Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2009, 12:39 AM   #301
2bluewagons
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Finally got a first taste of a batch of this I brewed on 3/1. Turned out a bit sweet, but I was expecting that as it had a FG of 1.022 (OG 1.077). Hop-wise it's damn delicious but it's got an almost syrupy mouthfeel. Still happy with it, but it wants to be better, so I'd like to try it again.

Any ideas as to which of the below may have had the biggest impact on sweetness:

Used 1 lb of Crystal 60 instead of 40
underpitched yeast (confirmed at Mr Malty), two activated Wyeast (Pacman) packs, no starter
Fermentation started out on the warm side at 72F for 2 days, then I over-compensated taking it down to 65, then it fell to 60-63 for a week, then I raised it up in the end trying to get it to finish, but it was just done.

Thanks for any help. I think I'll go with less crystal next time, but also planning for sure to do a starter and monitor temps better.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2009, 12:48 AM   #302
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bluewagons View Post
Finally got a first taste of a batch of this I brewed on 3/1. Turned out a bit sweet, but I was expecting that as it had a FG of 1.022 (OG 1.077). Hop-wise it's damn delicious but it's got an almost syrupy mouthfeel. Still happy with it, but it wants to be better, so I'd like to try it again.

Any ideas as to which of the below may have had the biggest impact on sweetness:

Used 1 lb of Crystal 60 instead of 40
underpitched yeast (confirmed at Mr Malty), two activated Wyeast (Pacman) packs, no starter
Fermentation started out on the warm side at 72F for 2 days, then I over-compensated taking it down to 65, then it fell to 60-63 for a week, then I raised it up in the end trying to get it to finish, but it was just done.

Thanks for any help. I think I'll go with less crystal next time, but also planning for sure to do a starter and monitor temps better.
Was this an extract batch? It seems like it is, if you used crystal. I'm thinking that the main problem might be older extract, especially if it's liquid, and the underpitched yeast. You could try rehydrating some dry yeast like s-05, and then see if you can bring it down a bit. You've already got 7% ABV, but only 69% attenuation. If you're brewing a different beer, you may want to consider racking this beer to the yeast cake and see if you can coax out about 6 more gravity points. That would make the beer less sweet.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:45 PM   #303
2bluewagons
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, sorry left a few things out there, thanks for trying to sort out my post.

It was an extract batch, and I thought the LME at my shop gets pretty good turnaround, but maybe not...

Also forgot to mention I already bottled it after I got an apparently bad hydro reading of 1.019 and moved it to secondary to dry-hop. Then at bottling it was 1.022, so I dunno...

So this one is what it is, and it's not bad. But I'd like to try this recipe again soon, so maybe I'll look at DME next time.

Thanks for the recipe and the help, Yooper!

Old 04-19-2009, 09:50 PM   #304
BioBeing
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Finally got mine brewed - been waiting on this for a while. It was my 3rd all grain. Pre boil gravity was a bit low, and I realized I used about a gallon too much sparge water. So I ended up boiling for about 70 mins at a higher flame. I was aiming for 5.5 gal in the fermentor, and ended up with closer to 5.75. SG was 1.067 vs the predicted 1.070, so I was quite happy in the end.

Can't wait to drink it now!

Old 04-19-2009, 11:15 PM   #305
kgs
Recipes 

I am planning to do this as a partial-mash. For 5 gallons, I calculated the following:

2-row: 7 lbs
Caramel or crystal malt: 0.375 lbs
LME: 4.5 lbs

Does that make sense? I realize the hops need a "bump" for a PM or extract batch.

--------
K.G. Schneider

Old 04-19-2009, 11:31 PM   #307
kgs
Recipes 

Thanks, YooperBrew. I will do this in my mini-mash-tun (built from a 2-gallon cooler) which has pretty good efficiency.

Hoping to increase the number of successful 60-Minute IPA clones by women by +1 next weekend!

--------
K.G. Schneider

Old 04-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #308
BeerMeChasay
Recipes 

Yooper i just wanted to say wow! This recipe is delicious I tried a few days ago at 3 weeks in the bottle and it was amazing. Aroma is everything I could want in an IPA and the taste has really developed! Hoping by week 4 week it will be perfect so I can get to drinking. By about what time do you think it hits its peak? Don't want to start drinking too early

Andy Bernard: Will you beer me that disc?

Planning: Weisse or Flavored Wheat
Fermenting: Modified Mack and Jacks Clone Recipe
Bottled: Lacee's Golden Pale Ale, Yooper's DFH 60 Min IPA

Old 04-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #309
nyer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I just made this AG recipe again and I can't figure out what went wrong. My OG was 1.066 and and my FG was 1.012, I also hit all my temps. I did 10 days in primary and 7 in secondary. I then kegged and put in the dryhops, I'm planning to let it sit a few weeks in the keg. I poured a small sample to see what it tastes like and the color is extremely light. It looks almost like a coors light. What could have happened? Would my lower OG cause this? My other attempts at this came out darker.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #310
BobOscarBob
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm new to AG - would CaraAmber be a suitable replacement for the Thomas Fawcett Amber? (The store didn't have any of the latter - CaraAmber was all I found...) Or should I just revert back to the Maris Otter?

Really looking forward to brewing this next weekend - I was just introduced to DFH about 3 weeks ago - all I could say was WOW!

Bob

Quick Reply