Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Dogfish Head 90 Minute Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #271
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

Brew day went pretty good. I forgot to update the Mash tun/grain temp in beersmith so my strike temp was too hot. Nothing a little cold water couldn't fix. Held steady at 151 for an hour. The only thing I wish I did was strain all the hops/break out while transferring to the fermenter. I seriously have a 4" layer of trub at the bottom of my carboy. Checked it this morning and the Ringwood has already started chugging away and the blow-off tube was full of foam. I scaled the recipe up slightly to 5.75 gal to compensate for trub loss.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #272
Homebrew4Scott
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I brewed this a few weeks back, it was my first all grain brew. It turned out fantastic!

I was wondering the amounts of water that other folks used for this recipe?

I did experience my first blow out....once that was under control it was business as usual.

I highly recommend this recipe, I will definitely be brewing this again.

Bottled: Creme Brûlée Milk Stout
Kegged: Merkin Mania Maple Brown Ale
DFH 90 IPA Clone

Old 08-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #273
brew2enjoy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew4Scott View Post
I was wondering the amounts of water that other folks used for this recipe?
With my setup, I use 9 1/2 gallons for this recipe.

I took a gravity reading today (1 week). It appears to be finished at 1.017, a little lower then last time I made this batch . The combination of Ringwood yeast (huge 4 liter starter), 1.25lb amber malt and Marris Otter is a winner IMO. The malt nose is dead on, taste seems to be there although at only 1 week it's hard to tell for sure.

I'm giving the yeasties a few more days to clean up their mess and it's getting cold crashed. The Ringwood yeast really chewed through this one quickly but I have to say it was the strangest looking fermentation I have seen.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #274
LateraLex
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I just racked my first batch to secondary this weekend, it tasted pretty good. Looks like my gravity was at about 1.020, . I am very glad I used a blow-off tube, as I had a lot of krausen and the hops were splattered all over the walls inside the fermenter. I shouldn't have forgotten fermcap on this one!

Old 08-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #275
hopcop
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
The combination of Ringwood yeast (huge 4 liter starter), 1.25lb amber malt and Marris Otter is a winner IMO. The malt nose is dead on, taste seems to be there although at only 1 week it's hard to tell for sure.

I'm giving the yeasties a few more days to clean up their mess and it's getting cold crashed. The Ringwood yeast really chewed through this one quickly but I have to say it was the strangest looking fermentation I have seen.
I couldn't agree more. I also used the ringwood yeast. Weird fermentation and rapid. I dragged on bottling this beast till this past Sunday. My FG: 1.017. That puts me at 9.69%. That's a little higher than expected. The sample I tasted while bottling is pretty darn close to the original. Color, aroma and aftertaste is awesome. I have to admit, before the dry hopping I was skeptical of it being anywheres close to the clone. Now I'm fairly confident that it's a strong contender. I used MO & 1.25# of TF Amber. I will post a pic of the brew with a side by side view of the real DFH 90.

Cheers.

Primary: too damn hot
Bottled: 120min Clone, Winter Bock, 90min clone.
Yeast Bank: Generation 5 1056, Generation 2 1028, Bottle Harvested Ommegang Abbey Ale.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #276
brew2enjoy
Recipes 

Pulled the first sample from the keg last night and its great! Went from grain to glass in a month with this one and it turned out awesome. I added some gelatin to the keg so I'll give it a few days before I try it again.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #277
brew2enjoy
Recipes 

Cheers!

Old 09-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #278
DoubleDuse
Recipes 

So I finished up my first all grain this weekend and man that was alot of work, but fun. The only thing is that the recipe says 16.5lbs pils and 1.5 amber. That is a lot!!!! I couldn't close the top of my cooler tun without squeezing out some of my steeping water. Trial and error I guess..... I also I had to create a makeshift blowoff tube yesterday. Racking cane fits nicely in my airlock

image-1651599918.jpg

image-4228056636.jpg

Old 10-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #279
DoubleDuse
Recipes 

So on another recipe I found online it said to cool to 34 degrees before bottling. So should i bottle it and let it carb in the fridge the whole time? It's been in the fridge for two days but I don't want it to screw up the flavor, it was dang tasty coming out of the secondary.Cheers

Old 10-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #280
Silentnoiz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDuse View Post
So on another recipe I found online it said to cool to 34 degrees before bottling. So should i bottle it and let it carb in the fridge the whole time? It's been in the fridge for two days but I don't want it to screw up the flavor, it was dang tasty coming out of the secondary.Cheers
I think that is just a cold crash to get stuff to drop out of suspension and clear up the beer a bit. I cold crash, and then if bottle conditioning, I rack to another vessel, add priming sugar, bottle, cap, and store at room temp for a few weeks before putting it in the refrigerator to chill to serving temp.

Quick Reply