Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #1991
SudsyPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Glad you've had good luck with dry-hopping in the primary, Yooper. I'm pretty lazy and will likely do the same. I'll use a hop bag, though. I'm pretty good at fishing that sucker out of the carboys.

Both my carboys are bubbling like mad after pitching US-05 in both... and no sign of infection, despite the fact that I dropped my whole gorilla forearm into the chilled wort to remove my stupid bazooka screen.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2013, 04:20 AM   #1992
Brew-Dog
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Brewed this mean mama on Sunday and it's bubbling like crazy and had to attache a blow-off tube. It already smells amazing. I had to toss a wet t-shirt around it to keep the temp down. My gf says I take better care of my beer than her.

Thanks for the awesome recipe Yopper. Can't wait to bottle it!

PS. I just finished reading every single page of this thread (over a two week period). What am I going to read now when I'm supposed to be working?

Old 05-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #1993
SudsyPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

There are a few good threads about other beers... GO! I hear lots of people talk about Apfelwein

After 6 days, my AG batch has calmed right down. I'll keep an eye on it to see how well it clarifies. I'm hoping it'll be done soon, since I'm dying for another good IPA in-house. I have a Cascade Willamette IPA, but that thing is vanishing fast.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #1994
Pilori
Recipes 

I'm going to do this as my second AG as a 2.5 gallon. However, I have two 3 gallon pots. I was planning on doing this in a BIAB technique split between the two pots. Does anyone see any problem with taking the 5 gallon recipe posted, halving it, and then just doing it as a BIAB between the two pots?

Old 05-29-2013, 04:40 AM   #1995
Brew-Dog
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I've had this one in the fermenter for nine days now. Just stole a little sample. It is awesome! I'm almost reluctant to dry hop because it already tastes amazing. SG= 1.012, I'm sitting at about 7.6% ABV but I wouldn't have even noticed it's that strong because the flavour is so nice.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #1996
SudsyPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

The Simcoe adds so much to this thing, as an IPA... it's amaze-balls.

Mine's been going for 12 days, and is still ugly as sin, thanks to US-05. I'll give it until next Monday and then this sucker gets dry-hopped (and potentially racked to secondary)

Old 06-05-2013, 04:06 AM   #1997
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Picked up ingredients for this. To make it closer to the original, I may tweak it just a bit. For example, I think the DFH has an og of 1060 and is 6%, so I'll go with 11 lbs of base malt. Pretty sure I recall 6 malts, base being MO, and 6 hops in the original, but I'll certainly trust you guys that 6 oz of amber malt and the hop schedule will get me close. I think DFH finishes a bit on the heavy side and a little malty for an IPA... probably closer to 1015, so I may use a little carapils or even a little crystal so it doesn't finish too low. Again, so it doesn't attenuate too much I might ferment with some Denny's 50 rather than Cali Ale. I could see 97% base malt and Cali Ale yeast getting this thing to the 1005 range.

Did anyone try keg hopping rather than dry hopping this. I love keg hopping my West Coast IPAs, but I'm thinking dry hopping will give me more of a sticky hop character that's more to the DFH style.

Sorry for messing with the OPs recipe too much, I certainly trust that it's spot on. Just have a hard time not making a beer my own. Must be the homebrewer in me.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:10 AM   #1998
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Also, am I reading the hop schedule right. One ounce of finishing hops (35 minute mark on) and an ounce and a half of dry hops?

Seems way low?

Old 06-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #1999
SudsyPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Holy crap... I racked this to secondary without taking a OG reading (stupid) and it was 1.018 when I racked and it was roasty as all hell. Not sure what happened to this brew, but it's not nearly as tasty as my extract version. Here's hoping that dry-hopping and carbonating/conditioning will do it some good. I know that amber malt can be pretty roasty at first, but given a month or so it mellows out.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #2000
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4924 Times on 3570 Posts
Likes Given: 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by SudsyPaul View Post
Holy crap... I racked this to secondary without taking a OG reading (stupid) and it was 1.018 when I racked and it was roasty as all hell. Not sure what happened to this brew, but it's not nearly as tasty as my extract version. Here's hoping that dry-hopping and carbonating/conditioning will do it some good. I know that amber malt can be pretty roasty at first, but given a month or so it mellows out.
"Roasty"? Did you only use 6 ounces of amber malt? The only way I can see it tasting roasty is if brown malt was used instead of amber malt.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Quick Reply