Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #2031
sivdrinks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

Yep!
Well it was nice almost meeting you! So whatta ya think about the Palisade/Simcoe combo they list for the 60? I did one but with S04 and didn't like it, probably the yeast more guilty than the hops.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #2032
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivdrinks View Post
Well it was nice almost meeting you! So whatta ya think about the Palisade/Simcoe combo they list for the 60? I did one but with S04 and didn't like it, probably the yeast more guilty than the hops.
I think initially it was simcoe/amarillo/palisade. Then just simcoe/amarillo, and later simcoe/palisade. I'm not sure of when it changed, though.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #2033
pfgonzo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Took a gravity reading today. Sat at 63F for 6 days and I'm at 1.010 (OG was 1.062). Going to give it another couple days, but now I'm torn on what I want to do.

Option 1: Cold crash to settle the yeast. Rack and harvest/wash the cake, and dry hop in the secondary.

Option 2: Let it clear at the current temp for another week or so, and dry hop in primary, then cold crash and prep to bottle. Don't bother harvesting yeast.

Option 3: Cold crash to settle yeast, and then warm back up to dry hop in primary, not worrying about either secondary or harvesting/washing yeast.

Decisions decisions...

Taste was amazing by the way.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:44 AM   #2034
rossi46
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfgonzo
Took a gravity reading today. Sat at 63F for 6 days and I'm at 1.010 (OG was 1.062). Going to give it another couple days, but now I'm torn on what I want to do.

Option 1: Cold crash to settle the yeast. Rack and harvest/wash the cake, and dry hop in the secondary.

Option 2: Let it clear at the current temp for another week or so, and dry hop in primary, then cold crash and prep to bottle. Don't bother harvesting yeast.

Option 3: Cold crash to settle yeast, and then warm back up to dry hop in primary, not worrying about either secondary or harvesting/washing yeast.

Decisions decisions...

Taste was amazing by the way.
If it were me, I would warm to 67 for a couple days, then dry hop, then cold crash.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #2035
pfgonzo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I have this instinct to cold crash before dry hopping to get more of the yeast out of suspension. My last few dry hop attempts came out muted, and I've read that yeast flocs will bind the hop oils and drag them down, so you lose some floral goodness.

I'd wait for it to settle naturally, but I'm impatient

Old 07-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #2036
RickBrewski
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hi everyone,

Got a question on Dry Hopping this beer. Brewed last sunday, been fermenting at 62 for 6 days using US 05, Now I am getting close to dry hopping and want to know what to use to dry hop it. I cant find it in the original post or the 200 + pages on this thread.

Any help would be appreciated since this is my First IPA. I usually brew just Ales, mostly BierMunchers Centennial Blonde and EdWorts Haus Ale.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #2037
Floydsview
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From Yooper:
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops
Ferment until completely done, and then allow to rest. Two weeks is pretty good. Then, rack to a clean 5 gallon carboy and dry hop with the dryhopping hops. You can either just put them into the fermenter and rack onto them, or use a hops bag if you=d like. Just don=t pack them tightly, you want the beer to be in contact with the hops. Use two or three bags if you need them. After about a week, you can rack to a bottling bucket avoiding the hops chunks, and bottle. Prime as usual, with approx. 3.5- 4 ounces priming sugar for 5 gallons of beer. You may have less than 5 gallons, due to the hops sucking up some of the beer, that=s why 3.5-4 ounces is a good bet.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #2038
RickBrewski
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydsview View Post
From Yooper:
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops
Ferment until completely done, and then allow to rest. Two weeks is pretty good. Then, rack to a clean 5 gallon carboy and dry hop with the dryhopping hops. You can either just put them into the fermenter and rack onto them, or use a hops bag if you=d like. Just don=t pack them tightly, you want the beer to be in contact with the hops. Use two or three bags if you need them. After about a week, you can rack to a bottling bucket avoiding the hops chunks, and bottle. Prime as usual, with approx. 3.5- 4 ounces priming sugar for 5 gallons of beer. You may have less than 5 gallons, due to the hops sucking up some of the beer, that=s why 3.5-4 ounces is a good bet.
Thank you So much!

Old 07-11-2013, 12:24 AM   #2039
Dovage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivdrinks View Post
Yes, let us know. Did it with S04 last batch and didn't like.
Got to try this finally! Well... First the S-04 gave it a slight funk, I mean real slight but it is there at the start, I fermented too warm

Second, my bud at the LHBS didn't have Fawcett Amber, so I subbed with Victory Malt, When tasted side by side, DFH has a sweet almost brown sugar vibe to it, compared to mine.

All in all I'm happy, it still taste great and has a nice crisp finish. Next time a "No" to the S-04, and now that I have a Ferm Chamber, a "NO" to high ferm. temps.

Brewing since January 2013 BIAB
Beer, the cause of and answer to all of life's problems-Homer J. Simpson
Primary- Elephant Gun IPA
Bottled- Handy Men IPA
Residual Boulder Brown Ale

Old 07-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #2040
thisisbeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I read a few pages but to many post to go through so I apologize if this has been talked about. This will be my first IPA and I was going to use 1187 wyeast. Does that sound like it will work? I see a lot of posts on pacman Nottingham etc. I can run and pick some up I suppose. But I had this on hand to brew another IPA then changed my mind to this one.

edit: Never mind stupid question

Quick Reply