Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2008, 03:33 PM   #211
mpetey3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Another stupid question...Do I start with the 6.5 gallons or add as I go to make up for evaporation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2008, 04:21 PM   #212
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4200 Times on 3058 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpetey3 View Post
Another stupid question...Do I start with the 6.5 gallons or add as I go to make up for evaporation?
I have a low boil-off rate, so I start with 6.25 gallons. You can do either, though. If you're not sure of your boil off rate, you could start with 6 gallons, and add more to top up when the boil is finished. I wouldn't add water during the boil- because you want to keep the wort boiling the whole time.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #213
mpetey3
Recipes 

One last question. Whats the best way to airate 5 gallons.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:44 PM   #214
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
One last question. Whats the best way to airate 5 gallons.
Well, there is always the splashing into the fermenter method. I've used an aquarium aerator with a diffusion stone, and done the stir like a madwoman method, too. I like the aquarium aerator better!

Do you have a chiller, or a way to cool the wort fast? That's important, too. This beer is fairly light colored, and you'd want to make sure you can have a good cold break.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:08 PM   #215
mpetey3
Recipes 

I was going to put the pot in a cooler full of ice water. Is that sufficient? I have an aquarium aerator but would have to pick up a clean tube and stone. How long do you let the aerator run before pitching the yeast should I decide to use that method?

Old 11-05-2008, 06:47 PM   #216
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I was going to put the pot in a cooler full of ice water. Is that sufficient? I have an aquarium aerator but would have to pick up a clean tube and stone. How long do you let the aerator run before pitching the yeast should I decide to use that method?
I don't know how quickly you could cool 5 gallons of boiling wort in a cooler of ice water. That might be more of an issue than anything.

I'd run the aerator 20-30 minutes, until the top is foamy.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:46 PM   #217
mpetey3
Recipes 

I made a mistake in the hop schedule. I added the warrior throughout the entire boil not just first half. How bad did I mess up the beer?

Old 11-09-2008, 11:54 PM   #218
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I made a mistake in the hop schedule. I added the warrior throughout the entire boil not just first half. How bad did I mess up the beer?
It would be fine- maybe just a little less bitter. Most of the bittering comes from the early additions of the warrior hops.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:42 PM   #219
Rhoman
Recipes 

This recipe sounds great and luckily my LHBS stocks Amarillo and Simcoe, so I'm driving out there today to pick up the ingredients. One question though - someone brought up adding DME later in the boil to avoid carmelization and overly dark colors. Will this affect the hop utilization too much and create hop flavors I don't want? I'm a little more concerned about this than other brews because of the emphasis on hop flavor here.

Thanks!

Old 11-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #220
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoman View Post
This recipe sounds great and luckily my LHBS stocks Amarillo and Simcoe, so I'm driving out there today to pick up the ingredients. One question though - someone brought up adding DME later in the boil to avoid carmelization and overly dark colors. Will this affect the hop utilization too much and create hop flavors I don't want? I'm a little more concerned about this than other brews because of the emphasis on hop flavor here.

Thanks!
That's a good question- I've never done it extract, so I don't know what the effects would be. It may be quite a bit more bitter, without adjusting the hops. Let me take a look at the recipe, and run the numbers and see if it changes it a lot.

Edit- it looks like if you add most of the extract late, the IBUs would boost nearly 30%. The later hops, the simcoe and amarillo, I wouldn't adjust- those are fine, because most of them go in so late. I'd probably reduce the bittering hops (warrior) to 1/3 of an ounce for late extract addition.

Quick Reply