Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Dogfish Head 90 Minute Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #381
Napes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Newbie question. I'm planning to brew the partial mash version of this recipe. I've read through most of the comments to learn what I can. I remain curious about the amount of LDME. Could someone help me understand how 9.5 lbs is needed in this brew? I'm not questioning that it's correct, I just want to understand what's involved. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #382
Chuck179577
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have run this recipe through 2 different calculators now, and keep coming up with IBU of 150+.
Is this correct? I see from the Dogfish head websit it is listed at 90. And the original recipe here lists 90.
What am I missing?

Old 03-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #383
SoSublime
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey guys, i have done this recipe 2x partial mash and it has turned out Fantastic! Now i have moved into the world of All Grain. SO i know this is a fairly basic question, but like i mentioned I'm a n00b.... How much water are you adding per lbs of grains? I'm think 1.25-5 qt per lbs... but this will be my second AG attempt so any advice would be helpful. It seem like a 152 temp is the ideal mash temp. and finally, should i stop my sparge once i hit the 7 gal mark?

Thanks in advanced!

-All the Way!

Rob

Secondary 2:
Bottled: "Double Dipper" IPA, "Marble Rye" Rye.
On Deck: "Chimay I, I Just Chimight"

Old 03-24-2013, 02:00 AM   #384
edg1979
Recipes 

Hey thanks finbar! I'm actually like 30 mins into the mash, man I'm really testing out the limits of my 30 qt kettle with this grain bill! Right at the top!

So I think I'm gonna just let it go about 75 mins at 150 with some stirs (I'm really babysitting this) and see where I'm at then. But I can't really test the gravity since the kettle is so full. I'll have to pull it out to test and then I can sparge to get the extra sugars.

Oh and btw, my buddy who drinks a lot of beer but has never brewed came up with a great idea...use a cupcake backing sheet ( the one with the cups) to measure out your hop charges! Use cupcake wrappers in first so they're easy to pull out (that was my addition to the idea). This seems like a real easy way to keep it all organized and separated. Shout outs to Brett on that one!

Happy brewing!

Old 03-27-2013, 03:10 AM   #385
DonnieZ
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Brewed a 10G batch of this on Saturday - it was my second AG batch and my buddy's got a few more AG under his belt. Was our first day with new equipment, including a converted keg mash tun and a pump.

Missed our OG by a few points - came up with 1.076 instead of the target 1.082. However, I think this is because we're a little green and didn't really get the sparge temperature right. Our sparge was pretty close to the mashing temperature - 154ish - we didin't hit the high 160's like we should have. I'm not sure these few gravity points are going to count for all that much though. We know for next time!

We did lose quite a bit of volume though. We used about 18G of water, but only 8G went into our fermenters - we figure we lost at least a gallon getting the pump to work. We kept losing siphon and having to re-prime the pump, and in the process losing some wort each time. So we learned our boil kettle now needs a ball valve too!

We split the wort between two carboys, each getting about 4G. We have an interesting experiment going with this batch - I made a twice stepped up starter of Wyeast 1098, and he pitched two dry packs of US-05. According to the conversations we've had at work, our visible fermentation action has been about the same. We shall see how the flavor differs in a month or so.

Hopefully this recipe turns out well. I love DFH 90, it was my first keg when I got a kegerator and I finished a 1/6th by myself in a little over a month. Saving approximately $70-80/keg would be great, even if this comes out 3/4ths as good!

Old 04-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #386
DonnieZ
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

After a week in the fermenter I checked the gravity of this beer and it was at 1.022-1.023. Last night I checked it and it was about the same.

How low has anyone been able to get this to ferment out? I know the original recipe states about 1.017, however I'm about .005 off from that now. I'll admit I don't have the experience to know how that's going to affect the final product. I pitched a twice stepped up starter of Wyeast 1098, first to 1L then to 1.5L. Should I repitch to try and get a few more points out of this? During the conversion we did hover around 156 for maybe 15 minutes while trying to get the temperature down, but we were at 154 or a little less for most of the 90 minute mash. Could this be contributing to the high gravity?

The hydrometer samples smell of the TF Amber Malt, and it's got the same smell as a spent bottle of 90 minute - so I know we're at least in the same neighborhood here!

Old 04-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #387
gbarron
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Mine got down to 1.015 by pitching directly onto a WLP007 yeast cake from an IPA. Also oxygenated for about 90 seconds.

Keg: Rye Saison, Belgian Golden Strong, DIPA, Citra IPA, English Barleywine aged on rum/oak, ESB, Vienna-fest, American-Oatmeal Stout
Secondary: Oud Bruin/Dark Sour, Rye Saison w/ Brett., Belgian Dark Strong, American Barleywine
Primary: Black Rye DIPA, Vermont IPA
On Deck: ESB, RIS, DIPA, German Pils

Old 04-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #388
springtime
Recipes 

Just transfered my DFH 90 min AHB extract clone to secondary after 10 days in Primary. Taste was fantastic, had that malty backbone of the DFH 90.-OG came in @1.090 and FG 1.021 / Pitched two vials of British Ale 005 @ 70 degrees. Without a doubt the most aggressive fermentation I have seen temp got up to 74 was a bit worried. Literally popped the lid on the side letting out krausen. I attached a blow tube. I will never brew without one. Airlock not ok with the big iipa's.
Crushed Grains:.5 lb 2 row malt, 1.5 lb Brown malt
Extract: 12lbs extra pale extract
hops for the 90 min every 7 min additions: 1/2 oz warrior, 2 oz Amarillo, 3/4 Simcoe
I did add at the last 15 min the AHB alcohol boost which is primarily corn sugar 14 oz (why? I like the kick lol)
Secondary dry hop: 1 oz Amarillo, 1/4 oz Simcoe, 1/2 oz Warrior

Old 04-11-2013, 01:25 AM   #389
edg1979
Recipes 

Funny you mention the kick!

I did mine as my first BIAB batch and my efficiency was bad so I threw in about a half pound or so of table sugar and that got it going for sure. I pitched a starter of 2 US-05 packets and the fermentation was decent but only for a couple days but it definitely worked!

I finished out at 10.5% ABV and it tasted and smelled great! Can't wait till its ready to drink, just bottled it on Saturday.

I also cold crashed it for 3 days and it cleared up very nicely.

Thanks for posting the recipe!

Old 04-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #390
DonnieZ
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Moved this to secondary today after 3 weeks in primary, and my gravity is still in the 1.021-1.023 range.

Smells of TF Amber malt, almost sickeningly sweet. Hope this turns out. Getting discouraged here..

Quick Reply