Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Dogfish Head 90 Minute Clone

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #371
cat007
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 22
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default


Brewed a version of this last night - finished about 2am!
Used Marris Otter and Bairds Amber malts.
Hops were Amarillo and Simcoe as this recipe stated and added every 10 minutes during the 90minute boil.

My mash was a little too cool - around 63C (145F).

Used two packs of s04 in a 3.2L starter 2 days earlier.

OG after pitching starter was 1.090 but I only had 17L, not the 20L that I should've ended up with.....hmmmmm

Checked on it this morning at 7am - so only 5 hours later and the fermentation is going really well.

Can't wait to see how it turns out

__________________
cat007 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #372
JMass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 234
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Last Saturday we had a little dinner party and taste comparison. My 90 vs. the original. I used my own Cascade hops instead some of the hops that the recipe called for. Basically mine had more flavor, body, aroma and strength. The orignal 90 tasted watered down by comparison and no hop aroma.

__________________
JMass is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 04:06 AM   #373
carter840
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Haven
Posts: 144
Default


Well I don't know what happened (actually I think I do). I just brewed this beer and came in way low on my OG at only 1.054. I had much less boil off then I had setup in my beersmith so I ended up with way too much pre boil and didn't even boil off what I thought I would. So what would you folks suggest I do? Should I add a little DME to the batch? How much would you suggest and in what gravity (how much water).
Thanks

__________________
carter840 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #374
madira_maker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: burr ridge
Posts: 22
Likes Given: 1

Default


Another "What do I do? " question...

My buddy and I brewed this recipe last weekend. Ended with an OG of 1.084 and pitched i smack pack of WYeast 1098 - Dry Whitbread.

The fermentation was very active for 72 hrs and it seems almost inactive right now (i'm sure yeast is doing its job).

Mean while, I was reading through other posts on why my Wheat IPA has such low attenuation.
I read that SG > 1.080 will need 2 smack packs of WYeast 1098 - Dry Whitbread if no starter was used.

Now, I'm worried... Do I need to pitch in more yeast (its been in the fermenter for 4 days) ?

__________________
madira_maker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #375
Brian4x4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Clinton
Posts: 102
Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by madira_maker View Post
Another "What do I do? " question...

My buddy and I brewed this recipe last weekend. Ended with an OG of 1.084 and pitched i smack pack of WYeast 1098 - Dry Whitbread.

The fermentation was very active for 72 hrs and it seems almost inactive right now (i'm sure yeast is doing its job).

Mean while, I was reading through other posts on why my Wheat IPA has such low attenuation.
I read that SG > 1.080 will need 2 smack packs of WYeast 1098 - Dry Whitbread if no starter was used.

Now, I'm worried... Do I need to pitch in more yeast (its been in the fermenter for 4 days) ?
I wonder what others will say here.
I know you under pitched as you need a starter or min of 2 yeast packs for this brew.

but I have added extra yeast in later and had no issues, but I wander what others will say.
__________________
Brian4x4 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #376
Brian4x4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Clinton
Posts: 102
Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by carter840 View Post
Well I don't know what happened (actually I think I do). I just brewed this beer and came in way low on my OG at only 1.054. I had much less boil off then I had setup in my beersmith so I ended up with way too much pre boil and didn't even boil off what I thought I would. So what would you folks suggest I do? Should I add a little DME to the batch? How much would you suggest and in what gravity (how much water).
Thanks
I added too much water once as well and just kept boiling till it was down to my level I wanted it.
It didn't affect the taste either in my opinion.
but yes you could have added more DME to boost that back up before pitching yeast.
but I know you probably did what you where going to do by now,
so let us know what you did do so we can all wait and see how it turns out.
__________________
Brian4x4 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #377
edg1979
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
Default


Scottlland, Thanks for sharing this recipe i can't wait to brew it!

QQ though: I've spent about as much time as i have reviewing the thread and i don't see anything related to BIAB. As i don't have any experience with All Grain but want to try it i think BIAB is the way to go.

So i do understand all the ingrediaents are the same, but as for the mash time and sparging....Any differences there you could point out (or anyone else with BIAB experience).

Thanks in advance!

__________________
edg1979 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 04:44 AM   #378
flyingfinbar
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: long island
Posts: 562
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by edg1979
Scottlland, Thanks for sharing this recipe i can't wait to brew it!

QQ though: I've spent about as much time as i have reviewing the thread and i don't see anything related to BIAB. As i don't have any experience with All Grain but want to try it i think BIAB is the way to go.

So i do understand all the ingrediaents are the same, but as for the mash time and sparging....Any differences there you could point out (or anyone else with BIAB experience).

Thanks in advance!
I brewed mine BIAB, and assumed that I would get a lower efficiency, so I bumped up my malt bill...ended up overshooting my OG, came in at pretty close to 1.1! I would still bump up the grain bill but maybe by a pound, depending on your efficiency. Also, make sure your bag is strong...that's a ton of grain, and you wouldn't want the bag to split while you're suspending it over the kettle. I used a retired aluminum brew kettle with a steamer basket to place my grain bag n while it drains. Other than those things, pretty straight forward. Came out delicious, I AB'd it with the real thing, and I thought it was a lot better. I didn't trust my judgement (everyone thinks their kid is the cutest) so I brought some to the local craft beer bar, and the owner and bartenders universally agreed that mine was better, via blind taste test.
__________________
flyingfinbar is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 12:36 AM   #379
edg1979
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
Default


Thanks for the advice, too bad I already picked up the grain . I'll stick with what I have for this one, too much going on to run back to the hbs.

On another note, how long did u mash and did you use the same temp guidelines as the AG recipe?

As for the bag I bought a bunch of that Swiss voile stuff and designed a bag to fit in my kettle with an integrated bungee at the top and seams reinforced with cotton webbing. My neighbor is a seamstress so she's gonna sew it up real nice for me. I think it will work well....fingers crossed!

__________________
edg1979 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 03:19 AM   #380
flyingfinbar
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: long island
Posts: 562
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by edg1979 View Post
Thanks for the advice, too bad I already picked up the grain . I'll stick with what I have for this one, too much going on to run back to the hbs.

On another note, how long did u mash and did you use the same temp guidelines as the AG recipe?

As for the bag I bought a bunch of that Swiss voile stuff and designed a bag to fit in my kettle with an integrated bungee at the top and seams reinforced with cotton webbing. My neighbor is a seamstress so she's gonna sew it up real nice for me. I think it will work well....fingers crossed!
I did the same mash time and temps! There are some online calculators that will help you pinpoint your strike temperature based on the temperature and amount of grain.

On a side note, when I brewed this batch, I didn't even have a proper bag yet! I just used a sheet of voile held in place at the top of the steamer basket with steel binder clips, haha.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the grain bill. Maybe mash a little longer with a few stirs. Check the gravity towards the end of the boil, and if it seems too low, add some DME. I think you'll be fine!
__________________
flyingfinbar is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract Yooper India Pale Ale 2175 09-04-2014 12:51 AM
Multiple - Lakefront IPA clone-ish Yooper India Pale Ale 69 04-28-2014 01:01 AM
Extract - MY 60 minute IPA deepsouth India Pale Ale 35 01-20-2014 12:53 PM
All-Grain - Avery IPA Clone tborgman India Pale Ale 8 04-24-2011 01:03 PM
Hogfish Dead 30 Minute IPA McTarnamins India Pale Ale 1 11-19-2007 11:53 AM