Double IPA Double Simcoe IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewurzel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast #1099
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Great Floral nose with hints of grapefruit & citrus and a clean crispness.
Double Simcoe IPA
Imperial IPA

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Brewer: Julian Davis
Boil Size: 7.51 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min
Equipment: Brew Pot (15.5gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 40.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU

12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 70.6 %
2.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 11.8 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
1.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 5.9 %

1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (90 min) Hops 36.6 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (60 min) Hops 34.2 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (30 min) Hops 13.1 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (15 min) Hops 17.0 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (5 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (0 min) Hops -
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -

1 Pkgs Whitbread Ale (Wyeast Labs #1099) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.078 SG
SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.022 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.0 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.3 %
Bitterness: 104.3 IBU
Calories: 359 cal/pint
Est Color: 6.0 SRM

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Full Body Total Grain Weight: 16.00 lb
Sparge Water: 4.68 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Saccharification Add 20.00 qt of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F 40 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F 10 min

Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 4.5 oz Carbonation Used: -

Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 14.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

This beer went down really well at the local home brew club scoring an average of 39 point for taste

it has a great floral nose and

Thanks for the recipe. :rockin: I just finished a 6er of Weyerbacher's Double Simcoe. Very good beer.. This will probably be my first brew when I go to all grain. Simcoe hops are delicious.

That looks and sounds like a really good beer - I want to definitely try it!
I have yet to dive into all grain... Is there an extract/specialty grain substitute you could recommend?
Also if I were to just do a 60 minute boil (skipping the 90 minute hop addition as well), would that make the IBU 67.7?
I'm not trying to futs with the recipe too much but am curious, especially if there is an extract + Specialty grain method.
Thanks!

I just want to give some props to this recipe. Probably my favorite brew in the last year. Thanks again for posting this.

1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (0 min) Hops -
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -

Hi, I'm relatively new to brewing.
Could you explain the last two hop additions?

Is that 1oz at flameout, or are you dumping it into the fermenter?

Also, is that 2oz 5 days into the fermentation, or 5 days before you pull it out?

Also, is that 2oz 5 days into the fermentation, or 5 days before you pull it out?

Flameout into the kettle

2oz in the primary i would suggest after aggressive fermentation has calmed down. Like 2-3 days post pitch.

(All this is my opinion of course)

1 oz is at flame out

2 oz was dry hoping in the secondary fermenter
i usual lput dry hops in a few days before i have to rack to bottles or keg

Thanks

Nice...

So... 7 days primary, 14 days secondary, 14 days keg?

I'm going to brew this tomorrow morning. I also went for a sleight variation on the yeast.

Hey I am thinking about jumping this up to a 10 gallon batch. Does anyone see anything wrong with just doubling everything?
Thought I would give it a try since I am a hop head.

Hey I am thinking about jumping this up to a 10 gallon batch. Does anyone see anything wrong with just doubling everything?
Thought I would give it a try since I am a hop head.

I'm thinking the same thing. It shouldn't be a problem from what I can tell. How big is your mash tun?

Beersmith scaled up from 6 to 10 gallons
Just make sure you pitch enough yeast

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Copy of Double simcoe
Brewer: Julian Davis
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Boil Size: 13.20 gal
Estimated OG: 1.079 SG
Estimated Color: 6.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 118.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
20.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 70.59 %
3.33 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 11.76 %
1.67 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
1.67 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
1.73 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (90 min) Hops 35.7 IBU
1.67 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.73 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 33.4 IBU
1.73 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (30 min) Hops 25.7 IBU
1.73 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 16.6 IBU
1.73 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (5 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
1.67 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.67 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 5.88 %

Whitbread Ale (Wyeast Labs #1099) Yeast-Ale

I was just thinking back on this recipe, actually - and I really liked the ringwood yeast, when I compared with a bottle of the Weyerbacher. I'll have to brew this again in the summer.

Aaaaaaaaaaactually, I was thinking about doing this recipe again, except with Nelson Sauvin hops instead of Simcoe. They have a similar AA as the N.S. clocks in at about 12%

I think the grapefruit/pineapple flavor from the N.S. would work awesomely in a DIPA and this recipe is a damn fine place to start.

Though, I think I'd axe the Ringwood for an ale yeast that would impart less flavor.

So I brewed the Nelson Sauvin / Australian Ale yeast version of this today...

I under-pitched the AAE accidentally (ended up wearing half of it, actually), so I pitched Belgian II Abbey Ale yeast on top of it, that was leftover from a 30bbl batch of beer at my friend's brewery... we'll see what sort of things happen.

So I brewed the Nelson Sauvin / Australian Ale yeast version of this today...

I under-pitched the AAE accidentally (ended up wearing half of it, actually), so I pitched Belgian II Abbey Ale yeast on top of it, that was leftover from a 30bbl batch of beer at my friend's brewery... we'll see what sort of things happen.

Moved to secondary yesterday. Intense.

The Nelson Sauvin hops from NZ are wonderfully spicy and citrusey, especially when pared with the yeast I picked out. It almost tastes like I added Belgian candi sugar, but I didn't. Just a shame I can't find any more Nelson in the US.

Going to order a pile of Rakau Hops for the next go-around.

