Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2008, 02:18 AM   #71
discgolfin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Bottled this today FG 1.016..very nice fruity aroma and taste

Nice recipe

Jay

Primary: DFH 60 IPA
Secondaty: Blond Ale, Apfelwine, Crandaddy mead
Bottle: Blue moon clone,Kolsch, Eds House Ale, Barley wine, Stone IPA, Oatmeal stout, Hefe,

Drinking: 60 minute IPA, Honkers Ale, Wheat, cherry wheat, Appfelwine,

On Deck: Imperial Stout,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2008, 05:00 PM   #72
discgolfin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I must say kudos on the recipe. I have never dry hopped with Amarillo and Simcoe combo and this thing smells like heaven..Very fruity and citricy..great!! I tasted fantastic at bottling..I am very excited about this and will run it into my regulcar IPA and pale ale rotation. I love Eds Stone IPA clone and plan on attempting Dudes pale ale as well. I love IPA and have done too many cream, blond, and wit beers for the family and friends and they either have to wait or learn to like some hops as I do.LOL

Nice recipe

Jay

Bottle: Blue moon clone,Kolsch, Eds House Ale, Barley wine, Stone IPA, Oatmeal stout, Hefe,

Old 01-20-2008, 02:31 PM   #73
SW Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made this a few months ago, and just cracked some of the bottles. I was worried, until reading here, that I had messed something up because it has a noticeable citrisy taste, almost like grapefruit. I had never had one of these before, but apparently that is what it is supposed to taste like? I am pretty pleased with it overall, and will likely make it again.

Thanks Yooper!

Secondary2:Red Hawk Ale (Extract)
Secondary3:Air
Bottled:Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (PM) Batch Two
Bottled:Northern Brewer IIPA
Bottled:
On Deck:Nothing, my wife will kill me!

Old 01-29-2008, 03:16 AM   #74
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Fantastic Yooper... by far the best beer that I have made to date. Thank you for sharing!

Prost!

Old 01-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #75
BNVince
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've had this in primary for 8 days now and it's still bubbling strong at 2-3 per minute. I'm not sure why fermentation is taking so long. I used Safale US-05 instead of pacman.

Last edited by BNVince; 01-29-2008 at 08:26 PM.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #76
MULE
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Good reviews. This will be my next batch for sure. Thanks !

Old 02-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #77
discgolfin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

A little update for those who are wanting to make this. I did a mash at 154..a bit higher and ended with a fg of 1.016 also a bit higher. I was going for a more malty attempt as per yoopers advice. I did a side by side and IMO it is a bit too sweet. I would shoot for 152 or 153 next time and try to dry out just a bit more. As for flavor and aroma this recipe is better..and 2 other tasters would agree. It has much more flavor and hop aroma. I did unfourtunatly even with irish moss have a bit of haze but not bad. I will brew this again and try it hit 152 and see how I like that.

Jay

Old 02-05-2008, 03:17 PM   #78
Bayes2112
Recipes 

Default Crystal or Marris Otter?

Hey all,

I'm planning to brew the extract version described in posts #27 and #29 this weekend. It'll be just the second batch of my "post-Mr. Beer" era.

I'm sorry if I'm posting a question with an obvious answer, but here it goes anyway.

YooperBrew included 1# of Crystal 40L in the extract conversion instead of the Marris Otter. But, I'm not sure if that was just in response to the poster that said their LHBS didn't carry Marris Otter. So, if my LHBS carries both, should I stick with the Marris Otter malt in the original recipe, or do I need to use the Crystal 40L for color, since I'm using a DME instead of full grain?

Thanks! I love the DFH 60, and I can't wait to try and duplicate it.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:27 PM   #79
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayes2112
Hey all,

I'm planning to brew the extract version described in posts #27 and #29 this weekend. It'll be just the second batch of my "post-Mr. Beer" era.

I'm sorry if I'm posting a question with an obvious answer, but here it goes anyway.

YooperBrew included 1# of Crystal 40L in the extract conversion instead of the Marris Otter. But, I'm not sure if that was just in response to the poster that said their LHBS didn't carry Marris Otter. So, if my LHBS carries both, should I stick with the Marris Otter malt in the original recipe, or do I need to use the Crystal 40L for color, since I'm using a DME instead of full grain?

Thanks! I love the DFH 60, and I can't wait to try and duplicate it.
Well, that's a good question! Let me think about it and let you know. You shouldn't need it for color since the DME will darken a little, but I think you may want it for some sweetness. When I made this, I mashed high to have some residual sweetness/body. Another poster thought that made it too sweet.

I guess my thinking is that the hops are so predominant, that the MO would get lost in there with the hops and DME, so the crystal might be a good choice for some more "backbone" that you might not get without it. I'm not sure if anyone who used crystal ever posted back on what they thought of it, though.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:08 PM   #80
discgolfin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

"I mashed high to have some residual sweetness/body. Another poster thought that made it too sweet. "

What was your mash and FG?
I was about 154 to 155 and fg of 1.016.
I think 153 should give me a nice balance.

Anyone else have a bit of chill haze? I think maybe a few more weeks at a cooler temp will clear this problem a bit.

Jay

Quick Reply