Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2010, 06:04 PM   #761
elproducto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This was my first "hoppy" IPA that I dry hopped. Originally it was absolutely amazing, better than the original. Bottled it Nov. 11, and am almost done the whole batch. Really interesting how quickly the hop aroma and flavor dissapears. It is a TOTALLY different beer now, than it was 2 weeks in the bottle. I'd have to say the sweet spot was about 1 month in the bottle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2010, 11:14 PM   #762
Keninishna
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Its interesting, my friend was telling me originally india pale ale was so hoppy in the first place because it was beer being shipped to india. I'm guessing this was to preserve the beer or maybe it was the fact that the hops faded over time. According to wikipedia though some IPAs are aged over a year before shipping.

Last edited by Keninishna; 12-31-2010 at 11:25 PM.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:30 AM   #763
dummkauf
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keninishna View Post
Its interesting, my friend was telling me originally india pale ale was so hoppy in the first place because it was beer being shipped to india. I'm guessing this was to preserve the beer or maybe it was the fact that the hops faded over time. According to wikipedia though some IPAs are aged over a year before shipping.
That's correct, I think the thing with IPA's is that people discovered them before they were shipped to India and discovered that they really liked the super hoppy pale ale. I would imagine that when IPA were originally being brewed to ship to the troops in India, that by the time they arrived, the hop aromas had pretty much faded.

And aging an IPA is a matter of personal taste. Personally I prefer my IPA's as young as possible, however there are those who like the hop aromas to fade before they drink them and claim you can't get the same beer by just brewing a less hoppy pale ale. The aging of IPA's, or even beer in general, seems to be a topic with lots of varying opinions, but if you like your beer aged or fresh I say just drink it how you like.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:11 AM   #764
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts

Bottled today. Gravity finished right at 1.020. Smells and tasted amazing. I bottled some into a Coors light home draft setup. Hopefully all goes well, I can't wait to try this beer carbed!

Old 01-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #765
Primo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I like the looks of it, I have been ichin to make an IPA since I got my kit 2 weeks ago . . . haha. No really I have but I have been scared to do one I don't have the gear to do an all grain so when I saw your extract version I got all gitty. Have you done your extract version of this or did you make the recipe just for me???

Old 01-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #766
brew2enjoy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
I like the looks of it, I have been ichin to make an IPA since I got my kit 2 weeks ago . . . haha. No really I have but I have been scared to do one I don't have the gear to do an all grain so when I saw your extract version I got all gitty. Have you done your extract version of this or did you make the recipe just for me???
I did the extract version but I just bottled it on Sunday. I will say that it tasted really good warm & flat though

Old 01-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #767
Primo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew2enjoy View Post
I did the extract version but I just bottled it on Sunday. I will say that it tasted really good warm & flat though
Awesome! do you mind sharing some of your info? What were your gravity readings? Did you follow it to the letter? ect. Any surprises?

Old 01-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #768
brew2enjoy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Awesome! do you mind sharing some of your info? What were your gravity readings? Did you follow it to the letter? ect. Any surprises?
I followed the recipe from page 1 for the most part. I did 9.9 lbs of extra-light LME. It came in 3 3.3lb cans, so I added 2 cans at the beginning of the boil and the last can at flameout. I used pacman yeast with a 1 liter starter (made the starter about 5 days in advance, threw in the fridge a few days before brewing).

Did 2 weeks primary
1 week secondary (dry hopped during this time)

OG was 1.071,
FG is 1.020

I think I am going to order the ingredients again and just brew this exactly the same. I haven't even had a carbed/conditioned sample yet but just just tasting the hydrometer sample was enough for me to know that this is a great beer!
Primo Likes This 
Old 01-05-2011, 05:28 AM   #769
Keninishna
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I gave my brother a sample of this beer 1 day after dry hopping. He drank the sample and wanted to drink more even though the beer had not carbed lol.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #770
mlopezaz
Recipes 

This was my first AG batch last night, and my third overall so I'm really hoping I didn't jack this one up.

The temp on my mash cooler just seemed to be sticking around 163, and once the dial thermometer finally unstuck it jumped down to 155 with the lid open. It had to be sitting at 163 for over 20 min. It looked a little low on volume after the mash out, but I figured I'd roll with it anyways. Once it was in the primary I took a measurement of 1.062, but it was a about a gallon low so I added a gal to bring it to 5. Right while the wife was re-hydrating the Safl-05, the cup spilled right before time to pitch and it was well past the closing time of the HBS. We quickly put the lid on the primary, Airlocked it, and put a 1056 in this morning. The OG reading this morning looked to be about 1.052 before we pitched.

Talk about a calamity of errors. Now I'm just crossing my fingers, and hoping it'll work out.

Time to work on my mashing skills I guess.

Quick Reply