Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Forbidden Fruit IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #11
theNOOB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Friends,

I'm about to brew up a batch of this, hopefully for a cast party at the end of march. I was just wondering if there was any advice you could offer or anything special I should know. Right now I'm planning to brew-in-a-bag with a little extra grain to maintain efficiency. I also intend to make a 500 ml yeast starter. My primary fermenter is a 6.5 gallon glass carboy; I need to buy a new secondary, I'm thinking a standard plastic brewing bucket. Anything else I should know about this recipe?

P.s. I'll be substituting Amarillo whole leaf hops for the Amarillo pellets

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #12
SenorPepe
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Hmm..I'm subbed. Looking to get rid of some Amarillo and I love fruity IPAs. Would probably replace bittering charge with CTZ. I'll let you know if I brew it.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:22 AM   #13
pm5k00
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by theNOOB View Post
Friends,

I'm about to brew up a batch of this, hopefully for a cast party at the end of march. I was just wondering if there was any advice you could offer or anything special I should know. Right now I'm planning to brew-in-a-bag with a little extra grain to maintain efficiency. I also intend to make a 500 ml yeast starter. My primary fermenter is a 6.5 gallon glass carboy; I need to buy a new secondary, I'm thinking a standard plastic brewing bucket. Anything else I should know about this recipe?

P.s. I'll be substituting Amarillo whole leaf hops for the Amarillo pellets
As far as the cane sugar goes, I would either add it in the last 5 minutes of the boil, or at day 3 or 4 of fermentation (when fermentation starts to slow down). If you choose the later add some to 2 cups of water and bring to a boil, then cool to 70ish before you add it.

You can secondary if you want, I never do with IPAs personally, I like to drink them asap. It Will be even better with whole hops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorPepe View Post
Hmm..I'm subbed. Looking to get rid of some Amarillo and I love fruity IPAs. Would probably replace bittering charge with CTZ. I'll let you know if I brew it.
That will change the flavor some, I definitely get a tangerine flavor from the FWH of Summit, but I'm sure it will still come out great with Columbus.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #14
SenorPepe
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm5k00 View Post
A

That will change the flavor some, I definitely get a tangerine flavor from the FWH of Summit, but I'm sure it will still come out great with Columbus.
Hmm thanks for calling my attention to the fact it's a FWH and you like it's flavor contribution. I might brew it as is in that case.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #15
theNOOB
Recipes 

Thanks a lot. I'll give an update when I've got it in the fermenter.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #16
theNOOB
Recipes 

Just put a batch of this in the fermenter last night. My efficiency wasn't as good as I had hoped, but that's what I get for brewing without a mashtun. As long as my yeast starter wasn't contaminated I think it'll still be a fine brew.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:45 AM   #17
strikertown
Recipes 

I ended up making this over the weekend, since I had all the hops on hand. I forgot the sugar but I think it will still end up good. I will report once I start drinking it.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:16 AM   #18
pm5k00
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikertown
I ended up making this over the weekend, since I had all the hops on hand. I forgot the sugar but I think it will still end up good. I will report once I start drinking it.
If you want the higher abv you can add the sugar to fermenter, I like to do it at day 3 or 4 of fermentation. It will help to dry it out too.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #19
Vincent32
Recipes 

hi, I would make this recipe...but in Italy can't find calypso

what is the best hops to replace it? cascade?

thanks

Old 04-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #20
pm5k00
Recipes 

Bravo should give you similar results to calypso... palisade would pair nice also.

Quick Reply