Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #601
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPAAAA View Post
If you are making a 10 gallon batch would it be correct to assume to just double the ingredient amount that is used for the 5 gallon batch?
Yes, that's what I've done. The hops utilization isn't linear, so it changes a bit, but not really a big enough difference to worry about in my opinion.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #602
IPAAAA
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Yes, that's what I've done. The hops utilization isn't linear, so it changes a bit, but not really a big enough difference to worry about in my opinion.
Gotcha. I am just wondering for future boils if I get to that point. Definitely starting with a 5 gallon boil on this first attempt. How should I go about determining my boil size? Obviously I want to end up as close to 5 gallons when finished but how much should I expect to burn off during the process?

Old 06-08-2010, 10:25 PM   #603
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Gotcha. I am just wondering for future boils if I get to that point. Definitely starting with a 5 gallon boil on this first attempt. How should I go about determining my boil size? Obviously I want to end up as close to 5 gallons when finished but how much should I expect to burn off during the process?
It varies greatly, depending on your burner, the humidity where you live, etc, but most people find they boil off about a gallon or so an hour.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #604
IPAAAA
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Hmm...well I live in ca real close to the beach. Any formula I can use to figure out how much I should start with in my boil or can I just add water to it after it's done so I can make up the difference?

Old 06-09-2010, 03:50 PM   #605
jarod7736
Recipes 

I have this sitting on tap in my keezer. When I first tried it, about a week after putting it in, it had a lot of hop aroma and was awesome. Last night (about 3 weeks later) I'm noticing much less aroma, and more of a bitey alcohol taste to it. Do I need to pull this out of the keezer & let it age a bit more? It went straight from the fermenter, into the keg, into the keezer to chill around 40F

Old 06-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #606
zymurgy101
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It's been fifteen days in the keg (total) and in the keezer for a week with twelve pounds of CO2 applied. Just tried a half pint and oh my! It is very tasty and has such great aroma and hoppy character. Time to get a six pack of the real stuff and do a blindfold test next week! Thanks Yooper!

Last edited by zymurgy101; 06-10-2010 at 01:39 AM. Reason: total time

Old 06-10-2010, 12:39 AM   #607
nootay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

just wanted to say thanks a bunch for this recipe! i have several friends that love IPAs and have had quite a few in their time. They feel this is one of the top IPAs they have had! Thanks again!

On deck: pale ale
CO2 Carbonation chart
Mash Calculator
Pitching Calculator
Cloverhill Brewery

Old 06-10-2010, 01:03 AM   #608
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Hmm...well I live in ca real close to the beach. Any formula I can use to figure out how much I should start with in my boil or can I just add water to it after it's done so I can make up the difference?
Sure. If you don't know for sure how much you'll boil off, you can always top up later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarod7736 View Post
I have this sitting on tap in my keezer. When I first tried it, about a week after putting it in, it had a lot of hop aroma and was awesome. Last night (about 3 weeks later) I'm noticing much less aroma, and more of a bitey alcohol taste to it. Do I need to pull this out of the keezer & let it age a bit more? It went straight from the fermenter, into the keg, into the keezer to chill around 40F
I don't age mine much, as the hops aroma and flavor fade with age. You can add some more dryhops, if you want. (Put them in a hops sock or tea ball first, so you don't clog up your diptube!)

Old 06-10-2010, 03:37 AM   #609
Beau815
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just asked that question about 5 pages back and yooper gave me the AG 10 gal batch recipe. If your doing extract idk.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #610
MilehighBrew
Recipes 

Just transfered this to secondary Gravity was 1.024 and smelled and tasted great, still very young and strong, I had put an oz of Simcoe into the fermenter last week and on transfer I put an oz of Summits in. I still have an oz of Simcoe that I think I will add in a week. I want to get this on tap but I think it will be weeks away. Can't wait. But now the fermenter is open which means onto the next recipe, I think it will be the Jalapeno Cream Ale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighBrew View Post
I just did the extract version last night, I used 14# of PLME and it will have 8oz of hops in total when done. I'm throwing in some summit into secondary when I get there. OG came out at 1.082, glad I had a 2l starter going. I can't wait for this one to be done it smelled awesome as it went into primary.

Quick Reply