Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #701
dummkauf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew2enjoy View Post
I am hoping to get some feedback from those of you who did the extract version of this recipe. How did it turn out? How do you convert the AG recipe to extract?
Turned out fantastic!!!

You could refer to the first page of this thread for both the AG and Extract versions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #702
DeNomad
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm hoping for a little advice on this recipe. I just transferred my DFH to secondary after 36 days in the primary and the FG is 1.028! It smells awesome, tastes good - but a tad sweet. Not as dry as I was expecting. I am also concerned about bottle carbing as it looks like the yeast have stalled out.

So details:
OG: 1.077
FG: 1.028
Primary: 36 days total. About 3 weeks in a swamp cooler at 60-65 F. Then sat the rest of the time at room temperature.
Yeast: Pacman cultured a bottle from Rogue Chocolate stout. I had about 0.75 to 1 liter starter that was at high krausen when I pitched.

Also, I noticed I have an extra layer in my trub. I normally have yeast on top of hop sludge. This time I have something browny (perhaps krausen?) on top of yeast on top of hop sludge. Anyone have any ideas as to what that could be, I have pictures if that will help.

I guess the bottle yeast wasn't feeling up to attenuating fully on such a big beer. So I was going to dry hop today now I'm unsure. Would you guys recommend pitch in some S-05 to dry it out and ensure I have some active yeast for bottle carbing?

Also the airlock seems to be bubbling again after the transfer to secondary. Perhaps this fermentation is still going?

Primary: Yooper_Brew's Dead Guy Clone, BierMuncher's Black Pearl Porter
Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale, Pliney the Elder Clone

Old 11-14-2010, 10:40 PM   #703
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3856 Times on 2817 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeNomad View Post
I'm hoping for a little advice on this recipe. I just transferred my DFH to secondary after 36 days in the primary and the FG is 1.028! It smells awesome, tastes good - but a tad sweet. Not as dry as I was expecting. I am also concerned about bottle carbing as it looks like the yeast have stalled out.

So details:
OG: 1.077
FG: 1.028
Primary: 36 days total. About 3 weeks in a swamp cooler at 60-65 F. Then sat the rest of the time at room temperature.
Yeast: Pacman cultured a bottle from Rogue Chocolate stout. I had about 0.75 to 1 liter starter that was at high krausen when I pitched.

Also, I noticed I have an extra layer in my trub. I normally have yeast on top of hop sludge. This time I have something browny (perhaps krausen?) on top of yeast on top of hop sludge. Anyone have any ideas as to what that could be, I have pictures if that will help.

I guess the bottle yeast wasn't feeling up to attenuating fully on such a big beer. So I was going to dry hop today now I'm unsure. Would you guys recommend pitch in some S-05 to dry it out and ensure I have some active yeast for bottle carbing?

Also the airlock seems to be bubbling again after the transfer to secondary. Perhaps this fermentation is still going?

I wouldn't be satisfied with an OG of 1.028. That's way too high. Now that it's going again, check the SG in two days. If it's the same, you'll need to do something about it. If it's dropping, hopefully it'll drop quite a bit.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:58 PM   #704
DeNomad
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoop View Post
I wouldn't be satisfied with an OG of 1.028. That's way too high. Now that it's going again, check the SG in two days. If it's the same, you'll need to do something about it. If it's dropping, hopefully it'll drop quite a bit.
Thanks Yoop. If there is no change in a few days do you figure a single pack of S-05 would be good enough to take it down? Or should I make a starter with something to tolerate the alcohol levels? Not sure I would trust a starter from the same pacman yeast I cultured.

Primary: Yooper_Brew's Dead Guy Clone, BierMuncher's Black Pearl Porter
Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale, Pliney the Elder Clone

Old 11-14-2010, 11:08 PM   #705
snowveil
that guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I think you'd be fine with some s05. it's well within the alcohol levels of the yeast. s05 took mine down to 1013 IIRC.

I cracked open a bottle really early (1 week in) just to see how the flavors are developing. The nelson sauvin I dry hopped with seems to fit really well with the simcoe/amarillo! Good stuff!

Old 11-15-2010, 08:36 PM   #706
Old_E
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok... I just finished reading all 71 pages. My brain is numb, but I have a decent idea what is going on.

This will be my first attempt at AG, so please bear with me. I saw very few mash schedules througout the thread (may have missed some):
70 min @ 168;
60 min @ 150; and
60 min (I guess) @ 154

what is the general consensus for most folks? What did you do?

Thanks for the help!

Old 11-16-2010, 01:12 AM   #707
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3856 Times on 2817 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldE View Post
Ok... I just finished reading all 71 pages. My brain is numb, but I have a decent idea what is going on.

This will be my first attempt at AG, so please bear with me. I saw very few mash schedules througout the thread (may have missed some):
70 min @ 168;
60 min @ 150; and
60 min (I guess) @ 154

what is the general consensus for most folks? What did you do?

Thanks for the help!
You don't want to mash this beer above 154.

You don't ever want to mash above 160, ever, since higher temperatures denature the enzymes you need to convert the malt. But for this beer, a mash temperature of 152-154 would be fine. An hour will be long enough for conversion.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:54 AM   #708
Old_E
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoop View Post
You don't want to mash this beer above 154.

You don't ever want to mash above 160, ever, since higher temperatures denature the enzymes you need to convert the malt. But for this beer, a mash temperature of 152-154 would be fine. An hour will be long enough for conversion.
Excellent. Thank you. I can't promise there won't be more basic questions.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:52 AM   #709
waldoar15
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I've brewed a few batches of this. I tend to mash it a little on the low side and go 75 minutes. To me, DFH 60 tastes a little on the dry side and I like it that way.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #710
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

Is there a vendor anyone would recommend for getting ALL the ingredients required to make this recipe? My LHBS is about an hour from me so I will probably just order everything if I can find a place that has everything

Quick Reply