Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Fresh Squeezed IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #91
Lodovico
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtitus6 View Post
Brewed this beer and substituted Citra for Chinook to add some pineapple flavor, and it was a glorious beer. Won me my first medal in homebrew competition. Thanks for sharing! !
No worries!! Congrats.

On Draft: Mild
On Draft: IPA
On Draft: Belgian Pale Ale
In Bottle: Brett Porter
In Bottle: Flanders Red
In Bottle: Oud Bruin
Fermentor: Biere De Garde
Fermentor: Belgian Amber Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #92
OCBrewin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Brewing this soon! Looks fantastic. One question though:

I don't have any Chinook, but I do have plenty of Citra and Zythos. I was thinking of just subbing 1:1 Zythos for Chinook. Zythos is supposed to be a citrusy blend of hops and I think that it will be appropriate here.

Also, I was planning on adding 0.5# of Melanoidin malt since I have this on hand and this may be a good recipe to use it in, any problems in these changes that can be seen??

Thanks!

Old 08-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #93
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 37

There is a brewery in Meadville, PA (I see you're from PA) that has a FANTASTIC IPA called Fresh Squeezed. You aren't by chance John, are you?

Old 08-11-2012, 02:00 AM   #94
Briton
Recipes 

I'm thinking of adding Galaxy hops to this. Should I just replace all of one hop? Any help would be appreciated...

Old 08-12-2012, 03:13 AM   #95
Petekiteworld
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Just add the galaxy as late additions, or dry hopping

Old 08-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #96
OCBrewin

Recipes 

So I'm finally getting around to brewing this bad boy this weekend (tomorrow I hope!) and had a few questions on my subs.

As I said above I have no Chinook but I have Zythos and Citra. I am thinking of subbing the Citra for the Chinook as Mtitus did above, except for the first addition. I have heard that Citra can be a little "catty" when used as a first bittering hop for that long so I was thinking of the Zythos blend for the 90min bittering sub. Should be good I think.

Any problems seen subbing a little less C60, say 1#, for the C40? I don't have any C40 but have quite a bit of C60 and C120 for other recipes coming down the line. Still on the fence about adding a bit of Melanoidin malt since I have this on hand too.

Lastly, I know that US-05 is clean and tried and true in this recipe, but I have some yeasts that I havent used before just sitting and waiting for me. What do you think of: Wyeast 1272 Am. Ale or Wyeast 1450 Denny Conn. as a sub? I'll probably just end up using US-05 for the clean and bright flavor that I get with that, but I would be interested to see what the malt-forward 1450 may do to the beer. 1272 is described as, "ferment cool for a clean, light citrus character", which sounds right up the alley of the 'Fresh Squeezed IPA'!!

Sorry for the long post, just drank some espresso and very amped to get this brew bubblin away. Thanks all!!

Old 08-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #97
Petekiteworld
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Citra is completely different than chinook and will give you a totally different beer (maybe a better beer, citra rarely disappoints).

C60 is a bit much but you can try it, I'm sure it will be good.

Do whatever seems okay with the yeast, half is voodoo magic and half is marketing anyway.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #98
OCBrewin

Recipes 

Thanks for the reply! Going with citra and Zythos and will update. Found some C40 in ly bin so that's a go too. I also thought about it and will just stick to the US 05. I'll save the 1272 for something else.

Should make a good beer! Thanks!

Old 08-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #99
chalmer9
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

Heating up the strike water for this now. Doing a 5 gallon batch due to the limitations with my 8.5 gal boil kettle. Can't wait, should be delicious...thanks for the recipe.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:06 AM   #100
OCBrewin

Recipes 

Getting close to kicking the keg on this one and will definitely be brewing this up again soon! I stayed true to the recipe, except I threw in about an extra once of Citra along the way in the boil kettle and dryhopped with an additional 1/2 ounce of Citra. Here's a pick below... really beautiful color. Don't mind the lack of head, I just waited too long to snap the photo - it's there!

One thing that I've really noticed is how the oak seems to be coming out much more now that the hops have begun to fade out. The oak is by no means overpowering, just more noticable now. Still really smooth though.

mason-fresh-squeezed-ipa.jpg  

Quick Reply