Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #2081
HopinJim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Brewing this up tomorrow. Looked at the "sessionable" aspect, and dropped the base to 11 lbs, but I could only get Crisp Amber and I went with pale ale base instead of regular pale 2-row. Same hop schedule, get to try out my newly-built hop spider. Using US-05 as it has served me well on my other IPA's. BS has this one coming in at 6.1% based on my efficiency, so looking forward to it as DFH60 is one of my favorite go-to IPA's. Thanks, Yoop!

“The best beer is where priests go to drink. For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.” — William Shakespeare, The Winter’s Tale

Barefoot Hillbilly Brewing

Kegged: Sam's Summer Ale, House Brown Ale, Summer Ale, Zombie Dust clone
Bottled: Punkin Ale, Chocolate Milk Stout
Fermenting: SNPA clone
Keg/Bottle Conditioning:
On Deck:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 12:46 AM   #2082
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopinJim View Post
Brewing this up tomorrow. Looked at the "sessionable" aspect, and dropped the base to 11 lbs, but I could only get Crisp Amber and I went with pale ale base instead of regular pale 2-row. Same hop schedule, get to try out my newly-built hop spider. Using US-05 as it has served me well on my other IPA's. BS has this one coming in at 6.1% based on my efficiency, so looking forward to it as DFH60 is one of my favorite go-to IPA's. Thanks, Yoop!
I made this today. Well, sort of. I changed it up, making more my "house IPA" than the DFH clone it started out to be.

I used 20 pounds of two-row and 1 pound crisp amber malt for a 10 gallon batch, so I'd end up with less than 6% ABV. I really like session IPAs, so I can have a couple of them and still be functional.
Gold_Robber Likes This 
Old 09-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #2083
DocScott
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 83 Posts

I'm going to brew a version of this on Sunday but I don't have any more amarillo. Would you suggest Citra or Cascade to substitute?

Old 09-21-2013, 12:28 AM   #2084
ong
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocScott
I'm going to brew a version of this on Sunday but I don't have any more amarillo. Would you suggest Citra or Cascade to substitute?
Cascade is closer. Ahtanum would be nice.

Oregonians: trade canned goods, homebrew, fresh produce, and more at chowswap.org!

Old 09-21-2013, 12:58 AM   #2085
DocScott
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ong
Cascade is closer. Ahtanum would be nice.
Thanks. I wrote it up with cascade. Used all my Amarillo in double jack and 90 min clones this year.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #2086
HopinJim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

So I kegged this up on Thursday, and it's drinkable today. Now let me just say, I am a HUGE DFH 60 fanboy...been to the brewpub, been to the brewery, got the t-shirt...love the stuff. But I would say that this recipe is as good, if not slightly better! The bitterness seems a touch smother than the "real" DFH. Hats off to you, Yooper, this is a keeper! Will now be my house IPA. As I stated in my earlier post, I lightened up the base grain bill a little, to 11# of Pale Ale malt, and the ABV came in at 6.3, which is pretty much spot on for what I was shooting for.
Thanks, Yoop!

“The best beer is where priests go to drink. For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.” — William Shakespeare, The Winter’s Tale

Keg/Bottle Conditioning:
On Deck:

Old 09-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #2087
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopinJim View Post
So I kegged this up on Thursday, and it's drinkable today. Now let me just say, I am a HUGE DFH 60 fanboy...been to the brewpub, been to the brewery, got the t-shirt...love the stuff. But I would say that this recipe is as good, if not slightly better! The bitterness seems a touch smother than the "real" DFH. Hats off to you, Yooper, this is a keeper! Will now be my house IPA. As I stated in my earlier post, I lightened up the base grain bill a little, to 11# of Pale Ale malt, and the ABV came in at 6.3, which is pretty much spot on for what I was shooting for.
Thanks, Yoop!
I'm glad you like it as much as I do! I really love this beer. I'm drinking it right now (at this moment, in fact) but used BRY-97 for the yeast, and a higher sulfate water than I normally do, and I just don't like it as much as the "regular" version.

This one has a more pronounced almost exaggerated firm bitterness and less hops aroma. I did read on the BRY-97 description that beers could be less hoppy due to high flocculation, but it's still firmly bitter. I'm going to make the next batch exactly according to the recipe!

Old 09-25-2013, 02:09 AM   #2088
HopinJim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well, I just used good ol' US-05, and it tastes wonderful! As an experiment though, I might actually try it with either s-04 or one of the other English strains just for curiosity's sake.

Keg/Bottle Conditioning:
On Deck:

Old 10-12-2013, 01:25 AM   #2089
HopinJim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just had to say it...so it's been a couple of weeks or so now since this became drinkable, and now that it's "cleared" and aged a bit, it is now my favorite! So now I have two "house brews"...this and my brown ale. Guess I need to publish the recipe for my brown and see if anybody else likes it as much as the folks here do...

Keg/Bottle Conditioning:
On Deck:

Yooper Likes This 
Old 10-20-2013, 02:59 AM   #2090
giorgio-alemani
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just finished my brew day and I am so excited. Thanks to Yooper I had many of my questions answered and I am now very confident. Wort smelled so delicious and I got 1.070 with the DME version. Can't wait to see how it ferments. Thanks Yooper, you have been a great help!

Quick Reply