Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #2071
TrubHead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbeer View Post
Just tasted mine. The ringwood yeast got it down to 1.014 in about 7 days @ 65f. Then 7 days at 70f. It has cleared really nice. It tasted great, no noticeable off flavors yet. I will probably use this yeast again.
Had an English style ale brewed using 1187 and think it tastes better with age. Definitely using 1187 again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #2072
MikeyLXT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed my 60 minute clone (now named Train Wreck 1) this weekend as a BIAB All-Grain.

Everything went very well and my temps were basically spot on. I ended up splitting the hops up with my scale so that every 2.5 minutes I was making an addition. It ended perfectly with my last addition at flame out. OG was slightly low at 1.065 but this is most likely due to having a slightly more volume into my fermentor then anticipated. I still havent nailed down my absorption rate and my boil off rate. I should look into tracking that better.

It was bubbling away this morning when I checked it 12 hours after adding the yeast from the starter.

This will be my 1st recipe on the keg.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #2073
Jonny-V
Recipes 

Looking to do recipe this using BIAB method.
However, my brewpot is only a 10 gallon Polarware unit.
Will this be too small?
I have a 10 gallon Igloo cooler that I had intended to make into a mash tun, but once I started brewing BIAB, I never got the false bottom, etc.
Would I be better off converting my cooler and doing this the "traditional" AG way?
BIAB is just so easy.....

Old 08-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #2074
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I have a 10 gallon brew pot as well and have done BIAB. It can be done but I prefer to stick to grain bills that are 10lbs or less. not because of size of pot, but more for working with over ten pounds of saturated grains is a real pain. squeezing the goodness from bag at that weight sucks.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 08-26-2013, 01:13 AM   #2075
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 323 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 153

Thanks for the recipe Yooper. I ended up bumping this one ahead one spot in my pipeline because I was very intrigued with a 'no crystal' IPA. I brought the gravity down to 1.058 and IBUs down to about 57 to make it a bit more sessionable, though it'll still weigh in at about 6% ABV at full attenuation. My bittering charge (chinook) was put in all at 60 minutes, and my "continuous" hopping didn't begin until 15 minutes but I tried to keep dropping in pellets of hops at every minute or two. I made sure to save some left for a flameout addition and quickly brought the temp down to 175F for a 15 minute steep. I'm really looking forward to the final product because it's a new take for me on this style.

Thanks for keying my into an IPA recipe without any crystal - I'll let you know the end product turns out.

Cheers!

Old 08-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #2076
Viejo
Rebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hmm. I did a similar experiment making a DFH 60 Min clone without crystal, substituting Munich instead, and it turned out quite different than my prior attempt, which was pretty close to the real deal. I don't think I'd recognize this version as a knock-off of the original, even though it's very good.

To compensate for the lack of crystal, I bumped the mash temp up to 155 to produce a fuller body. It's the lightest colored beer I've ever made, and deceptively full-bodied, but I think I prefer the version with crystal. Just a little caromel-y-ness missing that I like.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #2077
Viejo
Rebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I meant "caramel-y-ness". In case there is such a word, it should be spelled correctly, at least!

Old 08-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #2078
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The recipe of base malt and Thomas Fawcett Amber is clone worthy, no crystal is going get it to taste like DF60. Also, this beer SHOULD be 6% ABV. Not sure why some people are making it so its 7+ ABV. At this moment DF is saying they use Simcoe and Palisade. Having said all that its your beer, make it how you want

Old 08-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #2079
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4469 Times on 3252 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivdrinks View Post
The recipe of base malt and Thomas Fawcett Amber is clone worthy, no crystal is going get it to taste like DF60. Also, this beer SHOULD be 6% ABV. Not sure why some people are making it so its 7+ ABV. At this moment DF is saying they use Simcoe and Palisade. Having said all that its your beer, make it how you want
I've been making this recipe a bit differently for my House IPA over the last couple of years. I kept the hopping the same, and changed the grainbill to 10 pounds two-row, and kept the 6 ounces of TF amber malt. I normally get an OG of 1.055-1.057 or so, which comes out perfectly for me since it's more quaffable. I mash lower, and get a FG of 1.010. It's 6% ABV.

I never use crystal malt in it, but I have it for the extract recipe since TF amber malt is a "mash only" grain and it's not bad in the extract version. The AG version does not contain crystal malt!

Of course, I no longer consider it a "clone", but that's what I drink for my House IPA.
Gold_Robber Likes This 
Old 08-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #2080
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

I've been making this recipe a bit differently for my House IPA over the last couple of years. I kept the hopping the same, and changed the grainbill to 10 pounds two-row, and kept the 6 ounces of TF amber malt. I normally get an OG of 1.055-1.057 or so, which comes out perfectly for me since it's more quaffable. I mash lower, and get a FG of 1.010. It's 6% ABV.

I never use crystal malt in it, but I have it for the extract recipe since TF amber malt is a "mash only" grain and it's not bad in the extract version. The AG version does not contain crystal malt!

Of course, I no longer consider it a "clone", but that's what I drink for my House IPA.
Wasnt debating you Yooper, it was for all the other people on here changing your recipe and brewing it to 8%. Forgot about the crystal in the extract recipe, my bad on that. FWIW I brewed the recipe with Palisade once and didn't care for it, YMMV.

Quick Reply