Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #2051
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'm coming around on my batch. Not sure whether it's getting better with time, or I'm just learning to love it. All my Cali Ale Yeast ales are great fresh, but I fermented this with Denny's Favorite. It was very cloudy and took a while to clear. Now that it's clear, I'm able to enjoy it more. The hop taste and aroma isn't what I'm used to in big hoppy IPAs, but the one ounce of mid to late hopping come through better than expected and overall the beer has a nice firm bitterness.

Overall, It's a nice session IPA... think I used 10 or 11 lbs base malt instead of the 13 suggested. I'll probably brew this again... next time with a different yeast and may fiddle with the specialty malts a bit. Especially considering it's dirt cheap to brew compared to some of the hop burst, west coast IPAs. This one was under $20 with harvested yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2013, 02:13 AM   #2052
CrazyJoeMalloy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

After a long hiatus I took my first crack at extract brewing yesterday and this was the recipe I decided to go with, I'm very excited to see how it turns out.

I ended up making substitutions for all the hops on account of the unavailability of two locally (Warrior & Simcoe) and I figured "what the hell, go for broke" and went on to replace the works. This may have been a mistake, time will tell, as it always does.

On the other hand I've never had any DFH before since we can't get it here...yet. There may be hope in the future, but I digress.

The point is, I didn't head out to make a clone so much as an interesting IPA, hopefully that's what I get.

For posterity/thoughts/opinions/predictions here are the substitutions I made (with the help of the LHBS):

• Nugget in place of Warrior
  • Centennial in place of Amarillo
  • Magnum in place of Simcoe

4kg (8.8lbs) of LME instead of 4.3kg (9.5lbs) and I slightly overshot my steeping temp, managed to hold it under 170F - about 160-165F but almost lost it, once the grain went in I guess the heat retention ability of the water shot up - or it least it seemed that way.

...and now that I just re-read the recipe I forgot the Irish Moss - D'oh! I may have to try clearing it in the secondary...we'll see. Oh well, I was bound to forget something.

I look forward to butchering someone else's fine work soon!!

Old 07-17-2013, 05:09 AM   #2053
jackers252
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey Yooper, I'm about to do a 10 gallon batch (AG). Any recommendations on yeast? I can't get Pacman and saw you were trying some different strands. Which ones are working best for you now?

I am thinking WLP002 in one 5 gallon batch and WLP007 in the other. Any recommendations?

Old 07-25-2013, 02:12 AM   #2054
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4929 Times on 3574 Posts
Likes Given: 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackers252 View Post
Hey Yooper, I'm about to do a 10 gallon batch (AG). Any recommendations on yeast? I can't get Pacman and saw you were trying some different strands. Which ones are working best for you now?

I am thinking WLP002 in one 5 gallon batch and WLP007 in the other. Any recommendations?
My favorite is WLP001, and it's been my favorite for quite a while. It enhances the hops well, and it seems to clear faster than the similar Wyeast 1056 for me.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 07-25-2013, 02:48 AM   #2055
pfgonzo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Yoop, 001 over the pacman yeast listed in the original recipe?

Old 07-25-2013, 02:51 AM   #2056
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4929 Times on 3574 Posts
Likes Given: 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfgonzo View Post
Yoop, 001 over the pacman yeast listed in the original recipe?
Maybe not! I haven't had pacman in quite a long time, so I don't think I ever tasted them side by side. I've been using WLP001 for a few years, and like it.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 07-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #2057
MarkInBuffalo
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Excited for this one Yooper. Halfway through my second batch of this today. 2 - 6 gallon batches. First was with pacman, second with ringwood. Slight water profile alterations between the two. Looking forward to a month from now.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:54 AM   #2058
Viejo
Rebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 60 Min clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I think initially it was simcoe/amarillo/palisade. Then just simcoe/amarillo, and later simcoe/palisade. I'm not sure of when it changed, though.
Wow, this is a long thread on DFH 60 Minute (assuming it still is). Just saw a video of Sam featuring their 61, and his brewmaster mentioned the hops used in 60 as Warrior, Simcoe and Palisade, not Amarillo. I love Amarillo, but I'll be interested to see how Palisade works next time.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #2059
Boegman
Recipes 

Let us know about Ringwood. Can't get pacman in Canada and have heard mixed reviews of Ringwood. So brewed today with Denny's Fav.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #2060
pfgonzo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Tasted a bottle yesterday and think I have an off flavor, but have a hard time describing it. I fear it's diacetyl, but that shouldn't be possible with my temps (66 for 5 days and raised to 70 for 7 before chilling to speed settlement. It's still early, so I'll check in in another two weeks.

If the flavor doesn't improve I don't think I'll use pacman again.

Quick Reply