Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Dogfish Head 90 Minute Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 PM   #331
Renaveg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I agree, it's a great brew, but maybe a little fruity. I wonder if the 007 like the op suggested would take care of that?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 01:21 AM   #332
Brian4x4
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaveg View Post
I agree, it's a great brew, but maybe a little fruity. I wonder if the 007 like the op suggested would take care of that?
Since making this 4 times and playing with a little extra hops here and there i used london ale yeast, witbread yeast and 007 they all are great beer in my opinion. Cheers

Old 02-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #333
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmv View Post
I brewed this on Sunday, and boy did it look gorgeous after cold break.

I used ~ 19.5lbs 2row and 1.5lbs TFA on a 6.5 gal batch (always brew more when doing IPAs due to hop loss). Sparging was a bit interesting. I was only able to hit about 1.063 at pre-boil gravity (vs 1.071 target). I checked the runnings and found that they were still coming out at 1.035, so I sparged a whole extra gallon, boiled it back down, and nailed my grav over a 90min boil.

Really excited about this one. I've been wanting to make it for a while.
Thanks, I'll have to monitor this more closely this time as my OSG was low last time due to too much sparge water - or as you mention not enough boil. I'll be working at this tomorrow. Did you measure your runnings at the end of the extra gallon?

Old 02-04-2013, 01:29 AM   #334
olz431
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I brewed this today, my first ag batch and ended up at 1.081.

Mmmmmmm BEER.
Primary 1: Citrarillo IPA
Primary 2: Big Baltic Porter
Primary 3: Full Nelson Pale Ale
Secondary 1/ Primary 4: Rochefort 9
Primary 5:
Bottled: Zombie Dust, Yoopers House Ale, DFH 90 clone, Two Hearted Ale, Dead Guy, Dundalk Irish Heavy

Old 02-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #335
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olz431 View Post
I brewed this today, my first ag batch and ended up at 1.081.
I surprised at the people who do this as their first. It seems like an ambitious 1st whole grain due to the amount of grain, but apparently it works out.

I found this brew a bit challenging. I fly sparge and it seemed like I was fly sparging for about 2 hours or more. I also boil while I'm sparging. I was determined to get a better OSG this time as last time I was in the 70's. I took SG readings of of the runnings and pre-boil kettle and got 1.024 and 1.076. I decided to sparge a bit more until runnings were 1.021. This brought down the pre-boil a bit to 1.072? Then I boiled 90 minutes more and got 1.090, so I was happy.

As my OSG was so low last time, I didn't have any problems with blow off. I ferment in a plastic bucket and this time the bucket was bulging and leaking at all possible places the morning after. I moved this to a cooler room in the house and put in a blow-off.

I also used my homegrown hops. 4 ounces of Cascade instead of the 3 oz. of Simcoe. Smelled great.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #336
olz431
Recipes 

Ill tell ya what, I was intimidated, but now that ive done it, i dont see why i would go back to an extract batch. There are so many resources, including this site that make it painlessly easy for a first timer.
I should say i mashed at 151 with 5 gallons and a quart, I got nowhere near that out and sparged with almost 3 gallons to get somewhere north of 6.5-7 gallons to boil. pre boil was 1.064 and i stopped colledcting sparge at 1.04ish. I could have and should have boiled another 10-15 minutes as i have slightly over 5 gallons. but all in all a great first all grain experience. thanks to the recipe and all the tips from experience on this forum.

Mmmmmmm BEER.
Primary 5:
Bottled: Zombie Dust, Yoopers House Ale, DFH 90 clone, Two Hearted Ale, Dead Guy, Dundalk Irish Heavy

Old 02-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #337
olz431
Recipes 

2 days in the fermenter with an ambient temp of 65 I woke up to the fermentation at around 80 with a double pitch of nottingham. So watch this one close.

Mmmmmmm BEER.
Primary 5:

Old 02-07-2013, 12:59 AM   #338
Brian4x4
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by olz431 View Post
2 days in the fermenter with an ambient temp of 65 I woke up to the fermentation at around 80 with a double pitch of nottingham. So watch this one close.
same thing happened to me last time I did this beer.
I didn't have my refrigerator plugged into my temp controller because my basement has been so cold so I have just been using the heater to keep the temp raised.
so I went to bed then next day checked it and noticed I even forgot to tape probe to side of my fermentor. well after I taped it on (insulated) and let the temp reading settle it was 77* the fermentor war warm feeling even.
I quicky lowered the ambient temp by opening the door to the fridge because it was 50* in my basement.
it helped it a lot but I fear damage was done at that point.
the beer tastes good drinking it now but it is too sweet.
it never fully fermented out.

did the temp raising too high kill a lot of the yeast?

Old 02-08-2013, 03:02 AM   #339
watchir
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Brian4x4,

Your yeast did not die from the temperatures you mentioned; ale yeast usually don't die unless temp's are over 100F+ or from very high alcohol levels 10+%.

A low FG (final gravity) was likely could possibly be caused by low final temperature.

When yeast get near the end of fermentation; that is when you want a higher temperature for ales if your goal is to maximize attenuation (lower - FG). A great practice is to start fermenting cool 65-68 when pitching and keep cool for atleast 3 days before allowing the temp to slowly rise by about 5-7degrees. (temperatures vary by yeast strain). The higher temp keep the final yeast that are in suspension active enough to complete their jobs!

Other causes for poor attenuation (high FG) could be:
-poor pitching rate (use more yeast and ensure they are healthy)..try making a 1-2L starter
-brand of Extracts used or mashing at high temps 157F+
-multiple other tricks used to ensure yeast health...nutrients, oxygenation, etc

Old 02-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #340
olz431
Recipes 

I drew a sample today and it is down to 1.011 I wonder if the high temp is to blame for this. It has a minute weird odor that just seems off, but again i know the yeast have more work to do. This batch is friggen hot. Hopefully the smell and most likely I know it will probably go byebye once I dry hop and give it another few weeks. This beer is either going to be epic, or its going to be epic.

Mmmmmmm BEER.
Primary 5:

Quick Reply