Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Dogfish Head 90 Minute Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #11
scottland
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Yup =), regular 'ol spring water would be just fine. Don't worry about water chemistry until the rest of your process is nailed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #12
donjonson
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

What do hog gain by messing with the water chemistry? Also how do you know what sort of water profile is good?

Old 10-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #13
scottland
Recipes 

If your water profile is good, you don't gain anything by messing with water chemistry. If your water profile sucks (which mine does), you have quite a bit to gain. My water is extremely hard, and full of chlorine, so I start with reverse osmosis water. RO water is too soft for most styles other than pilsners, so I need to add minerals back.

Check out the brew science forum here on HBT, there's lots of good info.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #14
Shuznuts
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I can't wait to try this recipe. I'm a huge fan of DFH 90 min (and a huge hop head). I agree with scottland about the water chemistry. My water is really soft, so I tend to add 2 tsp gypsum and 1 tsp epsom more as a yeast nutrient (they need the Ca and Mg) after the mash is done. My pH usually isn't a problem. You can get your water profile reports off your county website. Once my spiced christmas ale is out of my primary, I'll get this one ready. Thanks Scottland!

Old 10-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #15
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuznuts View Post
I can't wait to try this recipe. I'm a huge fan of DFH 90 min (and a huge hop head). I agree with scottland about the water chemistry. My water is really soft, so I tend to add 2 tsp gypsum and 1 tsp epsom more as a yeast nutrient (they need the Ca and Mg) after the mash is done. My pH usually isn't a problem. You can get your water profile reports off your county website. Once my spiced christmas ale is out of my primary, I'll get this one ready. Thanks Scottland!
I have my own well so I would have to have someone come out and test my water. I have seen those home test kits. Not sure how accurate they are.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #16
scottland
Recipes 

There is a company that does water sample analysis for like $20 or so. You fill up two test tubes and ship it off, and they send you the results. Ward Labs.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/how...s-test-129581/

That link should have all the info you need.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:21 PM   #17
Shuznuts
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Anyone have any experience with open fermentation?

I had my second fermenter blow up today. My 1st was with a belgian triple in a 5 gal carboy with no blow off hose. For my DFH clone I decided on my good old faithful 6 gal ale pail and double bubble air lock. I come home today from work and check on my brew (2 days into fermentation) and I don't hear the airlock going. I open the door and the ale pale lid is on the floor. The airlock completely gummed up and 2 feet away, kreusen everywhere. It must have been off for a while because cleaning everything up took forever because it had dried on pretty good. Anyway, I cleaned and sanitized the lid, cleaned and sanitized the lock, replaced everything. That lock is bubbling like crazy still. Jimmy cricket! That S-04 is no joke!

Anyway, I hope The batch will turn out ok. Luckily I didnt lose too much brew. I figure it was like open fermenting for a bit, so that's why I posed the question at the beginning. I just figure I'll RDWHAHB.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #18
Svenhook
Recipes 

Is it possible to get an extract or partial conversion for this? Love 90-minute but not into All-grain yet. If not, I'll stick with the 60 minute. Thanks!

Old 11-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #19
scottland
Recipes 

Sure: Partial mash is going to be the way to go, you're going to want that character from the Amber malt. Subbing it for crystal won't give the same effect.

1lb 2-row (crushed)
1lb Amber (crushed)
-Steep(mash) those in a grain bag in 1gal of water between 152-155* for 30-45min. Discard grains.
-Add enough water to get you to the amount you normally use pre-boil.
-Add 9.5lbs Light DME or 12lbs Extra Light LME
-Follow the recipe from there, add your top off water to get to 5.5 in the fermenter

-Personally I would also sub out some of the DME or LME for some cane or corn sugar to make sure it attenuates enough. Use 12oz of cane or corn sugar, and 12oz less LME or DME.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #20
Svenhook
Recipes 

Thanks a bunch! Going to be my next batch!

Quick Reply