Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Dogfish Head 90 Minute Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #401
madira_maker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrubHead View Post
After adding all strike water and stirring thoroughly the resulting mash temp will be achieved before putting the lid on the mash tun. How much dead space was left in the mash tun? 10 degree F drop seems a bit high even with 50F ambient temps.
I have a 54qrt rectangular cooler.... I think I had almost half the cooler still empty...I got a bigger cooler envisioning I will move to 10 gal batch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #402
TrubHead
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by madira_maker View Post
I have a 54qrt rectangular cooler.... I think I had almost half the cooler still empty...I got a bigger cooler envisioning I will move to 10 gal batch
That dead space consumed a bit of the heat which dropped mash temp. I've experienced this when mashing small grain bills. Might be time to get another cooler appropriately sized or configure a "false lid". I think Yooper or another brewer posted info on how to do make a false top/lid.

Good luck.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #403
bradpoff
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default What is in the bucket?

I brewed this on Monday, by Tuesday late it started chugging along in my ferm chamber set at 64. Checked it the next day, dipped my head into the freezer (ferm chamber) for a closer look and happened to breath in deeply and MAN o MAN....burning, over the top of my head tingling, stinging in the nose!!! What the hell is growing in the bucket or is this always the way it is....only my second batch with the ferm chamber freezer (ebay temp controller). Almost an acetic acid type nose. Has anyone else noticed this?

Old 06-02-2013, 01:19 AM   #404
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 142

It's just C02

Old 06-02-2013, 03:06 AM   #405
TheJasonT
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hey Brad,

Ive not made this particular brew, but I have noticed that sharp smell from some of my other beers, particularly the hoppy ones. I like to attribute it to the CO2 plus the fermentation byproducts. I wouldn't worry about it

Old 06-03-2013, 05:14 AM   #406
bradpoff
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin
It's just C02
Doubt it, CO2 is odorless and shouldn't burn as this did. More likely some compound from the hops only my second batch using a fermentation chamber so haven't noticed the strong odor. Time will tell

Old 06-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #407
Brharo
Recipes 

i brewed this beer yesterday. everything went great and i hit the OG of 1.085. i made a 3L yeast starter and the primary was bubbling within 2 hours which i haven't seen before. however i woke up to an exploded fermenter today. i was using a blow-off tube and the bucket lid still blew off. i have a 6 gallon bucket and had exactly 5 gallons of wort. the blow-off tube was about 3 feet long. this morning before work i replaced the 3 foot tube with an 8 foot tube, thinking that that might give more space. has anyone had better experience with a longer blow-off tube? or has anyone just done an open fermentation on this beer for the first few days? I have a feeling that when I get home the lid will be off again. Thanks!

Old 06-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #408
madira_maker
Recipes 

Quote:
I found the source of the high FG. My thermometer was out of cal. Was off by +11F !!
So, I really mashed at ~162F making the sugars un-fermentable.

Beer smelt and tasted ok while kegging. Should be ready for tasting in a week.
2 gallons done...3 more to go...after (primary+secondary = 5 weeks) condition in keg for 2 extra weeks and carbing... the beer is barely drinkable.

It smells fantastic but the beer has an over powering amber malt taste... very heavy bodied (expected due to the high FG) and finishes off leaving a bitter soapy feel... I'm not sure if all this is due to the high FG (caused by mashing 11degF higher)

Will brew it again in a couple of months... hope to finish of the remaining 3 gal. by then.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #409
TrubHead
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
2 gallons done...3 more to go...after (primary+secondary = 5 weeks) condition in keg for 2 extra weeks and carbing... the beer is barely drinkable.

It smells fantastic but the beer has an over powering amber malt taste... very heavy bodied (expected due to the high FG) and finishes off leaving a bitter soapy feel... I'm not sure if all this is due to the high FG (caused by mashing 11degF higher)

Will brew it again in a couple of months... hope to finish of the remaining 3 gal. by then.
Then why would you want to brew this again?

Old 06-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #410
Chattan
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradpoff View Post
Doubt it, CO2 is odorless and shouldn't burn as this did. More likely some compound from the hops only my second batch using a fermentation chamber so haven't noticed the strong odor. Time will tell
The burning sensation in the nose if from CO2, the by product of the yeast. How do I know???? I stuck my head in a keezer that had a CO2 leak that emptied a 40 lbs tank. It is an experience when you dip your head in the keezer and you can't even take a breath through your nose.

Quick Reply