Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #1931
DustBow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

sorry, you're going to get all bitterness and barely any flavor if you hop it that way

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #1932
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

Agreed. Hop flavor and aroma will boil off, leaving only the buttering alpha acids.

I think your plan will accomplish the opposite of what you want.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #1933
TriggerFingers
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksanthony View Post
Hello all. First Post. Been registered and reading for awhile. Alot of great info. Thanks folks.

Was looking at using this recipe to clone DFH60IPA and recently picked up a sixer of this great beer (haven't had it in awhile). The aroma that I am getting has a distinct onion/garlic smell along with the citrus. This obviously wouldn't be accurate with the Amarillo, but maybe the Simcoe?? I am pretty new to homebrewing (couple years) and never brewed a batch with Simcoe. But from what I have read it is typically more piney?? Am I getting the onion-esque aroma from the Simcoe?? Thoughts?

I have made an All Amarillo Ale twice and both times have gotten a faint onion aroma when it was still young. After a few weeks I couldn't detect it anymore.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #1934
burningbaal
Recipes 

To the people who say I'm not going to get a smoother bitterness: have you actually brewed like this before, or are you assuming? Everytime I've read about someone doing this (though it seems rare), they've been thrilled with the results. I have read a few comments that it wasn't 'as hoppy' as they wanted, but I got the impression that they were upset that the bitterness was smoother. besides, dryhopping should add plenty of aroma if it's lacking when I rack it.

I'm getting the feeling that 98% of people just assume that there'll be no flavor/aroma left, but the ones who've actually tried it found that they had plenty.

really hoping to know if my 1qt/lb is a bad idea-I'll have to do the extract recipe if 1qt/lb won't work (10g batch)

Old 04-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #1935
DustBow

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yes, it's called "First Wort Hop" and it makes the bittering additions "smoother" compared to adding the bittering hops after the wort is already boiling. I've used FWH and I do think it works.
That being said, you're still boiling the hops for the entire 60 minutes and all of the flavor and aroma will be gone at the end of the boil.
FWH is technique for bittering additions, not flavor and aroma - those still have to come from late additions and whirlpool/steeping and dry hopping.

Even if using FWH, you're going to be adding a larger bittering addition at the beginning than the recipe calls for. So even the "smoother" bittering profile might come out more harsh than simply adding the Warrior at 60 and saving the Amarillo and Simcoe for later additions.

You're welcome to try it, brewing is all experimentation. But DFH 60/90 is all about the holy goodness of the Simcoe & Amarillo blend, and I'm afraid you're just going to boil it all away

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Old 04-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #1936
sparksanthony
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFingers

I have made an All Amarillo Ale twice and both times have gotten a faint onion aroma when it was still young. After a few weeks I couldn't detect it anymore.
Yeah, just finishing up my first batch of this that I brewed and damn, it was good. Didn't get the oniony aroma that I got that once from the real thing (have had several since then). I kinda liked the smell to be honest, it was different. May try an all Amarillo sometime. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:22 AM   #1937
TheDudeAndWalter
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Hola Brew Duderinos and Dudettes,
First time poster, long time lurker on the boards. I really want to brew the All-Grain clone of DFH 60 (most likely will go with Yooper's recipe). Here's my question:

I boil my all-grain brews indoors. I live in apartment and burning propane outside is not an option (unfortunately). Only way I can get a decent boil is by splitting it. So basically, run off everything into a bucket after the mash and sparge, mix well, check gravity, split equal into two 5 gallon pots, split hops accordingly, carry on as usual.

Now, I think my beers have come out pretty fine this way as far as hop utlization. However, I've never done an IPA this way.Does anyone think it would work if I did this with the continuous hopping method? So I'm thinking I just do the same thing as the other brews, except split my hops, continuously hop EACH boil kettle, and then mix into one fermenter. Obviously hop utilization is more critical in an IPA. So any issues I may be running into, in anyone's opinion?

Thanks!

"Two Oat Sodas, Gary"

Old 04-10-2013, 01:28 AM   #1938
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3848 Times on 2812 Posts
Likes Given: 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAndWalter View Post
Hola Brew Duderinos and Dudettes,
First time poster, long time lurker on the boards. I really want to brew the All-Grain clone of DFH 60 (most likely will go with Yooper's recipe). Here's my question:

I boil my all-grain brews indoors. I live in apartment and burning propane outside is not an option (unfortunately). Only way I can get a decent boil is by splitting it. So basically, run off everything into a bucket after the mash and sparge, mix well, check gravity, split equal into two 5 gallon pots, split hops accordingly, carry on as usual.

Now, I think my beers have come out pretty fine this way as far as hop utlization. However, I've never done an IPA this way.Does anyone think it would work if I did this with the continuous hopping method? So I'm thinking I just do the same thing as the other brews, except split my hops, continuously hop EACH boil kettle, and then mix into one fermenter. Obviously hop utilization is more critical in an IPA. So any issues I may be running into, in anyone's opinion?

Thanks!
Sure, that would work just fine.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:31 AM   #1939
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3848 Times on 2812 Posts
Likes Given: 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by burningbaal View Post
To the people who say I'm not going to get a smoother bitterness: have you actually brewed like this before, or are you assuming? Everytime I've read about someone doing this (though it seems rare), they've been thrilled with the results. I have read a few comments that it wasn't 'as hoppy' as they wanted, but I got the impression that they were upset that the bitterness was smoother. besides, dryhopping should add plenty of aroma if it's lacking when I rack it.

I'm getting the feeling that 98% of people just assume that there'll be no flavor/aroma left, but the ones who've actually tried it found that they had plenty.

really hoping to know if my 1qt/lb is a bad idea-I'll have to do the extract recipe if 1qt/lb won't work (10g batch)
I don't know who "the ones who've actually tried it found that they had plenty" are, but in my experience FWH works great, but in conjunction with plenty of late hops as well. It does leave behind a smoother bitterness, but not hops aroma or flavor. I'm fairly confident of my assessment, but if you don't believe us it's worth a try for yourself.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:44 AM   #1940
KeyWestBrewing
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 367 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 473

This may have been asked but...

How do you calculate IBUs when continuously hopping using mixed hop varieties? With one hop you can painstakingly evenly divide all the additions and enter them minute for minute into Beersmith. But I dont understand how to figure it out when you mix them. Unless you divide all the additions equally by weight then weigh out half of each hop for each addition. Which would be a royal PITA!!! Someone tell me theres an easier way to figure this out

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/cascades-key-west-333466/

Primary : Smoked Rye Saison
Primary : BBA Stout
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
On Tap : Edicion Regionales Inglaterra, Apple Pie Cider, Queen Ann's Revenge IPA
Bottled : Bourbon Chocolate Breakfast Stout
On Deck : Atocha Amber, FBS Clone, Red Wheat and Blue, Slob On My Rogg-enbier

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Quick Reply