Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2013, 05:21 AM   #1961
milsman2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Will the hops in the beer already in the keg drop out allright?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 12:48 AM   #1962
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4958 Times on 3589 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by milsman2 View Post
Will the hops in the beer already in the keg drop out allright?
Maybe. Or, they can get sucked up in the diptube and clog up the keg dispensing. I don't let hops debris loose in my kegs, because they can easily clog up the whole works.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 05-02-2013, 06:35 AM   #1963
TheDudeAndWalter
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I brewed this up on Sunday. Mashed at about 153...hit that temp give or take a degree over the 60 minute mash. Hit postboil OG of 1.062. Pitched a roughly 2 L starter of WLP005 that had been going for about 24 hours. Fermented at 68.

Had a pretty vigorous fermentation but did not need to have a blowoff tube...lots of bubbling in the airlock though. It's slowed down considerably....so I took a small sample to taste and do a refract reading. today (almost day four of primary)

Two things

1.) The refract read 7.4 Brix, which when corrected with the tool in Beersmith gave me a reading of 1.009. That's 84.7% apparent attenuation. I think AA is what the yeast companies provide. Are their numbers the numbers for a single vial? White Labs says WLP005 tops out at 74%. Did I really get that much attenuation? Its just weird that if I did, I didn't have to install a blowoff. Anyone experience high attenuation with this yeast/.

2.) Tasted the sample and I didn't get much in the way of bitterness. Some was there for sure, but I don't know...didn't quite taste as bitter as an american IPA should be. It was quite sweet still...I'm guessing this might because the beer is still so young and is cleaning up. Anyone else experience this when brewing this one?

"Two Oat Sodas, Gary"

Old 05-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #1964
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 769 Times on 501 Posts
Likes Given: 671

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAndWalter View Post
2.) Tasted the sample and I didn't get much in the way of bitterness. Some was there for sure, but I don't know...didn't quite taste as bitter as an american IPA should be.Anyone else experience this when brewing this one?
Yup, the 2 batches I've made of this so far are definitely more "hoppy" than "bitter." I'm actually brewing it again this weekend, but I'm tweaking the recipe a little bit this time. I'm upping it to a full ounce of Warrior at 60 minutes, and I might sprinkle in another quarter-ounce (leftovers from a previous batch) during the first 30 minutes of the boil. I want to crank the bitterness up to 11.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:39 AM   #1965
milsman2
Recipes 

I'm definitely getting more hoppy than straight bitterness as well but it's a very pleasant beer overall. I would have upped the bitterness a hair but other than that great brew overall. I actually drank a bit next to a DFH 60 commercial bottle and liked mine better. The hops cleared up and the color is spot on.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #1966
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I'd like to further tweak this recipe to move the colour a bit further down the spectrum, to a nice, rich, copper hue. It looks like 8-10 oz of Crystal 120 will get me there, but what implications will that have on flavour? Is that too much Crystal 120? Should I use more of a lower-Lovibond malt? Or maybe a pinch of something darker? How would you modify this recipe to get a nice, copper colour?

Old 05-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #1967
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat
I'd like to further tweak this recipe to move the colour a bit further down the spectrum, to a nice, rich, copper hue. It looks like 8-10 oz of Crystal 120 will get me there, but what implications will that have on flavour? Is that too much Crystal 120? Should I use more of a lower-Lovibond malt? Or maybe a pinch of something darker? How would you modify this recipe to get a nice, copper colour?
Maybe an ounce of Carafa or Debittered Black malt.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:02 AM   #1968
Brew-Dog
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I've been reading this thread for the past two weeks now and it's just getting me more excited to brew the extract version on Sunday. Anyway, sorry if my newbie questions have already been addressed, but I've read through 138 pages so far, and it's taking up a lot of time.

I know that there's no substitute for simcoe, but I can't get any. I'd have to make multiple orders to different online stores to complete the recipe and shipping in Canada really blows. So, does anyone have any recommendations on what they'd use instead. On page 123, Cerevisi suggested Falconers flight. Has anyone used this? Any other suggestions? Not saying that it has to be like simcoe, just something that would compliment amarillo and warrior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerevisi View Post
One thing for sure, I would not hesitate to recommend subbing Falconers for Simcoe if you have restricted access to Simcoe as I've been having. I love the added flavor and I may not revert back to the original recipe!
I plan on pitching two packets of US-05 because of the high gravity. Does this sound alright?

I'm going to dry hop in the primary fermenter. If I use lightly packed hop bags, will I get the same result as just tossing the hops directly into the fermenter? For some reason, I just keep imagining that it won't get dispersed as well.

Thanks for any advice that's offered!

Old 05-14-2013, 05:41 AM   #1969
Brew-Dog
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Directions:

Steep the crystal in a grain bag in 2.5 gallons of water at 150-155 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove the grains, and discard them.
I thought that the rule of thumb was to steep 1lb of specialty grains in 1 gallon of water. I've read threads that suggest that steeping in too much water will result in more tannins being released because of a higher pH level.

Also, would it be okay to steep the grains in a separate pot while you're already boiling your wort? Then add the specialty grain "tea" to the wort once it has finished steeping? Therefore, you would be adding it approx half way through your boil. You'd be able to shave off about 30 mins from the brewing process.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #1970
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-Dog View Post
I know that there's no substitute for simcoe, but I can't get any. I'd have to make multiple orders to different online stores to complete the recipe and shipping in Canada really blows.
My go-to online store is Canadian Homebrew Supplies. They've always had Simcoe in stock whenever I needed it.

Quick Reply