Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2013, 02:41 AM   #2011
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Brewed this tonight... for some reason got terrible efficiency. Went with 11 instead of 13 lbs base malt thinking it would get me closer to the 6% abv DFH, but ended up with an OG of only 1054. Other than that, brew day went well. Looking forward to trying it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #2012
Broham1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts

I'm planning on brewing 10 gals of this soon, following OP to the letter...
Except...
I plan to split the batch and do 5 gals as an India Pale Lager. Anyone care to recommend a good lager yeast for this recipe?

Old 06-09-2013, 02:37 AM   #2013
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts

Interesting idea. White Labs 800 Pilsner Yeast. Should give you a clean crisp beer that will accentuate the hops.

Once I get my keezer set up, it'll open up my extra fridge for fermenting and I plan on doing a pilsner with the 800. I've used it in the past and liked the results.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #2014
SudsyPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Holy crap, this new batch has been a gong-show for me.

I racked too early and had a FG of 1.020, definitely too high for my liking. I didn't notice until after 10 days of dry-hopping, so I just pitched some fresh US-05 in each carboy and it's bubbling away. I'll rack to a keg in a week and see what insane concoction I've brewed up.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #2015
Dovage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Just bottled mine. Followed the recipe pretty closely, except I used S-04, no particular reason why. I didn't get very good efficiency 51% according to BeerSmith, but the sample tasted really good Still, it got down to 1.002 frome 1.046, which figures at 6% after temp. adjust. Should be quite delicious in 3 weeks. I'll repost when I crack one.

Brewing since January 2013 BIAB
Beer, the cause of and answer to all of life's problems-Homer J. Simpson
Primary- Elephant Gun IPA
Bottled- Handy Men IPA
Residual Boulder Brown Ale

Last edited by Dovage; 06-19-2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: added info

Old 06-20-2013, 01:52 AM   #2016
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovage
Just bottled mine. Followed the recipe pretty closely, except I used S-04, no particular reason why. I didn't get very good efficiency 51% according to BeerSmith, but the sample tasted really good Still, it got down to 1.002 frome 1.046, which figures at 6% after temp. adjust. Should be quite delicious in 3 weeks. I'll repost when I crack one.
Yes, let us know. Did it with S04 last batch and didn't like.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #2017
burningbaal
Recipes 

Update:
-> to remind: I couldn't get warrior, used colombus instead, amarillo was only available in leaf, all others in pellet.
-> used extract recipe, but forgot irish moss
-> new burner cause wildly inaccurate steeping temperatures (target 67 celcius, good thing it wasn't all-grain!) and two episodes of boil-over, 45 minute steep
-> brewed a double (10gal) batch
-> 1oz simcoe, 3oz amarillo and 2oz colombus were FWH'd (last 30min of steep, left through 60' boil)
-> 15min knockdown after boil (remove from heat, chiller off)
-> upon cooling, added remaining hops at 170farenheit, until target temp for whirlpool hopping
-> split to two fermenters, adding 28oz honey (not clover) to one
-> used a smackpack of pacman in each fermenter
-> rack each after 1week to secondary
-> add 3/4cup lemon zest to the one with honey for 2nd (final) week of secondary (one orange used)
-> bottle-carbed using std corn sugar for non-lemon/honey, primed with more honey for the lemon/honey one (used 1.2oz honey per oz of sugar called for)

ended up about 6.4% in regular, 7.2% in lemon-honey (no doubt due to extra sugars from 28oz of honey in primary)
took almost 5 weeks for regular to fully carbonate, nearly 8 weeks for lemon to carbonate.

other than the VERY slow carbonation process, they are delicious.

only advice (other than figuring out the carbonation issue): the lemon was too much on the day of bottling, but by the time it carbonated, the lemon was a background note, not forward at all. I'll probably use at least 1cup of lemon zest next time, probably for both weeks of secondary.

Opinion: tons of hoppiness, comfortably bittered, smells like you're walking through a hop farm. Delicious; I plan on making this again soon, not sure which I'll do, contemplating moving more hops in FWH, from whirlpool.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #2018
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Brewed 8g of this months ago. It didn't turn out. This is the second time I've brewed this; the first came out great. This last batch I split 5g into one fermenter and 3g into another. I added apricots and apricot spread to the 3g.

So far the beer has a odd off taste. It's like a plastic/melted plastic taste that adds an odd bitterness to it. My sanitation is good, my yeast came from a previous batch without issues, the brew went well, nothing was changed. The hops and grains should have been fresh, I seal my grains in bags and hops with a vacuum sealer. I use Chico yeast and ferment in a freezer at 64 for 3-4 weeks, crash cool and gel for another week. Im thinking the extract I used to make the starter contributed to the odd taste. It's 5 years old, but I had used it several times before.

I'm pretty disappointed with it. I've left the cases in the garage to see if it mellows. This is the first batch since I started that hasn't turned out. I'm wondering if Yooper or someone has experience with this.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #2019
pfgonzo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Just stopped by MoreBeer (3 miles away!) and bought the ingredients for this. Brewing it up tomorrow; can't wait! Like others have done, I did end up going with only 12lbs of 2-row instead of 13, but that's just because my efficiency lately has been around 80% and I'm trying to stick close to the recipe. At the counter, the guy who rung me up immediately said, "IPA?" After I said yes, he asked "Dogfish head?"

Whoa!

Old 06-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #2020
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

I made a lower ABV version of this today. I love it, but I wanted something under 5.5% so I reduced the base malt a bit. I'm also trying two different yeast strains.

For one fermenter, I'm using dry BRY-97. For the other, I'm using Wyeast's Northwest ale yeast. We'll see how that comes out.

I kept the hopping basically the same but did additions at 15/10/5/0 instead of continous.

Quick Reply