Did another version of this with the Rakau. We'll see how it turns out. This is a wonderful base recipe for IPAs.

12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 70.6 %
2.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 11.8 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 5.9 %

Could anyone help me convert this to extract? So far, I have 9 lb Pale LME (Pale Malt) and 1.2 lb Extra Light DME (Pilsner Malt). I'll do the Cara-Pils as specialty grains, but how can I factor in the Vienna malt?

I brewed my first batch of beer last night and I had this recipe picked out. Probably stupid going straight to all-grain, but I was too curious. Turned out to be a lot of fun for me and my girlfriend even if I oxidized/contaminated the beer.

Anyways, thanks for the recipe, I'll get back to you in a few weeks on tasting notes.

Happy Brewing!

I brewed my first batch of beer last night and I had this recipe picked out. Probably stupid going straight to all-grain, but I was too curious. Turned out to be a lot of fun for me and my girlfriend even if I oxidized/contaminated the beer.

Anyways, thanks for the recipe, I'll get back to you in a few weeks on tasting notes.

Happy Brewing!

Welcome to world of home brewing
nice way to jump in.
i'm sure it will be fine yeast kill off a lot of stuff in the production of alcohol.

i'm sure you will like the recipe too, let us know how everything turns out.

Code:
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 73.7 %
2 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.5 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.3 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.6 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.6 %
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 6 35.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 33.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 25.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 16.4 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 10 -
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 11 -
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 6.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Super High Gravity Ale (White Labs #WLP099) 
1 lbs Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 15 5.3 %
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.091 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.092 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.014 SG

So I slightly modified the recipe that was originally described. I ended up with 10.4% ABV and a crazy citrus/grapefruit aroma. The recipe here has just enough malt backbone to balance the hops and alcohol. Tasting at 5 days after force carbonation is pretty good. There is some alcohol heat that should die down after a month or longer.

Recent tasting with friends showed they preferred this recipe when compared to Wyerbacher Double Simcoe (much more bitter and nearly no hop aroma) and Hopslam (slightly more bitter with comparable hop aroma).

Trying my own idea.

strike water 172F Add 5.2
Mash 152F 60mins
Sparge Water 174F Add 5.2
Fly Sparge 20mins
Grain Bill
14 lb 2row pale malt
2 lb Carapils
1 lb Honey Malt
Boil 6.5gal 90mins
-90 1 oz Simcoe 12.2% AA
-60 1 oz Simcoe 12.2% AA
-20 1 oz Simcoe 12.2% AA
-15 Add Whirlfloc Tab
-10 Add Beer nutrient
-5 2 oz Simcoe 12.2%
-Cold Brake to 75
-Aerate 15 sec with oxygen tank
-Pich yeast starter 1272 O.G. 1.060
-Rack 5 to 10 days
-Dry Hop 5 days 2 oz Simcoe 12.2% AA

I'll let you know how it goes im brewing it right now, just waiting for my wort to get to a boil. . .

DSC06290.jpg

So the feedback I've received so far on this iteration has been great. The Rakau hopping and slightly different grainbill gives it a flavor similar to Three Floyds' Dreadnaught.

While this was well received at the brew club, some thought it a bit too sweet. I agreed. 158 is pretty high for a mash temp.

I just used the base recipe to make an IPA using Magnum for bittering and Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin for the late additions. Mashed at 152, though.

I definitely agree. I went down to 152 on the second batch of this. I would even consider a 148 mash temp for the next version.

Mine finished at 1.020. 74% attenuation, which is solid for S-04. I just kegged it. Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy are a terrific combination. Very unique and tasty IIPA.

I made this a few months ago and it is tasting great right now in the keg. One observation I have: it cleared out really well, but when I dry hopped with the 2 ounces of simcoe in the secondary it clouded back up. It's got quite a bit of hop haze, but quite frankly that is fine by me, since most of my ipa's are usually so clear.

I've dry hopped with simcoe as part of the dogfish 60 minute clone and never had that problem, so I was sort of surprised - but I guess 2 ounces is quite a bit!

I'll post a pic tonight if I can remember. It's like drinking a flower, I love it...it is very smooth for its high alcohol content.

I brewed this up on my birthday weekend (July 27) and split the hops, half Simcoe half Nelson Sauvin. The o.g was 1.092 and f.g was 1.022. About 76% attenuation with S-04 after 6 weeks, 9%abv. I really like it! Several people who appreciate IPA's have also quite enjoyed it, though I did get one negative. That person is pretty much a "beer should taste cold" kinda guy though. Great recipe I will brew again for sure.

Just another plug for the Galaxy/Nelson Sauvin combo. I used Magnum for bittering and eased off on the bittering addition a bit. One of the best and most unique IIPA's I've ever had. This seems like a great base for a IIPA.

I recently got a hold of 2 pounds of simcoe. I have always loved the double simcoe by weyer, so fi.ding this recipe has me very excited. I am going to brew this isln a couple of days. I plan on using the original recipe listed, however I am doing a 10 gallon natch and will be adding.a small amount, probably .25# of whole wheat to give it a bit.more body and stronger mouth feel. I am stoked to brew this, more updates to.come!

Latest posts

Back