Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Drowning Hops - IPA (AG, Bridgeport IPA Clone w/ First Wort Hopping)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 02:15 AM   #11
Poindexter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Mine was bottled 14 days ago and it is really, really good already. I am going to have a hard time letting this one get any age on it once day 21 gets here.

I am curious to know how long y'all have your late hops in the wort, thinking I can/ should go longer.

Generally on say a (1) hopping, those hops would be in for one minute of boil, maybe five of transferring, 15 in the whirlpool, so ~21 minutes total.

Is that about what you folks are doing or should I slow down a little bit?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2008, 05:30 AM   #12
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sadly, I tapped this keg today and I am NOT happy with the results. There's a faint hop aroma, but there is no hop flavor/taste. Rather sweet and malty. It's not a bad beer, just not what I was hoping for. I think I may have used some really old hops (need to go back to my notes) and I didn't get anything out of them. Oh well.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:05 PM   #13
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 479 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter
...I am curious to know how long y'all have your late hops in the wort, thinking I can/ should go longer.

Generally on say a (1) hopping, those hops would be in for one minute of boil, maybe five of transferring, 15 in the whirlpool, so ~21 minutes total.

Is that about what you folks are doing or should I slow down a little bit?
One trick I’ve found (thanks to niquejim) to lock in the flavor/aroma is to add the hops for the one minute boil. Kill the flame and drop in the (sanitized) chiller and drop the temp to 180 and hold it there for 10-15 minutes. Then continue to chill as normal.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:28 AM   #14
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Brewer
Sadly, I tapped this keg today and I am NOT happy with the results. There's a faint hop aroma, but there is no hop flavor/taste. Rather sweet and malty. It's not a bad beer, just not what I was hoping for. I think I may have used some really old hops (need to go back to my notes) and I didn't get anything out of them. Oh well.
Been waiting. I have a fair amount of Amarillo hops (high in beta acids) out oxidizing in big bowls at room temp on purpose. I am _planning_ to brew with a huge amount of low alpha hops to get the betas into the keg.

How old were your hops? What was their "as new/frozen" AA rating, and how many ounces did you use?

I am about to use 2007 harvest never sealed in Nitrogen 9.8% AA Amarillos, but I am counting that as 6% AA right now....

I have a feeling this technique is going to work very well with high beta acid hops as long as the AA IBUs stay reasonable. I'll send you one of mine in the next few weeks if you PM me an adress, I have to get my RIS out first....

Old 03-25-2008, 03:05 AM   #15
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee

Recipes 

I'm talking about a 2000 crop of Homegrown hops that I got about 8 months ago. Some where in sealed bags, but full of air. Who knows how they were handled before I got them.

I'd love to swap though. I can bottle up a few of mine and send them your way. PM's on the way.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:39 PM   #16
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 479 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
I'm talking about a 2000 crop of Homegrown hops that I got about 8 months ago. Some where in sealed bags, but full of air. Who knows how they were handled before I got them.
Times are tough when we're dragging out 8 year home grown hops.

Maybe you can get some fresh hops, boil up a hop tea and add it to the beer.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 03-25-2008, 02:58 PM   #17
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
Times are tough when we're dragging out 8 year home grown hops.

Maybe you can get some fresh hops, boil up a hop tea and add it to the beer.
Yeah....you do what you can! I just couldn't live with throwing them away. I work for a winery and still feel bad for dumping wine after a tasting.

Don't get me wrong fellas...this, to me, is a good beer. The hops I was hoping for just aren't there. Not enough to call it an IPA in my mind. And that's on my end, not the recipe!

Old 03-25-2008, 10:35 PM   #18
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Yeah....you do what you can! I just couldn't live with throwing them away. I work for a winery and still feel bad for dumping wine after a tasting.

Don't get me wrong fellas...this, to me, is a good beer. The hops I was hoping for just aren't there. Not enough to call it an IPA in my mind. And that's on my end, not the recipe!
Mine has been bottled 20 days today and I am starting another batch. With fresh hops this came out great. I am pushing the envelope a little this time, a friend is loaning me space in the engine room of his boat to age a keg of IPA.

After primary I am going to rack it to a keg with priming sugar and dry hops. I'll give it a couple weeks to carb up before it goes on the boat, then I will taste the first sample in December 2008. The boat is a 45 foot something with two bedrooms and twin diesels. (Not mine.)

For grains I am mashing 2# of marris Otter with 0.5# Melanoiden, and .25# each CaraPils and Crystal 40. I did (60) at 93°F, doing (20) at 126°F, and will do (60) at 152°.

While heating from 126 to 150 I am going to add 6 HBUs of mashing hops. For FWH I'll use another 18 HBUs, then 8-10HBUs at (1) and I'll dryhop with another 8-10.

I am using up a stash of Amarillo that never was under nitrogen and is going stale. I pulled it out to a big mixing bowl in my bedroom a couple weeks ago, I am counting the current AA around 6%. Going for lots of beta acids this time.

I think this beer is going to go great with Indian food this winter. Palak Paneer. dal. ghee. And so on.

I'll PM you a tracking number when the time comes Kilted, I am very happy with this technique.

EDIT: I also have 4# pale LME for (0), 1# of wheat LME for (0) and I have some cornsugar in reserve I am thinking about. I'll be checking the gravity of my minimash and so on, I want to mash high for malt flavor and low for fermentables, so I bought some extra cornsugar last weekend...shooting for 1.050 to 1.060 or so.

Last edited by Poindexter; 03-25-2008 at 10:38 PM.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:39 PM   #19
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee

Recipes 

Man, that just sounds fantastic! Please do keep us all posted on this one. Now I'm both thirsty AND hungry...

Old 04-01-2008, 12:49 AM   #20
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I'm sippin on a Bridgeport IPA right now and I gotta say it's pretty tasty! This is gonna go on the "to brew" list.

One thing though, I'm not sure I'd call it an IPA....maybe back in '84 it was the hoppiest of the hoppy but to me it's almost falling into the pale ale category.....just my $0.02 remember. I'm saying this also bc it might not be the uber hoppy brew you were expecting Kilted Brewer

Thanks again BM!

Quick Reply