pale Ale (Lime and Punishmint), French Saison (w/Brett), Nugget Nectar Clone, Chocolate PB Stout, Hot Chocolate (Chocolate Chili Stout), Kobe (Chocolate Oak Yeti Clone), Defendant (Black IPA)
On Deck: Cinnamon Raisin Strong Ale

GREEN ACRES BREWING
Allentown, PA

Old 11-04-2013, 03:36 AM   #147
the_adj
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm hoping some of you more expert brewers can help this 1st timer. I tried to stick as close to recipe as possible but ran into a few snags and am curious how this will impact the final product.

Mashed in 5.3 gals on 17.6 #s of grain @ 169*. Grain was 65* and cooler w/ false bottom @ 60*. It seemed very soupy? After 10 mins temp was 147*. Over the course of an hour I added varying amounts of increasingly hot water (about 1.5 qts all said and done) and got maybe a 1* raise. Fearing too much dilution I took off 1.5 gals from mash tun and heated it to 189.5*. I poured this back in and stirred and got to 154* in the mash tun. I let it sit for an hour (temp held steady) then drained. Like an noob I forgot to do an iodine test.

I then batch sparged using apprx 6 gals @ 175*. This took mash tun to 159*. I stirred and let sit for 10 mins then drained.

Collected apprx 8 gals in BK.

**Other changes to the recipe:
- Added the 90 min addition at flame-on. (FWH, right?)
- Added 1.25 oz Simcoe at 0 mins instead of 0.75 it called for.
- Added ~0.8 oz. Medium Toast Hungarian Oak Shavings (per LHBS)
- my gravity reading was at 1.060 instead of the 1.076 beersmith2 predicted

Collected ~ 6 gals in a 6.5 gal bucket. Re-hydrated 1 packet of US-05. Didn't see much action in the jar. Pitched anyways. 24 hours later little to no action in bucket. See picture. I went ahead and bought another US-05 from a diff LHBS and pitched it tonight. It looked better in jar but still not amazing. Trying to ferment w/ blow-off tube in a chest freezer @ apprx 66*.

My main concerns are:
- what the hell will all this do to the flavor? I've had some bad luck with extract brews in the past.
- the taste concerns me a little. Smell is good. The sweetness is nice and I know that will ferment well. But the end/aftertaste is super bitter. like.. mouth puckering. I'm a hop-head and all but dayum. Any thoughts on how this will end up in 3 weeks after being dry hopped and kegged?

*I'm so thankful to anyone who can offer insight into this. I know I'm just a nervous nancy but I've had bad luck in the past and I'm worried I flubbed up again. What should I have done different (other than pre-heating mash tun)?

1.jpg  

Old 11-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #148
libeerty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I honestly bet its fine. Two yeast packets fine with that OG. You will get your system down in future so you can mash at the temp you prefer. Tough to gauge when conversion happened, but possibly at a higher temp than you wanted. In which case it may not get to the FG that you wanted. Then again, only 10 minutes high and then at 148? So might be fine. And even a slightly high FG won't be worst thing in the world, may work with the bitterness you tasted.

Tried to keep up with this signature, but just couldn't.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #149
the_adj
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by libeerty View Post
Then again, only 10 minutes high and then at 148?
I ended up mashing for 1 hr at 148 and then 1 hr at 154. And like like the newb that I am didn't do an iodine tincture test or take a gravity reading. I mashed at the higher temp because I assumed only mashing at 148 would give me a dryer less sweet beer which is not what I wanted. Does that make sense?

Old 11-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #150
libeerty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Yes, but after the conversion happens at 148 for the hour, not much else is happening at the hour 154 mash. Maybe a bit more conversion. That said, I really don't think there is any harm done. Lots of folks mash IPAs at 148 to make them drier and less sweet.

Tried to keep up with this signature, but just couldn't.

Quick Reply