Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Dogfish Head 90 Minute Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #281
JMass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm looking forward to trying this out. I didn't read the fine print about efficiency though and ordered the full amount of grains. The Edmund Fitzgerald I brewed last weekend was supposed to be 1.060 @ 70% efficiency and I got a little over 1.070. I'm just hoping that this doesn't come out too strong. Would that be a problem?

I suppose that I could hold back some grain and use it in my next brew (Old Speckled Hen).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #282
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm still thinking ahead. I always dry hop in the keg. Usually with whole hops. This time I have pellets. Any problem with dry hopping with pellets in my keg? Has anyone done that with this beer?

Old 10-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #283
flyingfinbar
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Mine came out waaaay stronger than expected...a little over 10.5%... it'll get ya drunk, that's for sure.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #284
brew2enjoy
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMass View Post
I'm still thinking ahead. I always dry hop in the keg. Usually with whole hops. This time I have pellets. Any problem with dry hopping with pellets in my keg? Has anyone done that with this beer?
I dryhop in the keg with pellets all the time. Just put them in a mesh paint strainer bag and drop it in.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #285
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew2enjoy View Post
I dryhop in the keg with pellets all the time. Just put them in a mesh paint strainer bag and drop it in.
Thanks Brew2, that is the way I am comfortable doing it, so I'll probably keep with the routine.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #286
jaw94087
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Question about mash

I brewed the reciepe, and while the result tastes great, it's not matching up with the real thing. My result does not have the same malttyness of DFH90. I am wondering about the choice of mash temps. Perhaps a 153-154 might provide more body to offset the intense hoppiness. Any thoughts?

Jim

Old 10-12-2012, 12:30 AM   #287
brew2enjoy
Recipes 

You can try that. I agree that while the recipe is close it still seems to be missing something. Whether its an ingredient or just a process adjustment I'm not sure. Next time I visit my LHBS I'll ask the owner what he knows about it. He is good friends with Sam at Dogfish so maybe I can get some info out of him.

On a different note, I picked up a 4 pack of 90 last weekend since I haven't had it in a while. Didn't notice until i got home that the date on the pack was May. Totally different beer. Really sweet and the hops were faded. Definitely better fresh!

Old 10-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #288
jaw94087
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for your feedback. It would be interesting to hear of whatever you learn. As I think about it, my FG was 1.010, lower than the 1.017 FG estimated in the recipe. That could explain the difference malt character of my outcome. While the brew is very enjoyable, it does not have the awesome balance between sweet maltiness and hops. It's just another hoppy IIPA, which is not an entirely bad thing. I cannot determine if the variation is a process error on my part, or a result of the 149 deg. mash. I would be interested in the FG of others that were more successful with the outcome. In any case, I ordered a bunch more Thomas Fawcett Amber Malt and going to try and get this clone nailed.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:14 AM   #289
brew2enjoy
Recipes 

Your low mash is definitely why the FG was low. My last batch finished at 1.018 and was fantastic, but missing that "something" that 90 minute has. I also used ringwood yeast, which I have heard is very similar (if not the same) to their house yeast. I tried to ask one of the brewers about it last time I was at the brewery and he kinda changed the subject lol.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #290
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this Saturday and like some others had a low OSG of 1.072. One problem was excess sparge. I'm not sure if this accounted for the whole problem. I was about 15% low, but I don't think I was that much over in my sparge. Looking at recent posts, I wish I had used the ringwood yeast and the Maris Otter. Perhaps next time if I brew this again. I used the S-04 from a previous Edmund Fitzgerald and the yeast seemed sort of clay like. Should I have thinned it out?

Quick Reply